Simplify Arelith

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Katze

Simplify Arelith

Post by Katze » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:44 am

I have noticed that we have all these wonderful widgets and stuff, but is it truly helping rp? I remember that with pit town, people worked with what little that was given to them to make some fantastic rp. Indeed it was small, but the rp was good. Now, however, everything seems to have lost that charm.

Do you agree or disagree and why? Please keep it constructive.
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

Wordless Truth

Re: Simplify Arelith

Post by Wordless Truth » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 am

I've never felt any mechanic of the game forces any kind of RP on me.

You're free to think up and play whatever you want. The mechanics only give you more options - and sometimes a mechanical representation of certain situations just adds to the immersion a lot.

I believe I use about 5% of all the wonderful things there are. But I'm happy they're there, because other people apparently can have fun with it.

The new Underdark has a few well thought out things going on. It's a setting, but your RP doesn't have to revolve around it.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:22 am

Which widgets and stuff you are referring to?
The population update is the main new feature. With the modified -track and added -balance.

The other are around class mechanics.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:37 am

EDITED to include: The following are factors that I think usually makes the people think something became worse than it was
Biggest settlements or the addition of several settlements while the population were not higher, will reduce slightly the RP chances because the spread of character players.

Old times always were better, because you was with more illusion and entusiasm and you had a lot of friends whoses characters are surelly all gone now.

The players population can been switched/altered, making the UD lose members?

Those are factors that could modify the RP amount...maybe.
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Not at all. If by "old times" you mean the past two years, god no. "Now" is objectively better. There are more players, there is incredibly active DM/DEV team...... seriously....... don't take this stuff for granted. I don't want to talk down at you about this, Katze, because neither do I know how long you've been playing nor am I the least bit qualified to talk about "old times", but the doldrums of late '12 are something I refuse to romanticize as time goes by.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

vaclavc

Post by vaclavc » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:17 pm

I personally think it is wonderful to have so many player choices. While I may not like some of the class changes introduced to the server and I may not be willing to try all the options available, I am happy they are present so that players may choose what suits them.
Also, the fact that Arelith has so active team of talented developers and DMs in kinda cool :P
-V-
Retired characters: Thazmudin; Cyrianthir; Zalastrien; Nebuzirah; Qaenuhir; Toruvilen Sivolun; Vaeluzir.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:40 pm

[EDITED] I removed this because I realiced being a dick, mistaking what marsi said to katze and thinking he told to me..lol... I blame my crappy English and you can blame me :lol:
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Personally adoring most of the changes too! Especially in the underdark. It's true some kinks still need to be worked out, but for the most part I think it is grand.
We have a fun and active DM team
An enthused Dev team
An imaginative and skilled player base.

It's one of the best times to be on arleith

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Katze wrote:I have noticed that we have all these wonderful widgets and stuff, but is it truly helping rp? I remember that with pit town, people worked with what little that was given to them to make some fantastic rp. Indeed it was small, but the rp was good. Now, however, everything seems to have lost that charm.
The beauty of these widgets and stuff is that you are completely free to use as many or as few of them as you choose. They're just there to enrich the environment.

I think that the wall you're hitting is a personal one. Life comes with highs and lows, and we all pine for the "good old days", whichever those may be. It's not uncommon for players to become disenchanted, when trying to start up RP in a new place or time, or with a new character. It takes effort to really get going.

I suspect that part of the charm you saw was in the discovery of new things, and now that you've been here for a short while, sights are familiar and no longer exciting, or maybe they've changed in a way that no longer suits your style of RP. Whatever the case, it's good to start fresh in a new place with a new character.

You can find that sense of community again, but since you're the one looking for it, you're the one who's going to have to bring people together.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Katze

Post by Katze » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 pm

now that i think about it, all the new things are overstimulating tbh. they are still nice though.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:13 am

I don't see the goodies improving RP so much as adding new flavors for a very old game we keep playing over and over and over.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Katze

Post by Katze » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:38 am

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:I don't see the goodies improving RP so much as adding new flavors for a very old game we keep playing over and over and over.
one day, though, we will run out of coins.

LegaciesNeverDie

Post by LegaciesNeverDie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:10 am

What?

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:16 am

Katze wrote:
Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:I don't see the goodies improving RP so much as adding new flavors for a very old game we keep playing over and over and over.
Are you stoned?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:16 am

I think Kobolds from Hell is high, dude.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:18 am

Katze wrote:
thats actually pretty deep,

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Maphias

Post by Maphias » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:20 am

Katze wrote:
How can we be sure the coins are actually there to begin with?

Mdiddy

Post by Mdiddy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:21 am

Katze wrote:
Skill dump into appraise.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:49 am

Maphias wrote:
Katze wrote:
How can we be sure the coins are actually there to begin with?
How Can Arelith Be Real If Our Coins Aren't Real

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:16 am

Am I the only one who understood what he meant or are we on a massive troll attack again?

Although well, that statement is somewhat contradictory to the original post.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:46 am

Katze wrote:now that i think about it, all the new things are overstimulating tbh. they are still nice though.
Question solved!

Maybe you need to take a break and have a breath before enjoy your gaming experience as you did in the past.

Did you played in the surface? Could be a shake and could give you a wider vision of Arelith after a long time in the UD... But if you already did and couldn't really make something new and breaking the schemes you was following before, then I would go for a temporary break to return with renewed energies!

Cheers mate

Thank you

Katze

Post by Katze » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:53 am

Katze wrote:
im instantly high for saying this? it was merely a pun off of arcade games.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:56 am

Was about to say that was a pun on the fact that we used coins to play arcade games over and over. Living in a new day and age Katze :P
Be Prepared

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:36 pm

I see my core mission as Chief Scripting Guy being to give players more tools. I'm not really in the business of creating RP, I'm in the business of giving you guys more tools for creating RP.

Sure, with my admin hat on I do a bunch of other stuff too, but much of our development is focused on giving you guys more ways of interacting with the world around you. And while I think we're further down that road than any PW (or other online game) has ever been before, there's still a hugely long way to go. If Arelith lives for another fifty years, it will still be a work in progress :)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:00 am

Is there a way we could get dicebags on arelith? On a lot of servers in the past, the majority of RP, especially conflict/pvp type RP was actually resolved through people rolling their skills and RPing rather than just PKing, and I'd really like to be able to take that route here. Perhaps dicebags already exist and I just don't have one or there's a mechanic I don't know about?
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).