Alignment Question

OOC General Discussion
Trishula

Alignment Question

Post by Trishula » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:37 am

Hey all

Was hoping to get a help with an alignment problem. My latest idea is a character that has done some evil things, very evil things. She is plagued by what she has done, maybe even resentful. Yet she continues to do these things, even though she knows it's wrong and she'll feel remorse later. I'm thinking it's a chaotic neutral sort of thing, but was wondering if that would be right?

I always have trouble with the alignments.
Cheers
Trishula
Sorri Sin'vah wrote: I love haste I fire like a machine gun of arcane archer glory!
Snow wrote: Who says sentient jellies can't be paladins?! Are you implying that jellies are all evil tossers?! You RACIST SCUM! Triggered!

msterswrdsmn

Re: Alignment Question

Post by msterswrdsmn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:40 am

Meh. Being evil doesn't mean you don't feel remorse, so....possibly more towards something like CE or NE, rather than netural. If they were actively doing things to try to repent/atone/ for what they were doing while still falling back into their old habits, neutral would probably be more applicable.

If you're aiming for neutral, try coming up with ways that counteract whatever evil act it is you're doing. What, as well as how you do this, also affects the chaotic/lawful end of things. Lawful=more consistant or following a set of rules, whereas chaotic=wildly inconsistant.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:43 am

It really depends on the intent.

Some LE characters are actually working for good things. Like law, order, justice... but their methods are draconic and brutal.

More info needed to pass judgement.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Trishula

Post by Trishula » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:45 am

I guess, it's less remorse and more of an emptiness. She is void of emotion when she does these things. She does them to try to feel something. So instead of being tormented by the fact she has no emotion, she's likely to go and murder someone, brutally, to try and feel anything. Lawful wise, she doesn't care about moral or code of conduct. So the more I think on it, after reading msterswrdsmn's reply, the more I"m leaning towards chaotic evil?

TLD; She's void of emotion, and does unspeakable things to try and feel something.
Sorri Sin'vah wrote: I love haste I fire like a machine gun of arcane archer glory!
Snow wrote: Who says sentient jellies can't be paladins?! Are you implying that jellies are all evil tossers?! You RACIST SCUM! Triggered!

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:48 am

A complete disregard for others, no internal code or purpose to follow, and wantonly inflicting suffering for personal gain sounds perfectly CE to me!

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:49 am

The last part sounds like the definition of chaotic evil. Or maybe neutral evil.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:49 am

Definitely evil to my mind. What flavor of evil depends on exactly What sort of baby-munching they do. Do they munch babies constantly and resent anyone who tells them they can't? Do they munch babies for the greater good? Do they flexibly munch babies?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Trishula

Post by Trishula » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:50 am

She does it because she can. She doesn't care if others try to stop her, as then they just become an obstacle to knock down

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:55 am

Definitely CE, then.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:59 am

Alignments don't have to be rigid. I've imagined my own characters existing on a spectrum, where "evil" may vary from selfish behavior to moral depravity, but absolute zero and selflessness are statistical outliers. Just whatever disposition your character demonstrates on a daily basis ought be their alignment.

METAL BAWKSES

Post by METAL BAWKSES » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:00 am

In the same vein of evil and alignment. I have a general idea of neutral evil but I'm curious if anyone has a good way of putting it into words, or how to put it in regards to the other two evils. I've always sort of been unsure of myself as I've played NE because I always feel like my character is beginning to stray too far to chaotic or lawful.
Active: Actually playing something again!
Hiatus:
Another wild mage
Inactive: Colette Fletcher
Colette Melchiott
Dhaun'stra
Sile
Fiore Vasari

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:03 am

I've always roleplayed Neutral Evil as a sort of "devil may care" attitude. They don't have a particular preference for law or lawlessness, as long as they get what they want. Just as good does not necessarily mean nice, evil also can be nice under certain circumstances (good friends and family). But for the most part, they'll look for ways to abuse strangers for their own benefit, with or without the support of the law. Whatever works, they'll do it.

Don't worry about neutral characters leaning towards lawful or chaotic, it's a natural thing to do. There's no perfect middle ground and personalities are unique, they'll always be at different parts of the alignment spectrum. Two neutral evils are not exactly alike. As long as your character doesn't start to place the law (or lack thereof) over her own needs, you're fine.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:23 am

METAL BAWKSES wrote:In the same vein of evil and alignment. I have a general idea of neutral evil but I'm curious if anyone has a good way of putting it into words, or how to put it in regards to the other two evils. I've always sort of been unsure of myself as I've played NE because I always feel like my character is beginning to stray too far to chaotic or lawful.
If lawful evil is evil with principle, structure, and a code of conduct, and chaotic evil is an evil that revels in the unfettered freedoms of an individual unbound by morals, customs, or even personal consistency, then neutral evil is the evil of self-advancement, using whatever methods are most effective to get ahead, with no concern for who gets hurt along the way. Neutral evil can frequently have moments when it looks lawful, and moments when it looks chaotic, but that is a side effect of having decided that, in a given moment, lawful or chaotic methods are more convenient, rather than any meaningful commitment to one alignment or the other.

@ OP: This character is certainly evil, most likely CE, though NE could be made to work too. There is no flavor of neutral on the good-evil spectrum that you should even consider making this character.
Last edited by Scurvy Cur on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:36 am

This is definitely Chaotic Evil - but with a dose of insanity. This character concept I would argue is something less-than-human and I'd place it in that category of "beyond evil." What kind of person kills to rid oneself of emptiness? Killing for joy and pleasure even seems more humane in that comparison.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Trishula

Post by Trishula » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:48 am

She is inhumane, yes. But I'm not roleplaying her as not being human phsyically, she just doesn't think like a human....in that sense she is inhumane, but she is still human, and she knows this. I.e. she has MoD so she will eventually die.

Psychotic was sort of what I was going for. I'm sick of playing goodie two shoes characters....heh.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:57 am

I'm going to break this down to a meta level a moment.
Simple question: In Game do you see your character doing mostly Goodly Acts? Mostly Evil Acts? Or Neither?

Keep in mind Alignment doesn't come up so much when our characters are navel gazing going, but with the actual actions we take In Game.

Now the remorse/regret might mean that their story takes them down another alignent path later - and that's awsome! But it occurs to me what the DM's/Players will mostly judge you on is your characters actions.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 pm

To latch on to Yma's comment, alignment isn't something that people just philosophize over in D&D, it's an actual tangible force. It doesn't matter if you had good intents while performing a horrible atrocity, it's still an evil act and you're going to become evil for doing it.

An excellent example would be the banite philosophy, they don't consider what they're doing to be evil, they seek to enforce law and order through any means necessary. To them, tyranny is the only option because the unwashed masses will without fail screw up on their own.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Durvayas wrote:It really depends on the intent.

Some LE characters are actually working for good things. Like law, order, justice... but their methods are draconic and brutal.

AND WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?!

Alignment is an inclination. By rule of thumb, doing evil only makes you evil -if- you have a choice.
And if you lack that choice... it's a matter of intention.
My view on it.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:48 pm

Durvayas wrote:It really depends on the intent.

Perfect archetypes of Lawful evil: Bane, Raz-a-ghul from Dark Night movie Trilogy, Magneto, Darth Vadar, Doctor Doom (from the comics not movies).

Perfect Archetypes of LN: The AI antagonist from the movie IRobot,The Punisher, Rorschach, The Borg (even though Startrek paints them as evil),.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Rorschach is definitely LE.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:56 pm

To my understanding, the Borg are as well. Infringing on personal freedoms for the sake of your own agenda is pretty much the definition of evil.

Yma has the right of it. I don't think it's helpful to get caught up in the intent vs. action debate. Boil it down to this: what role does your character play? Do they tend to do evil things? Then they're evil, regardless of their intentions. Vise versa for good.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Thirding? this.

One of the most standard archetypes of evil is the villain who ultimately believes he's doing the world a long-term favor, so killing a few people (or a few hundred thousand people) to get it done is a neccessary, if regrettable, down payment on a brighter future.

Actions should be the focus of your consideration.

Red Sunset

Post by Red Sunset » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Actions?

Both intent and actions go hand in hand.

Your character just killed someone. Why? Did your character just want something the victim had? Did your character do it to protect others? Did you character do it because your character wanted to be famous? All these are intentions and important.

A question. If you help or are kind to others because you want the same consideration in return, the old this for that, does this make you a good person? This is a rather self centered way of arriving at the opinion you are a good person.

When you start saying actions are good and evil you are in the territory of equating obeying the law with some sort of moral correctness. Not all actions are inherently good or evil, look at killing. Dare I bring up Robin Hood?

Alignment is not something easily answered in one paragraph responses that seem to conveniently and tidily sum it all up into something easily understood. Its not even answered in what I just wrote. Its not easily understood because understanding ourselves and others is not easy. We may have a conscience and feel bad about things we do but keep doing whats contrary to that feeling anyway. Why? ah well...intentions. Could be looking out for the self, could be your character is a spy (poor undercover spies...what a alignment discussions those would be heh). In short intentions are just as important as actions in knowing your character, and yourself.

Nathan Brack

Post by Nathan Brack » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:43 pm

unlike the real world, evil is a tangible and measurable thing in the DnD universe.

therefore, if your character does evil things, it's an evil character. if your character does evil things and good things, they're an evil character (evil weighs pretty heavily). if your character does mostly good things, but willingly and willfully murders... they're still an evil character. alignment isn't a judgement to follow, it's a culmination of what your character does or is at their very core.

guilt != good intentions. if your character stopped doing "evil things" for long enough, they could slide back up the the alignment tree towards good (starting with neutral). such a thing would require actively seeking redemption, however. and continuing to "mess up" wouldn't mean progress, it would mean trying... but still an evil alignment overall (protection from evil would still be effective against you, after all)

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Nathan Brack wrote:unlike the real world, evil is a tangible and measurable thing in the DnD universe.

therefore, if your character does evil things, it's an evil character. if your character does evil things and good things, they're an evil character (evil weighs pretty heavily). if your character does mostly good things, but willingly and willfully murders... they're still an evil character. alignment isn't a judgement to follow, it's a culmination of what your character does or is at their very core.

guilt != good intentions. if your character stopped doing "evil things" for long enough, they could slide back up the the alignment tree towards good (starting with neutral). such a thing would require actively seeking redemption, however. and continuing to "mess up" wouldn't mean progress, it would mean trying... but still an evil alignment overall (protection from evil would still be effective against you, after all)
+1 This

This is a world where spells have specific effects based on alignment and characters can be punished and rewarded by deities that represent these alignments. While I'm all for characters trying to justify their actions and believe they are doing good, as there is no real person that is simply 1 shade of gray, the gods will inevitably place them somewhere on that wheel of alignment and their souls will be tainted by their actions.

So you need to ask yourself, "Where does this character fit in the grand-scheme of the cosmos?" When he inevitably dies where will his soul go?
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.