Adopt A Harper: Smite the Infidel!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Norfildor

Re: Adopt A Harper: Smite the Infidel!

Post by Norfildor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:37 pm

gilescorey wrote:
Norfildor wrote:There are only a few things more satisfying than seeing an edgy paladin player critically failing in determining who is the villain and then sending salty tells to his buddies from the fugue plane :P
I imagine one of those things is almost instantly deleting anyone with an evil alignment.
Not really. :mrgreen:

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 pm

yellowcateyes wrote: If I was making a new Smitadin (which I probably won't do again, after playing one for a couple years), I'd probably do something like this. Feel free to critique.
Textbook Optimal Smitadin. “A” in Smitology.
One Two Three Five wrote:Honest question how are you gonna level this thing
You’d level without much trouble by adventuring in a party on expeditions into dungeons full of evil mobs. More often than not, your character will be the one to land the 300+ Single shot killing blow to the big bad boss starting from mid epic levels. Before epic levels, you’ll level just like any other vanilla Paladin. You’ll be able to level up very quickly by targeting undead dungeons.
gilescorey wrote:Great Smite 9: For when you want a marginal increase in how well you can 1-hit-kill people in exchange for the ability to do literally anything else.
In NWN, There is nothing like dropping an evil boss with a single 1100+ Damage scythe Critical strike. If you have something to prove against neutral or good allies, why would you even want to play a Paladin/CoT? As a smitadin, you play a supporting role until there’s an epic battle against evil, where your abilities become valuable to the party. The role play opportunity that comes in epic campaigns again evil is tremendous. Besides, with UMD or bard levels, you have access to magic via scrolls and wands for your desire to do “anything else.”

My take is this: If you’re gonna play a mage, do magic. Rogue? Sneak. Cleric? Heal. Fighter? Fight. There is something very enjoyable about supplementing your weakness with strength of your party. It’s where you get close to experiencing that PnP role playing magic. Paladin’s place is in fighting classic evil monsters. If you like that role, smitadin will be fun to play. If not, don’t bother. You won’t Superman-Solo-Blitz “Manor Of Mourn” or “Red Dragon Isle” without spending a ton of gold on supplies.
Last edited by Bashagain on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:02 pm

gilescorey wrote:I imagine one of those things is almost instantly deleting anyone with an evil alignment.
:D
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't underestimate how many PC CN bad guys and NPC non evil monsters are out there.

I love smite paladins, UMD not a must if you looking to focus a lot of being in a group. when I play a paladin it's usually a smiter.
Last edited by Sab1 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:50 pm

I meant that going GSmite 6 instead of 9 affords you the ability to not be utterly useless outside of those 3 smites; rmour skin, epic weapon focus and ESF discipline are way more useful than the sliver of damage you're going to get for a full investment of Gsmites, it's inarguable that 1100 damage crits aren't the funnest thing ever (go away Norfildor, you're objectively wrong about fun)

Norfildor

Post by Norfildor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:57 pm

I do have a GS6 smitadin in my vault, do you? :P

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:21 pm

he doesnt hate himself enough to level a smiter
:)

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:25 pm

If we could tone back the passive aggressive meme emojis, that'd be super.
TANSTAAFL