Voting in Settlements

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

HurinWillSmite

Voting in Settlements

Post by HurinWillSmite » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:57 am

Without thinking too hard about the pros or cons of this suggestion I give you this:
A character is eligible to vote in the settlement they're a citizen of, when they have been a citizen for a certain time. Maybe a RL month?

Why did I suggest this when it's probably been suggested before? Well I thought of Scotland and Catalonia and figured... They probably wouldn't allow tories and (not catalonians) to temporarily move to their area to influence an upcoming vote that will decide the future for the citizens.

Faye

Re: Voting in Settlements

Post by Faye » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:21 am

Reasonable. It would put an end to the fabled gold-for-votes of old*.

*Probably not that old.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:39 am

AR 100 Alturiak
"I wish to join your settlement."
Become citizen.

An election happens before AR 101 Alturiak.
"I'm sorry, you have not been in our service long enough to vote."

An election after AR 101 Alturiak
"You have been in the service of the city long enough to vote, enjoy."
Vote

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Try putting a bit more thought in. Specifically on how this could be abused!
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

HurinWillSmite

Post by HurinWillSmite » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Ah! uhm.. settlement leader could kick everyone who opposes them close enough to election so they can't get in fast enough to vote. But.. it would still require RP before being kicked out so that's not really a way it could be exploited..?

I can see how it would mean settlements become less likely to change in leadership. The voting system would become more resistant to "saltwater-injection votes".

Guys, someone help me find flaws in this! I am feeling the beginning of cockiness and starting to see this suggestion as infallible. But Mithreas is hinting something is/could be wrong with it!

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:24 pm

It would encourage longer-term roleplay in the taking of settlements, sure. Rather than LET'S BRIBE ALL THE PEOPLE WHILE THE ELECTIONS ARE ON SO THEY CAN VOTE.
But (as a counter) giving a time limit before elections on a leader's exile powers would become problematic swiftly too.
Maybe counter it with no citizenship can be bought during elections, or an IC month beforehand? Rather than an RL month? That seems excessive.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:29 pm

HurinWillSmite wrote:Why did I suggest this when it's probably been suggested before? Well I thought of Scotland and Catalonia and figured... They probably wouldn't allow tories and (not catalonians) to temporarily move to their area to influence an upcoming vote that will decide the future for the citizens.
Actually, that happened. There have been instances of vote tourism, particularly from Catalonians who live and work here, and I kind of don't like that they were co-opting a Scottish decision for their own ends back home, but they have the right to vote on it. They do live here, after all.

But just to be totally contrary to my opinion prior, I love that Arelith elections are this madcap rush for vote-bribery. It's usually a good sign if someone will actually be active enough to warrant electing for the next RL month, if they're rushing about IC, persuading people to vote (or bribing) for them. If we had this change, most settlements would be a hell of a lot more stable - but look at Wharftown's Banite regime for literal RL years, Bendir and Myon, etc. Stability's achievable in the current system without modifying it.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 pm

I have to admit, I'm in agreement with Kuma. I kinda like the maddness about it, I like that a group, with enough effort, force of personality and gold -can- change everything in a blink of an eye.

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Mithreas wrote:Try putting a bit more thought in. Specifically on how this could be abused!
This.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Ehhh... my two cents: Vote bribery is fine. People swapping districts for an eyeblink's time to put their person on top with bought votes? Ehh...

... but trying to stop that this way is brutally ineffective and perhaps more exploitable. Especially when empty seats of a city's leadership are automatically filled with the last year's leaders if noone votes at all

... I'd say the timer's location is probably -better- used on a settlement's citizenship surrender, and that all settlements be brought to times of near proximity for voting. Timer for an IG month. Noone gets blocked out, and you can switch before elections, sure... but then one runs the actual risk of -missing- an election elsewhere, making one choose to either support the shady regime for the illustrious (gods, Peppermint has practically -bolted- that word into my head.) coin payment, or to support the election of leaders that actually matter.

That'll probably be enough to keep people from district-switching around the voting months of Andunor. Which always happens. Don't lie :P .... but, y'know, it's just -me- pitching this.
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 pm

If you cannot manage enough votes to defend your position, why should you keep it after all?

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:03 pm

Now i watch elections in Sharps running, and must laugh so hard. So many old characters being absent for weeks or months suddenly rushing in to vote, be it outcasts, lessers (just a short name to avoid naming you all!), number of citizens bumping up by almost 20 within ten hours...lol.

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 pm

When put together all pros and cons i think this current system has the least cons, why?

Because we are all here for story, even LOSING is great story if one knows to RPit its great, politic and ruling is just ONE OF NUMEROUS things to do in game,as IRL politic is not perfect thats how Arelith isnt as well...I think this is good because it doesent allow one faction to hold over their positions so easily but to constant RP in fear that there could be swarming grupation to gain their positions, so ppl make RP, shadow councils and so on, my toon who now partakes in Sharp elections work almost 2 IRL months for this and i can still lose what i consider fun also, through what mind my toon will pass, he will lose some friendships, gain new....

This system provides the most story althought its not perfect, i am glad that many log on these days just to vote, if only one player snoop around and found story and decide to stay and RP with us i will consider this a win, elections such as these PROVOKE RP!!. IMPORTANT IS, that proper RPer should always work equaly on win situation and to lose situation in mind and find path to enjoy the both, the best RPs i got when my toon "lost", one faction of 20 active guildies got from one huge lost that revive UD server back than! :)

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:07 pm

You worked so long on it cause though there is huge angry mob, they were divided and unable to rally on those they are angry at.

Your character is like a guy who in the middle of loosing battle jumps up, grabs the flag waving it "cowardS! On me!" and rallies them. We shall yet to see the outcome :D

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:40 pm

opposition creates rp, stagnation does not, above changes from Hurrin would make just that.....to return to this voting system i find it good because ppl starting to invest lots of efforts in it to win, Sharp had 40ish citizens few days ago now has over 80ish, people are putting everything in it, making deals they will need to accept after the elections and so on. Players who dont want to be part of it START TO BE, and get themseleves in situations their toons would never be, whats better than unexpected rp?

There is dirty campaing in each corner (kudos to those ppl), regrouping, backstabbing, double deals, i think that is called Underdark, if player gets that too personally than politics is not game for you, as i said its only few percent of all what Arelith offers.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:04 pm

I entirley agree with Magnar. Settlments where there is an enforced rp 'way' of voting quickly stagnate. Let's have dirty elections! Cheeky voting! People rushing in to vote at the last moment!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:09 pm

Some of the best settlement leaders have bought their way into office. If someone is willing to spend half a million gp to win an election, they're probably planning to actually do something with the power.

When I say "best", I mean best for RP, not necessarily the current interests of the settlement.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:03 pm

At the same time, some of the settlement counciling leaders that aren't so great end up getting in via gold and... well... going inactive for a few months.

... it's a two sided coin. Granted, anyone can be either side in the circumstances which are appropriate, I suppose
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 pm

And some settlement leaders about whom people bitch in tells they never play actually work in shadows all the time and are as active as work allows...

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:26 pm

if a tree falls in the forest and no one sees or hears it, has it actually fallen?

I would contend, indeed, that if the role of your character is to 'Work in the Shadows' a very open postion of Leadership may not be suitable.

Further more, If you find that you're in a postion where you can only log in once a week for two hours, then is it wise to go for a postion where you'll be needed a lot?

Real Life comes first, always. Unforseen tihngs happen. And sometimes people are on a fair amount, but at odd play times to everyone else. This must all be taken into account and is all right and fair.

But at the end of the day, a Settlment Leader postion is about being big, showy, and involves a lot of activity and work. More so than even owning a faction or guildhouse. If you can't put in a reasonable chunk of time (Even if its just one or two hours every three days, or working out with people when you're on, or such like that) then you should really think twice about keeping/going for that position.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:14 am

^ This.

... seriously, stagnant councils where one or two of the members shows up for anything but quarterlogs are a bad thing. Even if they can't manage it, the fact is they're simply not there enough to warrant holding the spot.

... not that I disdain people with schedules. That'd be dumb. Stath remains my favorite person to torment, and he can just -never- seem to be on where I can meet the guy reliably :P