Amazing module

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

cipher9

Amazing module

Post by cipher9 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:22 pm

I've been playing arelith only for a few days now but I've been on nwn for over a decade. Arelith's carefully constructed world blows my mind. Each zone I come across feels hand crafted, carefully placed together, especially the wilderness and dungeons. The goblinoid fortress is probably the single greatest dungeon I've ever seen, between it's checks and multiple entrances, various challenges all give it a great organic feeling. (That kill nest with the 4 gobs on pillars!!! that's amazing) It really felt like I was laying siege to a castle.

Then on the next dungeon I explored which was the orc caves it was very cool that the first magical beast I came across required a unique tactic to be killed (trolls), that impressed me greatly, it's the little things. In that dungeon I experienced a bit of DM fun, which was fantastically done and I appreciate this nameless person for doing so, it's also a credit to the arelith spawn system that I couldn't tell if it was the DM or the spawn system sending hordes of orcs at us until the necromancer showed up!

I have barely started to touch on the various systems of the game, but each one seems engaging I am just not even sure which one I want to try more, herbalism, forging, etc? I love that it's all mechanically implemented, and it leaves me awestruck with the work put into Arelith, especially when you caveat with the knowledge the server is hakless.

It's no wonder to me this server has thrived for so many years, now that I'm finally here. You guys did an outstanding job.

Diegovog

Re: Amazing module

Post by Diegovog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:21 am

Firstly, welcome to the server!

Secondly, I know the feeling! :) . I'm fairly new myself. I started this year I think. When I first joined I was like (OMG NOWAY all these fixtures like graves and pillars and statues are people-made!) and what seemed like an overwhelm of information and possibilities turned out to be a harmonic and self-developing culture. I still love to hear stories about how things were in the past, so having a character who is enjoys Arelithian history fulfills me both IC and OOC.

If you need any help with all the various systems, feel free to send me a tell in game!

The only thing that saddens me, is to think that someday this will all come to an end. That all the story built will be forever gone. Like a virtual graveyard of epic tales.

FrozenSolid

Post by FrozenSolid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:07 am

One thing to keep an eye out f or!

There's often times like Journals, or books etc, put down that you can examine. You can start to piece together how each "Dungeon" fits into its place on Arelith. They are often linked to other dungeons with lore, and once you realize like O: these guys and these guys work together?! It sort of gives a greater context as to what's going on!
*Didn't just do that* As an arrow flies hitting someone in the face.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 am

Welcome :)

It's been a labour of love from a great number of people over fifteen years, and we're very proud of what we created.

Much of the "spirit of Arelith" comes from the staff focusing on the module, and leaving the story of the world up to the players to craft. Much of the work we've done over the years was explicitly to give players more tools to tell stories... and being freed up from needing to tell the overarching story of the world means we've had more time to craft the module itself.

Very glad you're enjoying it, and thank you for the post!
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:23 am

cipher9 wrote: it's the little things. You guys did an outstanding job.
Correct.

X
It's all peaches 'n' cake!

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Welcome to Arelith, Makes me so very happy to get new people and up our player count to even greater numbers. Hope to see you around and have fun.