The Great Dragon Rescue

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

SteelsSweets
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

The Great Dragon Rescue

Post by SteelsSweets » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:17 pm

I wish to give kudos to everyone involved in the Great Dragon Rescue event last night.

Everyone brought a unique aspect to the situation.

Dazza: Awesome interparty conflict. It was fun watching him try to not lose it on certain members of the party. Maybe a showdown will happen some day. Might lead to a "frenimy" situation... Also kudos for being the one to willingly step up and do the task that most did not want to do. It was done with a wonderful mixture of duty and compassion.

Terto: Mr I-haven't-killed-anything-this-cycle-and-I'm-getting-antsy. I loved his comments at the hole while he waited for the group to get ready to descend. Plus the interparty conflict for him stemming from him just being himself.

Dylo: LOL I often forget just how funny he is. He did his duty to a T. Protecting Bendir and stepping into the fray without fear. Though not many saw it, I think my favorite part was after most parted. Andy turned to Alex "We just had a baby, love." Dylo's reply had me rolling. From the background "Aww and he looks just like you!"

Sirian: Props for unknowingly stepping into the family s**t and not running for the hills. It was great watching his internal conflict at finding out the situation. Additionally watching him process his emotions at the final deed that needed to be done was awesome.

Last but certainly not least, Alex: He is too perceptive for his own good. Figuring out the situation almost instantly. I love watching his analytical mind work. I love it when alternative solutions are found beyond the "rawr smash it" approach. (Which, does have it's place, of course.)

Thank you everyone who played a part. Those poor commoners in Greyhammer will need therapy.

Oh and the DM who ran it. Wish: Much luvs man. Working to set up everything and crashing the server. That is a sign of an awesome event. It was amazing. I loved the plot situation we found ourselves in. I cried...

<3

~Sweets
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Catchup

Re: The Great Dragon Rescue

Post by Catchup » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:10 pm

It was a decidedly hin adventure (With hints of gnome frontliners and elven support) that ended up with an amazing twist.

Mighty is now yet another member of the adorably disfunctional family.

*Huggles*

-Catchup

azrael_athing

Post by azrael_athing » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Second the kudos for DM Wish for orchestrating this extraordinary chain of events that has troubled the Earthkin Alliance, (Gnomes in particular due to the nature of the Spriggans). We will await with great anticipation for the next chapter of this storyline.

IMO, this size of party (Six strong with Terto as the black sheep as the only non-good aligned?) is the best size of party, as all characters can give and receive RP that makes the own Character, and the Characters around them grow.

Breaking it down chapterwise into the two parts.

1st, A search for the source.
From a tremor inside the Hawkins Inn the combined forces of Burrowhome rose to the challange to combat yet another threat along the south hills. Followed by a wild chase backtracking the Spriggans to the source of their assault, with the assistance of a stray highelf.

Kudos part 1:
Sirian the highelf, for his unwavering willingness to fight this foe. Armed with not a sliver of knowlage what he is facing, corebook Lawful Good. (You certain you're not a paladin?). Our first encounter between our characters, hopefully not the last.

Ivory of Nothinton, sticking true to the character and Ivory's personal preference of remaining in forest, this ace-tracker simply can't find her way in even the most basic of caves. Everytime one travels with the most-elusive-gnome that is Ivory, I have yet to be dissapointed.

Dylonicoboondeflikk of the Hawkins, the Moral dilema that a good-aligned character can find in employing Demonic forces and finding a positive result, it could have been discarded as a trivial matter, you chose not too. Awaiting with anticipation what slippery slope of moral decay Dylo embarked on.

Mongo, Who would have thought, that the Axe-weilding feworded Halfling was the one sane enough not to take a ride with a Demon when it was offered. Thank you for tagging along and I hope you find time to play Mongo even more, as the fort just isn't the same without plenty of halflings.

2nd, the Rescue of a Dragon
Regrouping with the Halflings of Burrowhome to decend the freshly discovered hole in the ground to rid themselfs of this Scaled threat. Terto ofcourse having the underlying idea of that a solution to this problem clearly is to vanquish all of the Spriggans, Demons and Dragons in the vicinity, thankfully the halfings had other ideas of how to handle enslaved Dragons.

Kudos part 2:
Alexander, We knew beforehand that the aspiring halfling wizard wanted a dragon of his own. By trick of faith, (Or trick of Garl, as a Gnome would say). There was now one within his reach, thankfully the halfling also was capable of speaking Draconic, a usefull feat when speaking to Dragons, which opened up for the rescue of the dragon, rather then the butcher of it. You deliver valiantly, it's been said before and it will be said again, we should employ a fulltime Bard to follow your characters around writing down your chronicles.

ps. You better not leave it unattended, Terto got some problem with scalekin and you know... accidents happen.

Andriarna, Attempting her best at smoothing over the troubles of past between Dazza and Terto, who more and more seams to be willing to just brawl it out. Theres always something bubbling under the surface near the Dirtytoes family and their home, if it is not troubles from the Shadowrealm or the Unseelie court invading again, theres always domestic troubles to fill the agenda of the day. It remains to be seen if her attempts to make everyone happy will ever be fruitfull. Keep up the good work, it may seam like an uphill battle with all the Gnomes in Burrowhome, but Halfling RP, circle around the Elders of the Halflings, meaning you.

Dazza, We haven't played much you and I, but our characters are bitter rivals anyhow, over some missunderstandings that atleast in Terto's books, was all Dazza's fault. Given Andriarnas attempts to calm this feud the two of us simply need more time for our characters to grow on one another. Although it is possible that they will end up even greater rivals then they already are. Love to see Dazza more about the Dale, You never know when you need a burgler... right?

Dylo, (Second Kudus I know.) The Captain of the Hawkins valiantly charging into the fray of the battle, fearless, devout and certain the Lords favor him. The Golden Hills forbid that he ever gets a loss of faith.

Sirian, (Second Kudus) Not only, does the elf take the troubles of the island into his own personal agenda, he also sticks with the group of midgets that he found, despite they being a bunch of rude, murderous, obnoxious, moustachewearing Gnomes... Ok might just be Terto. You stuck with us anyhow, for the entire stretch, kudos for your tenacity.

And finally DM Wish, again. I can't imagine what pain it must have been as the server crashed and you had to set it all up for us again, it was lucky you got done when you did, else the party might have found enemies within their own ranks as they grew restless.

ps. We would have totaly died in the onslaught in the cave. However with some DM intervention victory was assured, cause we all think its a bit more fun when theres a happy ending don't we?
pps. I still don't understand how we were supposed to kill those Warlocks.

vawton

Post by vawton » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Yes, this was an amazing crescendo to the long series of Dale/Grotto adventures which I expect will continue for a while yet. Especially the earlier part where Dylo had to face his greatest moral dilemma so far.

Also big kudos to all the DMs that have been working since I came back from my break this year. Aside from all the great devs and players, it's the attitudes and imaginations of the DMs that truly make Arelith so special and simply the best NWN server ever.

And to the folks Sweets mentioned, I'll also add kudos to Mongo, and most especially to Ivory for their great parts in all these events.
"Tomorrow's just your future yesterday." -TV's Craig Ferguson

DM Wish

Post by DM Wish » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:28 pm

A great showing from all who took part - I was thoroughly impressed. To answer the two questions below:
azrael_athing wrote: pps. I still don't understand how we were supposed to kill those Warlocks.
The Warlocks ended up being 10 times harder than they were meant to be. They were based off of a boss spawn which I nulified a lot of the abilities of and reduced the stats of. After the crash hit and wiped all of my pre-made spawns from a few hours earlier I had to scramble to remake them all in the time of a few minutes and missed out a few of the nerfs; namely removing their greater ruin - hellball - dragon knight and lowering their AC substantially.

They were meant to be mini-bosses, rather than the small mountains of immortality that they ended up being.
azrael_athing wrote:We would have totaly died in the onslaught in the cave. However with some DM intervention victory was assured, cause we all think its a bit more fun when theres a happy ending don't we?
Here I am just going to casually offer the comment that - scouting is a thing~.
Should you want to send in someone ahead to check how the enemies are arranged and plan your tactics accordingly then please don't be afraid!
(A heads up to the DM channel so the spawns can be appropriately watching and interacted with is all I ask on that end.)

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:36 am

DM Wish blessed the good folks and the forgotten folks of Bendir Dale!

That was fun, well thought out and well performed. I think everyone enjoyed it. The part with the Big Hole and the demon was thrilling. Unfortunately, I had to leave in Greyhammer. It was getting too late in my timezone.

Props to everyone who went down in the kobold, orc and ogre caves!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.