Silvard Golems!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Fionn

Silvard Golems!

Post by Fionn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 am

Thank you so much! Still testing (and I already own the stones) but I was able to reclaim my Golems *after server transfer*. As long as crashes are a thing, this is a huge boon :)

Questions - are they still bonded to their control stone if we've not yet reclaimed them now? are they bonded if we're on another server? Formerly (I think) they could be destroyed without affecting the bonded stone if the owner had logged out/in since they'd been summoned. OTOH, formerly they were statues until server rest so ... ?
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

Orian_666

Re: Silvard Golems!

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 pm

I was tempted to name them properly, like real intricate types of stone and metal and all that.
But then I figured having people names would be more fun :D

As someone that thinks the Golem system is one of the most under rated/under used systems in the game i'm delighted to see work being done on it again.
Roll on new types :D

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Orian_666 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 pm
Roll on new types :D
I'm hoping with the HAKs we get smaller &/or weaker (e.f. Homunculus, Flesh, Wood, Grave, Ice, Sand...) Golems. Currently it takes PC15+ to use, and they're only effective in open areas until entry Epics. I like them for RP and farming Battlefield, but It would be neat if we could introduce them to far lower level toons.

If you do touch the system again, please consider transferring the Description from the Stone to the Golem as well.

e.g.
Amphibolite Golem wrote:This particular Golem is composed of Amphibolite - a hard flakey grey stone. The salt-and-pepper surface has been polished and carved in arcane geodetic patterns. The end result is is formidable - an eight foot tall behemoth nearly impervious to physical harm.
Novaculite Golem wrote:This particular Golem is composed of Novaculite - a lusterous pearly grey stone. While smoother than quartz, it is just as hard. The artist has not augmented this Golem with any other adornment, leaving nothing to distract from the natural beauty of the stone.
Quartzite Golem wrote:This particular Golem is composed of a dark grey Quartzite. Thin bands of white quartz give definition to the reconstituted dark sandstone. The artist has used this effect to give the appearance of unfathomable runes.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

Silvard
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Silvard » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Fionn wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:04 am
Thank you so much! Still testing (and I already own the stones) but I was able to reclaim my Golems *after server transfer*. As long as crashes are a thing, this is a huge boon :)

Questions - are they still bonded to their control stone if we've not yet reclaimed them now? are they bonded if we're on another server? Formerly (I think) they could be destroyed without affecting the bonded stone if the owner had logged out/in since they'd been summoned. OTOH, formerly they were statues until server rest so ... ?
I'm glad you like the changes :).

So alongside the documented changes there were a few usability fixes/changes as well, as you've noticed. Golems are still bound to their stones (and vice versa) in that only their specific stone can reclaim them after a crash/disconnect/log out (and vice versa), but until they are reclaimed they are statues that don't destroy their control stones upon death until they are reclaimed again. This, I believe, provides a good balance between liability and leniency when it comes to crashes and disconnects.
Fionn wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm
If you do touch the system again, please consider transferring the Description from the Stone to the Golem as well.
Already did so! It is now live on the server. Mind you it only kicks in if the stone's description has been changed from the default.

While there may be further updates as far as general utility goes, changes to their combat utility are more likely to come as part of a more comprehensive overhaul that takes at look at their place in the overall balance of things and the server's design goals, so that one may take a while. I think a Feedback thread might be a good idea, given that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing golem owners get creative with their constructs!

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Even this much so far is amazing, I know I gave mine silly names for now but i've already seen some amazing examples of creativity (Wynn, i'm looking at you ;) )
Being able to do the descriptions now too also opens that up so much more.

I really am looking forward to them being re-balanced, possibly even more types added? it's something i've wanted for a very long time, but being able to make an Iron golem be named and described as, for example, old and rusted or something simple like that creates a lot of avenues for fun RP.

My character for example was gifted a lot of golems from a departed friend so I can now customise those to reflect that they were once hers and having their character live on that way is just the best.

So once again, thank you for this update =D