Why no more 5% Illithid?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hour

Why no more 5% Illithid?

Post by Hour » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 am

Really though, I had some great Illithid 'friends' once who I did probably some of the best tension/fear/suspense RP I've ever managed, why were they removed from the 5% roll? The weird, pseudo-evil relationships characters have with them can make for really interesting RP.

What is the point in removing one of the best flavor races from ever being played again?

Lorkas

Re: Why no more 5% Illithid?

Post by Lorkas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 am

Illithid has never been one of the automated default options on Arelith for a major reward.

Rakshasa and Dragon were the first automated choices, and now there are planetouched races.

You sure you aren't thinking of another server?

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:51 pm

The above aside, the UD is the only place where a flayer would fit in, and the UD also went through a 70+ year war against a horde of mindflayers.

You would literally be PvPed endlessly anytime an old character appeared. It'd be the same as going to jerusalem and wearing an SS uniform.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:22 pm

I go out EVERY DAY to slaughter masses of derro, yet its from a derro that I buy my rations.
#udlogic
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

MowerQueen

Post by MowerQueen » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Man, that makes sense though. Have you read the description of the Derro merchant? It makes it very clear where they stand in UD society.
Besides, surfacers slaughter kobolds all the time, but many will turn around and do business with kobold PCs.

Plus, there's a couple more "Derro" who do business sometimes in the Hub. heh.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:46 pm

Dalenger wrote:I go out EVERY DAY to slaughter masses of derro, yet its from a derro that I buy my rations.
#udlogic
If it was put to a vote, 100% of us would vote to get rid of the hallucinating little bastard I'm sure.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:01 pm

That would not get my vote. Derro have or could have a place in UD society. THough noy necesarily an easy or attractive one.

Iceborn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Iceborn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Dalenger wrote:I go out EVERY DAY to slaughter masses of derro, yet its from a derro that I buy my rations.
#udlogic
If it was put to a vote, 100% of us would vote to get rid of the hallucinating little bastard I'm sure.
I lost count of how many times Kai has stabbed the Derro for giving him the "hallucination" dialog five times in a row...
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:14 pm

Durvayas wrote:The above aside, the UD is the only place where a flayer would fit in, and the UD also went through a 70+ year war against a horde of mindflayers.

You would literally be PvPed endlessly anytime an old character appeared. It'd be the same as going to jerusalem and wearing an SS uniform.
I respectfully disagree, I think that's just how you feel -your- characters would react, if that's how -all- of Aundor would react then there would be no mind flayer NPC on the dreadnaught or the outpost.

But I have voiced this opinion to you more than once.

Now I would say it would be foolish to create a mind flayer and not expect distrust, but everyone distrusts everyone in UD it's a dog-eat-dog world in Aundor.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Hour

Post by Hour » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:31 pm

I would have just really enjoyed Illithid RP once more, and the Illithid were generally whilst despising everyone and everything, are not such a destructive force-- the realms usually depicts them while actively working to destroy surfacers and a good deal of other underdark folk, as relatively benign to most, considering the only creed of theirs that advocates expansion isn't terribly respected in the mind flayer community.

It would just be cool to see them in the UD again, the RP I did do with squidfaces was probably some of the best.

And I'm not sure if I'm thinking of a different server, I'd just been told that it's impossible to make an Illithid anymore.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Like I said, it has never been a "normal" option. Maybe what they meant was that in the past, if you wanted to, you could ask for a custom race with a major reward, and they might say yes. Now you can't do that, but it isn't specifically illithid that you can't do that for: you just can't ask for a custom race any more at all.

Hour

Post by Hour » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:42 pm

That's probably me getting it confused with my dumb fish brain, I never actually have gotten a 5% nor really attempted it. Thanks for clearing it up, regardless my poor tentaclebaes are gone.

dirza

Post by dirza » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:23 am

From what i have seen over three years playing down there...

...i can assure you there would be minimum of distrust. Numerous humans, non humans, would tug with ilithid along, friendly, lots of drow as well. There would be a small group of drow whou would try to fight him. His non-drow friends would immedietly back him up leading to another hateful war IG.

Most characters would hang around and players would say hows that cool and stuff. And many (not all) would look upset at the bunch of crazy drow (and non drow and both few in number) who would stick to rp and try to eradicate that mindflayer, as at some gang of weird, unsocial freeks.

Down in Ud you can witness that weird, strange friendship and companionship among even the most opposite things around, and those who makes waves (in term that their characters go against it) usually face huge bloc of fans throwing sharp items their way :D

So i am not sure it would do any good.

Edit: And i dont see problem with Derro too. Whats the issue anyway? If bothered by dialogue, buy supplies in Inn...he is nice addition. Now, that idea how some -noble- drow or high ranked female buys food from Deroo made me laugh so much (yes i trade with him too but i play my character as dirtied lowborn soldier :D ).