Discussion: Too many discussions?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Discussion: Too many discussions?

Post by CragOrion » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:56 am

Tell me I'm not the only one who feels like there are too many discussions revolving around fixing things that aren't broken?

NOW DISCUSS!

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Cortex

Re: Discussion: Too many discussions?

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:00 am

this sure cant go wrong
:)

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:04 am

The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:24 am

In some respect, I do think there needs to be a new forum organization.

General Discussion is often comprised of things that are OOC, or fun, or whatever. But also Suggestion Threads.

I personally think we need to separate the two again.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:38 am

Easy fix: don't click the threads.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:07 am

Clearly the answer is more dead gnomes.
I can't be the only one that sees this with this transparency, or can I?
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:27 am

I think we'd see less suggestion discussion threads if we were able to post in the threads that already exist in the suggestion section to... you know... discuss them.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:10 am

Perhaps it's only me, but I think forum organisation, general conduct and troll handling are fields that really need to be improved.

-Slanty Shanty really contains anything. Questions, suggestion discussions, rants, while adequate subforums exist, or should exist.

-Discussions have become a thing. Suggestions should remain suggestions without being cluttered with comments and salt, but there was a 'suggestion discussion' subforum a while ago. I'm not sure why that's been removed.

-Fun comments are okay I guess, but threads get derailed so often you start to wonder if there ever were rails to begin with.

-Thread names are often really not as informative as they should be. E.g. "Quick question" without any further specifications is not the best name for a thread.

-Redundant posts and questions. Really, we're mostly nice and willing to help, but it can't be that difficult to use the search function or the wiki.

-People that don't read threads before posting. Okay, so... I get that sometimes people don't want to read all the posts, but sometimes making a qualified statement requires you to actually inform yourself.

-Troll handling. I don't know, perhaps repeated offenders could actually see consequences? It's like people can potentially do anything here, or go wild in the grey zone.
Last edited by Wordless Truth on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:12 am

Obviously there would be fewer Shanty suggestion threads if we allowed discussion in the suggestion box.

We don't want discussion there, though. It just clutters the suggestion box with opinions instead of suggestions.

Suggestions are fantastic and sometimes useful. Threads that are a collection of everyone's opinion on the topic three times over are less useful.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:25 pm

Lorkas wrote:Obviously there would be fewer Shanty suggestion threads if we allowed discussion in the suggestion box.

We don't want discussion there, though. It just clutters the suggestion box with opinions instead of suggestions.

Suggestions are fantastic and sometimes useful. Threads that are a collection of everyone's opinion on the topic three times over are less useful.
Got to agree with Lorkas here. Too many opinions and emotion based replies in suggestion/discussion threads, too much volume with too little substance. Of course, I still make them, there's still diamonds in the rough.
:)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Lorkas wrote:Obviously there would be fewer Shanty suggestion threads if we allowed discussion in the suggestion box.

So why can't we create a suggestions discussion subforum?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:04 pm

That might be worth a suggestion if you think that it would be better than the current state of affairs :P

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:57 pm

I do not mean to be a pessimist, but from my own (not very effective, I admit) experience in the past as a forum moderator, I would venture a guess and say that a suggestion discussion sub-forum would only give Lorkas and Tashalar more work to do and more things to supervise.

Do not get me wrong, I do recognize the merits of brain storming and several discussions have led to things being altered / implemented into the game. But while at first it might look like just a structural change, since instead of posting it on the slanty shanty, as we do now, we'd just have another place for these threads, my fear is that it'd be an opening of the flood gates, so to speak.

I think I am indeed being a pessimist, but oh well.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:26 pm

It seems to me like the flood gates are already opened. At least if we had the sub forum, it would be easier to find relevant threads for suggestions because they'd all be in one place.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:11 pm

CragOrion wrote:Tell me I'm not the only one who feels like there are too many discussions revolving around fixing things that aren't broken?
You're not the only one, Crag. But you just HAD to create this discussion, didn't you!
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Xantor_Stromgate
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Xantor_Stromgate » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 pm

*discusses discussion*
It's all peaches 'n' cake!

iria_huntress
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning.

Post by iria_huntress » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:03 pm

Some suggestion discussions are made to help people refine the suggestion they want to make, or seek out better solutions for the suggestion. And some of it involves mechanical questions. "How can this suggestion be applied?" "Would it even be possible to apply this suggestion?"

I do think it would be a good idea to make a new sub forum for suggestion discussion. Beyond that, nope! I think there are too few discussions, and too many suggestions with no real feasibility to them, or very little thought put into them.

That being said, I imagine it is hard for the code contributors and so on to actually dig through the massive pile of impossible or simply silly suggestions to find the few gems.

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:38 pm

Is it possible to allow the topic creators in the Suggestion area to moderate their own topics?
It would be great for them to condense the topic, maybe even clean up posts after reading them and refining/editing their main post.