Ships and Walking The Plank!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hunter548

Re: Ships and Walking The Plank!

Post by Hunter548 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:58 pm

For what it's worth, if you're fixing ship bugs: The Skiff for the Sea Leopard at Wharftown currently puts you inside the skiff placable, making it impossible to walk away. Furthermore, -makesafe puts you back inside the skiff.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:55 pm

The Naval Intelligence is a great idea, and I would love to see it expanded to give reports on who's been attacking merchants/pirates/navy/etc ships. This could go a long way to giving solid IC motivation to start hunting down player owned ships. Also, I think its completely plausible to say the ship getting stomped would be a drain on a settlement's lumber/cloth stockpiles.

There was one other point I wanted to touch on.

On sailor characters getting to use the ships to their fullest, I think something that could make alot of difference would be scaling enemies to some kind of average ship's characters' level. I see alot of low lvl characters wanting to get on the ships, and I hate turning them away, but I also feel I have to sometimes because low lvl characters will get massacred by spawns on pirate ships, islets, kohlingen, blackfin, etc.

If there could be some lowbie focused areas that they can use the ships to get to and fight the good(or bad) fight, I think it would go a long way to making ships more accessible for lower leveled naval characters, thus making it easier to hold their interest in the character concept

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:31 pm

Update
Might go live tonight or later currently this:

* Navy Intel can now display reports of Ships attacking Merchantile, Cordorian or Amnian (Apparently!) vessels.
* Fixed a bug with rentable ships!
* Big one: Changed the ships to update from one IG Hour to 1 RL Minute tick instead. That means from one IG Hour you get 6 updates rather than one to make things a bit more interesting out at sea. Voyages to destinations still takes time but might be a bit faster, this gives some more control over how to handle ship speed if needed.
Last edited by ActionReplay on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:44 pm

Are there any plans to add unique things like Navy Intel to other ships?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:23 pm

My idea for the naval intelligence was specific to Cordor, due to the existing special function of that ship.

It is possible to extend it, though I may save that for the settlement project, where I'm considering adding an NPC spymaster to each location. We'll see.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:43 am

ActionReplay wrote:* Navy Intel can now display reports of Ships attacking Merchantile, Cordorian or Amnish vessels.
Amnian.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:07 pm

Peppermint wrote:
ActionReplay wrote:* Navy Intel can now display reports of Ships attacking Merchantile, Cordorian or Amnish vessels.
Amnian.
Dev fight! Dev fight! Dev fight!

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 am

Wouldn't ADDING a few more ships be viable? Being in the middle of the Trackless Sea I always figured there would be numerous ships of varying size and function sailing,steaming or heck, even FLYING about ...

I can say I have held off making a naval-centered PC (on reg) because of the knowledge that getting a ship is damn near impossible.

Recite the Sins

Post by Recite the Sins » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:18 am

LeatherLeaf wrote:Wouldn't ADDING a few more ships be viable? Being in the middle of the Trackless Sea I always figured there would be numerous ships of varying size and function sailing,steaming or heck, even FLYING about ...

I can say I have held off making a naval-centered PC (on reg) because of the knowledge that getting a ship is damn near impossible.
Do you need to own the ship for your charactert o be valid? I'd say not. There's at least two ships that I know of personally that recruit for crew openly, and I'm sure the flagship and Timberfleet are similar. People just don't want to be part of a crew, they just want it for themselves.
Roland Asen wrote:I am clothed now, your Grace!

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:37 am

Recite the Sins wrote: People just don't want to be part of a crew, they just want it for themselves.
I really wish this wasn't true, but sadly I've seen it play out this way a great many times.

caldura firebourne

Post by caldura firebourne » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:15 am

Would it be out of the question to have a rentable ship like the penny rose put somewhere accessible to everyone rp-wise? Like the crows nest for example. As it stands if you play a UD race it's fairly difficult to gain access to a ship unless you are on good terms with the owner of the dreadnought, who is usually pretty defensive about who gets access "understandably so" as it also means giving access to a guildhouse and what is likely a sizable coal storage.
Plays as the monster in your closet

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:22 am

Irongron wrote:
Recite the Sins wrote: People just don't want to be part of a crew, they just want it for themselves.
I really wish this wasn't true, but sadly I've seen it play out this way a great many times.
I can see your point but as long as a person has access to a ship and STORAGE (quarter chest) to call their own, on said ship, I think that would satisfy many.

Is it possible to have a NPC owned ship that has quarters but is rentable? Yes you may get screwed occasionally as you can't access your quarter if your shipmate(s) already is out to sea but then again that could be remedied with a portal destination on the boat ...

What is the Dev/DM stance on why such a limited number of PC ships?

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:55 am

Ships are a huge amount of work to make, I spent months on the ones we currently have. I can't see myself adding more at any time soon.

Though some kind of Gnomish hot air balloon could be good...

LeatherLeaf

Post by LeatherLeaf » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:58 am

Irongron wrote:Ships are a huge amount of work to make, I spent months on the ones we currently have. I can't see myself adding more at any time soon.

Though some kind of Gnomish hot air balloon could be good...
Oh .... my .... goodness :D

btw thank you for adding them in the first place!! I remember when they were merely talked and dreamed about lol