Favorite Character and Why?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

taoofbalance

Favorite Character and Why?

Post by taoofbalance » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Hey Everyone, just a little topic on what your favorite character you ever played and was and why.

I always like hearing about the good times other players have and feel there is a common theme among favored characters.

Personally, my favorite character is the current one I am playing. Only at level 10 now I can say I have had a wide interaction with many characters, made some significant changes and have some character growth.

The reason I like it so much is because of the interaction he has with others. More often then not he finds some form of common ground with a lot of the characters and is able to make some memorable connection...which I right down because I as a player have a terrible memory!

So which character of your own have you liked the most, what made them memorable to you?
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

Rwby

Re: Favorite Character and Why?

Post by Rwby » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:07 pm

That I ever played?

Probably my wicked and cruel Aurilite, Ryver, who turned herself into a half undead corpse walker to better embrace the cold so she could endure the chill. She was deep and had an inventory full of personanised nonsense that just screamed about her personality.

Then she MoD'd to an Orc.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Ais.
Lizard.
Bard.
Copper disciple.
Paragon of Awesome.

There was something very rewarding in playing Ais.
He was the kind of character that you (didn't) want to see entering a room with a pie in hand.
That you would(n't) invite to your IC wedding.
That you knew that when he said he was going to nail all the furniture to the ceiling, he meant it.
That was so flexible that you could see literally in picnic RP or discussing how to handle a very delicate situation with the local leaders (and probably derail it with terrible jokes).

Ais was a one-lizard-circus with far too much tragedy to compensate with humor and a big sword.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Metzinsoft

Post by Metzinsoft » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:46 pm

((Writing this out was a little eye-opening, actually!))

Sorry, I'm going to write about ALL my characters here briefly, I hope you don't mind!

My first character, Antonea Sands, was definitely my favorite character until Sephie.
I was just ready to play Arelith again at this time...partly because 6 years have allowed me to become interested again, and because the server/Arelith module has evolved enough to make so much about it feel new. Both of these characters have been enjoyable because they came in with no attachments and were both open to many forms of interactions with other players and objectives. Also, each got involved with a career within Cordor fairly early on (Cordorian Guard/Nomad Barkeep).

A few characters I tried that fell through quickly (played less than 2 months' time each) include:

A bard/performer who was not combat-centric, which left her out of most parties and didn't give me that much to do without an interested audience or other bards to associate with.

An evil sorcerer (have you seen me try to play evil? It's embarrassing. Something that would take some work on my part to pull off, in order to break some inhibitions I have).

A wizard guy with a pixie familiar...I think trying to role-play him and his companion arguing with each other all the time got a little exhausting.

Two other concepts that fell through were characters that were meant to be siblings to other players' characters. I think I got too excited about playing with these other players that whenever they were not logged on, the session just became a disappointment.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:28 pm

Hm...I could go non-Arelith as that's where my favorite definitely was played, but why not touch on the two characters who Ive genuinely really loved playing on here.

Amendur Xilo/The Bear Druid: A Chaotic Neutral Druid of the Hunt who worshiped Malar in the most possibly ironic ways possible. His hunt? Werewolves and Malarites. He's openly a very silly and care-free druid who has only been seen serious two times. He genuinely could care less about joining a grove, all the politics and the wars, other elves, devils, demons, angels, or even who bullied your best-friend.

But he did care about balance. He was very balance focused in his pursuit of the hunt and would never over-hunt, though he'd get pretty aggressive when it came to Malarites and werewolves. He was also trying to literally make Malar angry by worshiping him and just being this care-free guy who hunted his own kin and made silly jokes all the time. Unbearable ones, really. He was always a character I had fun playing because he was able to make a lot of friendships and be funny, but always had a serious side to him that practically nobody even realized could possibly exist.

He's been shelved for a while now and I'm not sure I'll ever start playing him again. Maybe I'll remake him in a DnD campaign that's more werewolf focused because really, it's hard for him to progress as a character without a specific setting due to how set in stone he is. I rarely make characters with as large of backstories as him for that exact reason.

Onto the monk.

Alphellius/'Lucas': Now, in the past, Ive played an exceptional amount of evil characters. Most of which ended up becoming basically full-blown psychopaths, a lot of which were very manipulative and clever. They'd end up running out of emotional anchors and would just have no one to keep them under control. So they'd rise in power and become terrifying forces known not to be trifled with.

That's not this monk. He's Lawful Evil for a lack of moral and ethical boundries, but follows laws and actually has a functional set of emotions. He's so used to simply remaining composed and monotonous that he just comes across as this anti-social stoic. His only real skill in manipulation is omission of information and using his straight-faced nature to make his leaving out of certain facts 'super effective.'

Of course, when it comes to killing, he's not all that limited. But he has never sought to end a PCs life unless his hand was forced. He prefers to take a more peaceful approach to situations and is still keeping in mind his pursuit of self-enlightenment and perfecting himself in spite of all the chaotic and shady situations he's very involved in. It's the norm to him that his 'best-friend' is a sociopath and a warlock, his love is a totally unpredictable wild mage, his family is a bunch of thieves, and his pack is the gnolls. Oh, and he's a werewolf.

Regardless of this all, he'd probably describe himself as 'The odd-job's man of The Underworld' at this point. He always knows a guy. And if not, he might know a guy who knows a guy. I am completely planning on having him say that at some point.

plz no mehtuhgaym tho.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:40 pm

I think Medici had the most unused potential, and I often regret making him as silly as he was. He's my favourite because of how he "shook up" canon, and how he made me realize not to take stuff at face value. He's made me think Shar is way more badass than how She is portrayed (not the capital s).

Nelehein, however - Nelehein was the culmination of 6 or 7 characters victim of characteritis. And I still think Knights of the Road have the best foundation of any faction on the sever.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Ambigue

Post by Ambigue » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:00 pm

I've got two right now.

The first is Sky Laurentine, of course. She's an angry, unhappy mixture of hopeful idealism and deep cynicism that I find challenging to do justice to. She's a fussy mum-turned-peasant hero. A bright but pragmatic political thinker. She is eloquent in her own cuss-laced way. I don't expect her to have a long life, and especially not a happy one, but I do look forward to her adventures.

Spinner Silk-Kin is a lot more fun to play, but only in smaller doses. He's just this huge, awkward, smiling ball of spidery, predatory creepiness. He likes how you smell, lovely. He likes the juices and the moistures and the pungences. He likes the squealing things sobbing for mercy even as they are drained dry. But never anything intelligent! He is, after all, not a monster. He's barely dressed and gross and it's so much fun to see how other characters react to him. Contrary to popular belief, Spinner is NOT insane. He's quite sane. Which makes him worse, somehow.

WildOrchid

Post by WildOrchid » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Temperance Felblade. She was my second character on this server to make it past level 5.

She came to Arelith very young, the youngest child of Matthew Felblade and Heather Ashendale. Heather's player laid the ground work for Temperance - her age, hair color, birth order, and details about her family life to get me started. I've had other people tell me that they had a hard time sticking with characters like that, but for me and Temperance it worked out well.

The minute I logged in with her for the first time the other Felblade siblings picked her up and the relationship between all of us was completely natural even though I had never played with any of their players before. The other Felblades and the rest of the Banites at the time were wonderful to play with.

She was young, so I got to do a lot of silly childish things with her and have her grow into adulthood. Her youth and innocence was the catalyst for a lot of funny RP. She was a spoiled little smarty pants with a lot of expectations put on her by the other Banites because she was a Felblade. Sometimes she lived up to those expectations, and sometimes she failed.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:48 pm

I'm gonna mention three.

Trynn really was such a big deal for me. She started out as this kid angry at the world and turned into something completely unrecognizable, and had a wild trip along the way. Playing her has really helped me depen the level of my roleplay just for all of the layers she grew over time. From a bloodthirsty fighter, to a driven protector, to a leader, to a wife and mother. She was that character that just grabbed a hold of me and wouldn't let go, try as I did to escape her grasp. Sure I made some mistakes on her here and there, but she was a huge learning experience, and I don't think I'll ever have another character like her.

Diego is a close runner up just because he was such a damn baddass. Very few people ever met the real Diego, and when he got down to business and put his mind to something, its the kind of thing that made heads roll (literally). Some people were taken down and never even knew it was him that took them down. This was one case where Hoar and the Red Knight were a pretty damn deadly combination.
RIP Diego, he faked his death alot, but couldn't outsmart old age ;p

My third is my original. Maybe one or two of you out there ever met her. Tahiri Silverwood. My first character on this server, a druid, and so freaking adorable that I can't ever put her down for good. I keep hope alive that someday, I'll get back to her story and finish it off....someday...

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10 am

Two come to mind:

Prauun: My second character to make it past lvl 10 (the first also being a gnoll warlock, I just decided to rebuild). Insane, and loving it. To my knowledge, the only character to take a bath in the pond outside the spider's while being a Councillor of the sharps. Hobbies included sniffing people in the hub and trying to sell elf bodies to slaves. He's shelved, but only so that I can get him the two levels to epic roll him.
I loved him because I love gnolls. Rawr.

Dulcie Newdawn: ((And to those whom it may concern, I do hope to become active with her again. One day. Eventually. :l )). This character was based shamelessly on Rita Skitter, aka that green-clad reporter b**** from Harry Potter. My goal was to make an objective (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!) serverwide newspaper. There was a lot of work behind the scenes with Dulcie to make the Newdawn Chronicles a thing, but I don't regret any of it. Reporter RP has been a blast, though there's a lot of leg work.

It should also be noted that, despite Dulcie, I am a UDer through and through. If I had time to play, I'd be playing a gnoll ranger/SD, drunk kobold RDD, or gnoll wild mage/SD (not sure how the lore would work there, though). Or perhaps I'd go back to Dulcie; her RP still has plenty potential.
Last edited by Dalenger on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Rugnar

Post by Rugnar » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:19 am

WildOrchid wrote:Temperance Felblade. She was my second character on this server to make it past level 5.

She came to Arelith very young, the youngest child of Matthew Felblade and Heather Ashendale. Heather's player laid the ground work for Temperance - her age, hair color, birth order, and details about her family life to get me started. I've had other people tell me that they had a hard time sticking with characters like that, but for me and Temperance it worked out well.

The minute I logged in with her for the first time the other Felblade siblings picked her up and the relationship between all of us was completely natural even though I had never played with any of their players before. The other Felblades and the rest of the Banites at the time were wonderful to play with.

She was young, so I got to do a lot of silly childish things with her and have her grow into adulthood. Her youth and innocence was the catalyst for a lot of funny RP. She was a spoiled little smarty pants with a lot of expectations put on her by the other Banites because she was a Felblade. Sometimes she lived up to those expectations, and sometimes she failed.
Temperance = 10/10

Mine would probably have to be Azalea. Just the cold, carelessness of her sent shivers down my spine sometimes as I played her.
Current Main Character - Xuneyl Teken'tlar

Old mains - Mithpsira Phexori, Annabelle Ross, Ambroz Lyons, Azalea Lyons, and Elenia Davenport, The Crow

CoastalSurf

Post by CoastalSurf » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:21 am

My favorite characters to play are my current one and seraphina corriander. Sometimes there is just a little extra something.

Anenden was...man...all I gotta say is when the heartwood is hot, you gotta be zen ooc too to keep up that vibe.

Sofawiel. She was, something special too. It like tripled the number of players I adored.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:57 am

Master Chief and Carl Johnson.
:)

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:43 am

My two favs were Grix The Blue and Caster The Clown.

Grix was an outside of the box or special snowflake character concept so to speak. He was an ancient blue dragon, cursed to human shape with use of runic magic imposed on him by various mulhorandi priests. Anyways his entire concept was he tried learn the secrets of becoming shifter to learn the secret of cheating his curse by becoming a shapeless one. He also was the second character I ever made. I loved all the political intrigue grix tried to involve himself in as he constantly tried to find positions of power that matched his arrogance. The irony behind this is his curse was meant to teach him humility.

My other favourite is Caster The Clown, his concept is taken from many sources but basically same archetype. The Joker from both the 90's batman cartoon, and the dark knight movie, also from hobgoblin again from the 90's but 90's Spider-Man cartoon series and hints of deadpool, and the members of the joker gang from batman beyond. He was a cyricist bard, black gaurd, fighter. He always played the fool when in his clown costume. It was unfortunate I made him right before the disguise system came out so everyone knew his real identity. But what I love about him most was all the pranks he pulled on the server. Such as things as little as having pies thrown in people's faces to as big as becoming mayor of wharf town.
Last edited by CragOneEye on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:51 am

I got up to the most fun trouble with Kalli Kinien. As mayor of Bendir at a time when Banites were in charge of Wharftown, he did quite a lot of RP with them. It was a delicate balance convincing them that Kalli was trustworthy while also sneaking around to learn their secrets. I knew that Kalli was successful at this when a high-ranking Banite said Kalli was the only halfling he had ever found trustworthy... shortly after Kalli finally succeeded in getting a key to the main Banite office/quarter. :)

And there's also pickpocketing visitors to Bendir as punishment for minor crimes. I'm not sure that anyone who Kalli "sentenced" in this way ever realized that it happened, but it was nice to be able to give small stacks of potions or gold or whatever to halflings that had been insulted or wronged within Bendir.

Stath

Post by Stath » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:37 am

Cortex wrote:Master Chief and Carl Johnson.
#finishingthefight
ALL YOU HAD TO DO...WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN CJ
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:01 am

I actually realised that I have only a few characters I'd deem favorites. Not sure what to make of that.

I have two all time favourites: Kirraz (drow) and Gamling (druid). The thing they have in common (I think) is that I found/find them very well connected with the setting and environment and as a consequence their roles are easy to slip into for me. When I take Gamling for a spin these days I still intuitively know how he'll react in most situations.

They both had/have mechanical strengths and the right amount of flaws to not to be boooring. And they both had goals and reasons to interact with both new characters and high lvl mainstays.

I have had fun with other characters but not as consistently. That usually depends on how they managed to interact with ongoing plotlines and the active guilds/groups at the time. Some of my characters feel a bit too much like npcs at times in the sense that they need other characters get them going and when these characters are not around, my rp grows stale.

Runner up: Erny (horribly built rogue). He is very easy to play being talkative, easy-going and in that nice mid-high lvl spot where he can interact with most groups in meaningful ways.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:48 pm

I've enjoyed all of my characters but I think the character that surprised me most was Martin - a human slave in the underdark. I think, because I had no expectations, I was able to blend into the RP that surrounded him, and let him go in nearly any direction his owner/s took him. He ended up having so many irons in the fire, his fingers in so many pies that I could hardly keep up.

He also had an emotional vulnerability that was enjoyable to play, something I've not allowed myself to do with anyone else. There was something very special with the unrequited love relationships he tumbled into.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

slight_homicide

Post by slight_homicide » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:19 am

Maria Rosenleaf: my perfect little knight of the road and soldier of light keep who came to the island with her two sisters. originally I made her to be the grown-up of the trio and make sure nothing happened to them, this quickly spiralled out of control as maria quickly became engrossed with becoming a divine champion of torm in her quest to aid others. Along the way maria had to watch both of her sisters die at the hands of evil creatures. she lost close friends at the battle of cordor and was forcibly removed from the knights of the road when her methods became too drastic for Rhue. finally she settled down when her travelling companions got married and moved away and she herself married Althalos Aermane that hunky Kelemvorite. she lived happily with her husband and newborn son until light keep was attacked from within upon the opening of the demon gate, she assisted with the last defence when the soldiers delved into the catacombs, weakened and on the brink of death she found herself pulled into the gate and sealed within the abyss for decades. (I tried to bring her back but her remorse was physically too painful for me to watch as she learned that all her friends and family had died and her husband had left having thought his wife had died)
"Can we please have an event that doesn't start at 2 am?" -Every Australian...ever.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:09 am

Fraya Stensamler, the svirfneblin loremaster and regent of Blingstonhold.

No doubt in my mind. Because of her many contrasts. The perfect, sneaky plotter behind the curtains. Any time I planned to stop playing her, she got involved in yet another plot. And she discreetely met numerous wonderful chars all over the server, secretely. She's the one I played longest time, more than 2 years. The last plot she was involved into, planned by many svirfneblin for many years (cutting off Blingstonhold from the rest of the Underdark), brought her into a situation - if she succeeded with it - where I knew I couldn't keep playing her. Which gave her the most beautiful ending of a PC, I can imagine any player on this server can dream of.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:00 pm

Sara Lyonall. Not the deepest character I've ever made, but she's just so versatile to play. While Helene was very dependent on other characters being around, Sara is more of a classic adventurer, so she ends up interacting with just about anyone she meets on the road.

Plus monk rp is awesome.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain