Take What is Yours - Alyara's Farewell

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Take What is Yours - Alyara's Farewell

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:51 pm

So, as some know, last night Alyara Xal'rae (formerly Torana) got her wish - her Hunter came back for her. She opted to depart with him into the shadows, and likely won't be back for some time. So I feel the need to spew out some kudos.

I'm going to forget people. Not intentionally. There's so much buzzing around in my head right now. I chose to return to the Underdark to RP more consistently with some buddies, and I have few regrets. It was a real treat to play the dysfunctional little sneak, and to watch her grow into what she did.
There'll be spelling mistakes too. Oops.

So from the top...

Erelyne Xal'rae - Well, that ended interestingly. The interaction always had such a broad spectrum of emotions attached and went from cold to hot and everything in between at the drop of a hat, and sometimes it was a challenge to keep up. I'm proud to say by the end, Aly learned not to fear her any more. Her blood, after all, flows the same as anyone else's. Erelyne was probably Aly's greatest nemesis and it was no secret it wasn't always fun, for either of us. But there were some real moments of quality, especially towards the end. I hope as players we can move forward from here.

Ryld Xal'rae - Public enemy number two, bat drow! You seemed to live to antagonise Aly, and it was hilarious for the player! Even when things got violent it was entertaining. Ryld also showed Aly it was possible to overcome one's nature, to become more than one is born. She learned it was possible to fall, and to get back up. Ryld was always unflappable in the face of Aly's taunts at first and it was only later Ryld ever seemed troubled by the scout.
I'm proud to say that in the end, "bat drow" was a term of endearment.

Aunilarra Zau'myr and Lucatiel Dermannes - "One drow and her human concubine do not a house make." Oh, how wrong Aly was. Aunilarra was such a powerful drow presence and exactly what the Underdark needed. They'll rally around that banner soon enough. I'll never forget the wonderful moment when Aunilarra seemed to catch on that "hang on, Aly's bi... or at least of negotiable sexuality."
And Lucatiel. Wow. That moment when you walked into the Hub and tried to give me the salt. I legitimately dropped a brick! I'll never know whether Aly got it right or not, but she's alive, so I must have gotten something right. Lucatiel had a way of putting the fear into Aly that she never quite put her finger on.

Arakh - Aly was happy to oblige in what became in her mind a two way arrangement. She considered going to work for him many times, but in the end, Lolth always won. One of my few regrets was never taking him up on that. The most powerful non-drow Aly knew, and always a delight to RP with in any form.
Vrigor had better make that damned sculpture! The one of a flappy angry imp with Arakh's head that says "Death to the Elves" automatically whenever approached. And it better have pride of place in the Sharps.

Kethan Xul'tarr - I hope he keeps that gem, and treasures it. Bouncing innuendo off you guaranteed laughs. Always. Aly definitely meant to take it (and she very definitely took something!) but in a sense, she's glad to leave something behind with the closest thing to a friend a drow can have. Who gave who one now? :p

Nalfein Xul'tarr - Why, oh why doesn't xanalress translate "patron" to "Ilharn?" Aly always had an admiration for the stoic warrior. How many things she was sure he was keeping inside and yet it only ever showed when he was about to become a father. He was like a deer in headlights at that point and it was so freaking funny.

Valdrin Xal'rae - Where to start? "You're a noble now, act like it." You bet she did, sadly only after he was gone, but she did, in spectacular fashion. Aly regrets nothing in this regard. In terms of all the distractions, all the things she did to escape the pain she was in, Valdrin was easily her favourite one. He really believed in her, and in the end, she believed it too. And he was terrifying when he was angry! From punishing naughty mages to banishing infernal seeds from drow silly enough to have consumed them.

Azaria Xal'rae and Dantrag – Azzie, her favourite sister and friendly competition. You're flying the shadow flag now, dear, so fly it high. And “Dannie” gets a mention just for that scene in the temple. It was just what Aly needed at that moment to know Lolth was still listening, and watching.

Kren'fryn Xal'rae - You are, and always will be Aly's “Warlord.” Scary scary stabby man. Additional kudos for being the first person to take the “player”, not the character, through Paush. I don't think I'll ever get rid of those blades.

Anek-kel Tarsys – You know what you did. :p

Rauvlin Barrith – That one wall Aly was never able to breach. Rauvlin represented a darker streak to Aly's personality that always came up in her presence. And served as a solid reminder of Aly's faith simply by not following it. Bonus points for providing the gonne that she used to great effect later on.

Osvalith - “That name means nothing compared to me.” A brave effort, nonetheless. Thank you for showing Aly that to settle for second is no way to live.

Ches'riia Arab'afin/Xal'rae - Probably the best teacher Aly had in the ways of Lolth. And definitely her main inspiration. She was a cruel mistress without being overbearing. She inspired fear without PVP. People, this is how you do Lolth. Watch and learn.

Malixtra Xal'rae – Saving some of the best till last here. That reverence when Aly first met her, that show of faith when she presented her blades to her first matron. I had no idea I'd end up joining the house but I knew I was onto something special there. Malix always seemed to see potential in Aly, that much was obvious, and she was always pushing her, giving her opportunities to prove her strength. I just hope I didn't disappoint. Having to stand up to her and show backbone at the end was a sad moment for me, I really had the feels when I was Rping that. But it ended up being a real “fear what I have become” moment. It was also an epiphany for Aly. To be drow, to serve Lolth, was for her to stand up and claim the things she wanted, and to be strong enough to defend them. It was also the moment she realised she wanted to be a priestess. Just not then and there. The time wasn't right. First, she needed her male, and an heir or two.

Speaking of whom. Last, but by no means freaking least. The utterly brilliant Rah'Velve. There at the beginning and at the end. The sheer amount of effort this guy put into Aly because somewhere in there was a spider worth waiting for. And she really made him wait, and probably question his sanity! Whether he was supporting her, nodding in the shadows as she did her thing, following him asking her many questions, killing things beside him, standing behind him at a meeting and plotting, or fighting one of Aly's many internal demons... only for her to let him down, catastrophically. She let him get away, and the pain was unbearable. She tried everything to forget that, but Rah was always one of the things she wanted most.
Aly always wanted to be more than “just another drow” and Rah provided so many opportunities to be that. She's not there yet, but she's well on the way. Those two are going to make some noise in the future, be it as themselves, or in the form of whatever mischief they're making out there.

Lolth tlu malla, illythiri. I'll see you fine folks around. Keep kicking elven Snuggybear. And each other's.

ChaoticCuriosity

Re: Take What is Yours - Alyara's Farewell

Post by ChaoticCuriosity » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:40 pm

All of our human-hunts wouldn't have been nearly as exciting with Alyara's tact and confusion two-some manouvers with her shadow clone!

Certainly hope, if she hasn't been rolled, that you one day return on her! The UD will certainly miss her tenacity I'm sure.
#MakeTeaGreatAgain
#GonnesAndRoses

hmm2

Post by hmm2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Axe only met you once, but it was a good meet. lol
10/10 would hit on again.
Plays as: Axe

EnigmaticSpirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by EnigmaticSpirit » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:11 am

ChaoticCuriosity wrote:All of our human-hunts wouldn't have been nearly as exciting with Alyara's tact and confusion two-some manouvers with her shadow clone!

Certainly hope, if she hasn't been rolled, that you one day return on her! The UD will certainly miss her tenacity I'm sure.
She'll be back, likely re-rolled as something else.

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:26 am

The saddest boy in all of existance. :(

Aunilarra will miss her unpredictable little shadow. Their relationship was as chaotic as Drow relationships should be, ranging from sincere intimacy to all-out flaming murder in the blink of an eye. Thanks. :)

Miskol
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Miskol » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Well its like you said, we grew to different sides, but somehow at last ended up on the same side whether by design or fate. Alyara is one of those characters that Ryld never really felt threatened around, but still often gets frustrated by. Great writing on this character and I hope Ryld and Alyara can one day meet up to bicker again.