Most active factions.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Naiphe

Most active factions.

Post by Naiphe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:09 pm

So I'm just wondering, what are currently the most active factions on the server?

No need for spoilers, names, or numbers. This is just out of curiosity :) As I intend on making a new character in the near future and would like it to be tailor made to fit in as part of one of the big factions.

No idea what I'm going to go with so its a clean slate! Though, something not Myon or heartwood focused. Just looking for a large playerbase.

Recite the Sins

Re: Most active factions.

Post by Recite the Sins » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Wharftown/Sencliff/Sibayad.

Basically like four separate factions, all tenuously allied together. Plenty of room for different flavours.

Court intrigue, vikings, pirates, human supremacists, decadent desert islanders, guardsmen, nobility. Though, er, non-good is probably the order of the day...
Roland Asen wrote:I am clothed now, your Grace!

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:16 pm

Shirtless Dragonslayers.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:22 pm

The iron citadael, Bloodmaw pack, aundor, quite a few drow houses, that new Orc tribe I can't remember the name of, the theive's guild of cordor, the arcane tower.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Naiphe

Post by Naiphe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:21 pm

Recite the Sins wrote:Wharftown/Sencliff/Sibayad.
CragOneEye wrote:The iron citadael, Bloodmaw pack, aundor, quite a few drow houses, that new Orc tribe I can't remember the name of, the theive's guild of cordor, the arcane tower.
Hm can you explain these a bit please? I'm intrigued :) especially the 'iron citadel'? sounds interesting.

not sure what to expect overall from Wharftown. Aside from the Bane faction in which I had a character eager to be apart of before ...I got whispered that the leader was too busy to really play nwn and when he was online he didn't have time other than for the intrigues of the war :( not bitching here he was a very nice and pleasent person and I'm thankful for his honesty, but it doesn't bode well for much enjoyment.
RamblerTeo wrote:Shirtless Dragonslayers.
Is this really a thing?

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:27 pm

Everyone is free to join the Shirtless Dragonslayers. Make sure to wear no torso and get heavily wasted when slaying dragons. Wards and weapons are for snuggy bears, real men fight dragons without any armour, unarmed ( monks do not count ).

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:Everyone is free to join the Shirtless Dragonslayers. Make sure to wear no torso and get heavily wasted when slaying dragons. Wards and weapons are for snuggy bears, real men fight dragons without any armour, unarmed ( monks do not count ).
This reminds me so much of Siriril Holie and Ragnar the Dwarf.

The Knights of the Road and Myon are also very active.

-S

Played; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi, H'larr Twins, and others.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Naiphe wrote:
Recite the Sins wrote:Wharftown/Sencliff/Sibayad.
CragOneEye wrote:The iron citadael, Bloodmaw pack, aundor, quite a few drow houses, that new Orc tribe I can't remember the name of, the theive's guild of cordor, the arcane tower.
Hm can you explain these a bit please? I'm intrigued :) especially the 'iron citadel'? sounds interesting.

not sure what to expect overall from Wharftown. Aside from the Bane faction in which I had a character eager to be apart of before ...I got whispered that the leader was too busy to really play nwn and when he was online he didn't have time other than for the intrigues of the war :( not bitching here he was a very nice and pleasent person and I'm thankful for his honesty, but it doesn't bode well for much enjoyment.
RamblerTeo wrote:Shirtless Dragonslayers.
Is this really a thing?

The iron citadael is the Abyssal faction. Basically it's meant for those whom follow demon lords of the abyss, but as most of them aren't selectable deities in the deity matrix it's also often included other CE religions such as Talos, malar, and Cyric to name a few. It's also almost always included sharrans given they are the ones whom created the citadael and founded the faction in a sense.

The only current demonlords selectable are jubilex(ghuanadaur), lolth and yeegonhu and would need to spend a gift if not playing a drow for the former two and one for the latter.

What most players do to follow a Demonlord is they pick a deity that they think closely represents said Demonlord and just RP as following said Demonlord, then you have some that are polytheist. This happens a lot with abyssal pacted warlocks and blackgaurds, they chose a deity of their main choice then a Demonlord they are pacted to that they got their blackgaurd or warlock powers from.

Most surfacer abyssals tend to keep their faiths until they are epic or close to epic as it can be difficult to get to the abyss without aid.

If want more information on Demonlords of the Abyss click on the following link:Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss pdf

The other factions like the Bloodmaws that I mentioned are mostly in underdark, which is an entirely different roleplaying environment.

Bloodmaws are gnolls and slaves only.
Last edited by CragOneEye on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Naiphe wrote:...
What I can say about the Abyssal Citadel is that depending on who you're looking to work there for, your experience will be vastly different.
However, the groups there are for the most part either neutral or chaotic, so that's about the usual variable one can expect there.

You'll probably run into agents, merchants and mercenaries for the majority.
Your association to the Citadel will most likely be kept private.
But do be prepared to be busted; you should be capable of retaliation.

Beep boop.

Recite the Sins

Post by Recite the Sins » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Naiphe wrote:not sure what to expect overall from Wharftown. Aside from the Bane faction in which I had a character eager to be apart of before ...I got whispered that the leader was too busy to really play nwn and when he was online he didn't have time other than for the intrigues of the war :( not bitching here he was a very nice and pleasent person and I'm thankful for his honesty, but it doesn't bode well for much enjoyment.
hi yes this was me sorry

Well, it's also not, er, quite Banites any more, so there's that.

It's really up to you what you want to do, there's room for almost anything of an evil-tolerating bent in there, though with something of a lawful leaning. There's a faction of guards, there's vikings, there's town administrators, there's desert merchants and slavers, there's space for lots of stuff across a few subfactions.

But I'll not clog up this thread with just stuff I'm involved in.
Roland Asen wrote:I am clothed now, your Grace!

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:54 pm

I suggest you find out what you're interested in rather than going straight up for the most active faction. A faction being active won't mean much if you don't enjoy it's roleplay/context. And there are plenty of options for you out there.

WildOrchid

Post by WildOrchid » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:27 pm

The Arcane Tower and the Wardens.

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:30 pm

Didn't we just have this thread in a similar form?

Everyone get their advertisement banners back out!

In all seriousness though, play a character that appeals to you and then run into the factions as you play and let them recruit you. You can find a lock and key fit a lot easier that way!

It is safe to say, there is an active faction that would welcome almost Any character concept you feel like making.
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:07 pm

Often, a good way to find faction leaders of any kind is to walk around and a lot and ask people "I'm looking for work." Generally speaking, those who have any authority/influence/leadership, will give you work.

And so it begins.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:48 pm

Underdark is full of active factions.

Several drow houses.
The drow temple(taking lolthites, selvetarmites, lalaskran's and kiaransalites/kiarans)

Sharps has a couple factions active too, though playing an a-political drow character, I don't tend to pay too much attention to those.

Looks like someone's trying to rustle up some duergar.
goblins are still around.
Seems someone's recruiting infernalists.
gnolls are still around.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Durvayas wrote:Underdark is full of active factions.

Several drow houses.
The drow temple(taking lolthites, selvetarmites, lalaskran's and kiaransalites/kiarans)

Sharps has a couple factions active too, though playing an a-political drow character, I don't tend to pay too much attention to those.

Looks like someone's trying to rustle up some duergar.
goblins are still around.
Seems someone's recruiting infernalists.
gnolls are still around.
Infernalists more of the devil's table than sharpes currently.

Blood maw gnoll pack, shatter skull Orog tribe, and the goblin clan I can never spell o gobo goo or some such are all very active in the sharpes, plus a new house of kiransaleaa is part of the sharpes too.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:10 am

Oogooboogoo I believe is the goblin tribe. There is also a kobold one called the Wrymbloods, I belive.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:30 am

There is, albeit the kobold faction is currently 2~ members. Or Tonky alone mostly, as I am in a lizard-break.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:39 pm

Would be great, though I could see it also being problematic, would be to have a system in place such as "influence" which all factions generate/lose over time for doing/not doing tasks.

The first problem of course, is that different factions have different influences on each other. For instance, Wharftown might be more influential to say, Guldorand, yet have no influence on a place such as Cordor. Making a flat "influence" stat might not be entirely accurate.

Still, the whole point would be that somebody could type in -influence, and see a list of the top 10 (or whatever) influential factions. This could be taken into account into your RP in the same way that weather and thirst/hunger do. Mechanical benefit could be a possibility too, but it might also just be nice to be able to get a general read on who is rising and falling in power.

"Secret" factions could opt out of the system, but then would never be on the list. Or perhaps they're just listed as [anonymous] or something.

It's certainly not anything that's needed, and might have more downside that I'm not seeing, or also might be way too complicate to script. But hey, might be interesting.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:54 pm

The old forum has disappeared, but there was still that Bannermen thread that Seven made. I suggested a formula for working out influence. I think it was gold/members + misc factors = influence.

Though, let's be honest. It's best left to RP. Those who are skilled at marketing themselves and their members, stirring up interest and generating a buzz will get the results they want. Whether it's a two man faction or a twenty man faction.

That being said, the Light Keep faction is currently being rebuilt, but I've had a lot of RL stuff to deal with in the past week, including extra shifts at work and university deadlines, so my playtime has been drastically reduced. Not only that but we've got to bench the squires that no longer play. I'm hesitant to mention recruitment here because I'd rather that didn't make characters SPECIFICALLY to join the faction. Things tend to become very two dimensional when that happens often.

It's better to make a flexible character concept that discovers the world on his/her own.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:03 am

The Arcane Tower is humming along nicely - stop and take a look at the RP swirling around there.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Naiphe

Post by Naiphe » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:35 am

Mr_Rieper wrote:I'm hesitant to mention recruitment here because I'd rather that didn't make characters SPECIFICALLY to join the faction. Things tend to become very two dimensional when that happens often.

It's better to make a flexible character concept that discovers the world on his/her own.
Yeah, when I said tailor made I really meant "would fit", not specifically fanboi style for a particular faction :mrgreen:

I asked for the most active factions because then I could consider what I'm going to make in future, though it will be quite a while as I'm enthralled by my current character. I'd like a big faction because there will be lots of like minded individuals to interact with, which could be alot of fun.
Artos13 wrote:Would be great, though I could see it also being problematic, would be to have a system in place such as "influence" which all factions generate/lose over time for doing/not doing tasks.

The first problem of course, is that different factions have different influences on each other. For instance, Wharftown might be more influential to say, Guldorand, yet have no influence on a place such as Cordor. Making a flat "influence" stat might not be entirely accurate.

Still, the whole point would be that somebody could type in -influence, and see a list of the top 10 (or whatever) influential factions. This could be taken into account into your RP in the same way that weather and thirst/hunger do. Mechanical benefit could be a possibility too, but it might also just be nice to be able to get a general read on who is rising and falling in power.

"Secret" factions could opt out of the system, but then would never be on the list. Or perhaps they're just listed as [anonymous] or something.

It's certainly not anything that's needed, and might have more downside that I'm not seeing, or also might be way too complicate to script. But hey, might be interesting.
You could really simplify this and use the 'last player count' list somehow? It tracks the individual hours of players already, perhaps you could simply track the playing time of members of a faction and list that. The most active timewise will most certainly be the most influential. Might be a bit basic but it would work. Also have secret factions choose to be off the list.

BornToCrave

Post by BornToCrave » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:41 am

Coming back from a long break and I am really glad to hear Arelith is still active and the Gnolls are kickin'.
Is there anyone I coupd PM about for more info on the Bloodmaws?

Krivoklat

Post by Krivoklat » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm

There are only two Factions in the game... Elves, and those who wish they were elves.

'nuff said.

See you in Myon! *cheers*

Naiphe

Post by Naiphe » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:16 pm

CragOneEye wrote: The iron citadael is the Abyssal faction. Basically it's meant for those whom follow demon lords of the abyss, but as most of them aren't selectable deities in the deity matrix it's also often included other CE religions such as Talos, malar, and Cyric to name a few. It's also almost always included sharrans given they are the ones whom created the citadael and founded the faction in a sense.

The only current demonlords selectable are jubilex(ghuanadaur), lolth and yeegonhu and would need to spend a gift if not playing a drow for the former two and one for the latter.

What most players do to follow a Demonlord is they pick a deity that they think closely represents said Demonlord and just RP as following said Demonlord, then you have some that are polytheist. This happens a lot with abyssal pacted warlocks and blackgaurds, they chose a deity of their main choice then a Demonlord they are pacted to that they got their blackgaurd or warlock powers from.

Most surfacer abyssals tend to keep their faiths until they are epic or close to epic as it can be difficult to get to the abyss without aid.

If want more information on Demonlords of the Abyss click on the following link:Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss pdf

The other factions like the Bloodmaws that I mentioned are mostly in underdark, which is an entirely different roleplaying environment.

Bloodmaws are gnolls and slaves only.

Took a quick glance over that earlier, from what I skimmed it seems wonderful and something I'd never have considered on my own. Whenever I get the urge to make the new character I'll be sure to read through that in absolute depth. I've always loved demons in other games (diablo 2 and somewhat 3, I'm looking at you!) and have always wished I could play a game that went deeper into the mythology of demons. I honestly didn't realise that demons in d&d were that deep.

Looks incredible! This is probably what I'll go with truthfully, since it seems like such a new and interesting concept to myself. Something to really delve into.