XP penalty & costs

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dr_Hazard89

XP penalty & costs

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:37 am

This is not a complaint thread. I enjoyed the previous death penalty system, and for different reasons equally enjoy the current one.

I was just wondering how people feel about the new death penalty in relation to other xp costs in the game, such as enchanting, potion brewing and crafting wands. Currently I feel as if making a wand is many times more costly than dying, and failing an enchantment by comparison is the end of the world.

I just want to know how others feel specifically about XP penalties and costs. I'm sure every level range, play style and character build will have very different experiences and opinions to offer.
Last edited by Dr_Hazard89 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Flameborn

Re: XP penalty & costs

Post by Flameborn » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 am

Don't talk about wand xp costs until you try potion brewing xp costs. :(

And in my opinion, the new death costs are so trivial, I just laugh and log out for 2 hours until the penalties go away. Its like arcade arelith where death means nothing mechanically.
"Never underestimate the enmity of those for which outrage is a sport."

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:57 am

As far as i'm aware the XP cost on wands, potions and all that are already lowered a decent bit from Vanilla. I've no idea how much but as far as I'm aware it's considerable, so reducing it any more is asking quite a bit and raising it could be pretty bad too seeing as even though it's been lowered already it's still quite tasking.
As for Enchanting i'm a bit torn on it, my main character at the moment is an enchanter and I do feel that a considerable penalty for a failed enchant is nessecary to stop people from constantly rolling 5%'s in the hope of huge OP items, and having a magic God also helps soften the blow.
My only gripe with enchanting is the, frankly, minor benefit to the Focus' in Enchanting, it lowers the cost a bit, which isn't really all that relevant at higher levels when 5kish gold is very easy to get, which in turn increases the chances but only by a tiny bit. I'd much prefer if the benefits of spending 3 feats on getting better at enchanting were, well, more beneficial. A bit more of a lowered cost (but not much more), considerably improved enchant chance and even possibly a slightly lowered penalty to a failure, it's a fair assumption that a master enchanter would take less of a blow from a failed enchant being far more used to it and far more efficient at it.
Right now a master enchanter can get, maybe, an extra 1 or 2 skill bonuses, or a save or two, or maybe another 1 or 2 minor enchants on top of what someone with no focus in enchanting can get, surely that's a bit weird that a completely magically inept warrior can enchant an item to near enough (with a bit of luck) the level of a master enchanter.
So basically what i'm getting at is that enchanting for the masses should stay as is, it's fair and logical, but for someone that focuses in enchanting they should be far far better at it than they currently are, with lesser penalties and larger benefits.

(Sorry for going on a bit of an enchanting rant there even though this is an XP penalty post, it is slightly relevant though =p)

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:00 am

I still would love to see the Enchantment system expanded and revamped, and based on other (in)finite resources besides XP and gold.

It's forever the one thing about Arelith I really don't like it.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:03 am

Orian_666 wrote:(Sorry for going on a bit of an enchanting rant there even though this is an XP penalty post, it is slightly relevant though =p)
No, enchanting is included under the umbrella of XP costs and penalties. Thank you for the contribution.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:15 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:I still would love to see the Enchantment system expanded and revamped, and based on other (in)finite resources besides XP and gold.

Genius! Place objects of magical power that represents the enchantment you want into the pool and voilá. I love the idea.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 am

Ork wrote:
Seven Sons of Sin wrote:I still would love to see the Enchantment system expanded and revamped, and based on other (in)finite resources besides XP and gold.

Genius! Place objects of magical power that represents the enchantment you want into the pool and voilá. I love the idea.
+1 it also opens up a whole myraid of extra enchanting options that can only be done with the rarest of materials. Where as simpler enchants could be done with more mundane common items :)

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:39 am

Doesn't this have the potential to turn into another 'Artefect hunt'? Folk quickly going to the best enchanting materials all the time, whenever they are available?

I hate how powerful Artefacts are and how so few people on the server get to play with them, I wouldn't wantto see enchanting turn into the same.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:50 am

Not necessarily. If we tie the enchantment components to the crafting system, suddenly some of the underpowered and underused skills become relevant once again.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:59 am

Ork wrote:Not necessarily. If we tie the enchantment components to the crafting system, suddenly some of the underpowered and underused skills become relevant once again.
+1

Put a cream pie + helmet in enchantment basin to apply +5 perform and -2 discipline.

Love it.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:24 am

Shadowy Reality wrote:Doesn't this have the potential to turn into another 'Artefect hunt'? Folk quickly going to the best enchanting materials all the time, whenever they are available?

I hate how powerful Artefacts are and how so few people on the server get to play with them, I wouldn't wantto see enchanting turn into the same.
Are artefacts still a thing? I thought they were removed because reasons...

I feel the same way about artefacts. I have no way (or desire) to farm artefacts, and so across all my characters I have none. The ones I've seen were also too powerful for a "low-magic" world, more powerful than anything even the best enchanter could create in a basin on Arelith.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:30 am

They are, they just don't respawn on reset anymore, they respawn on a random timer now.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:35 am

Shadowy Reality wrote:They are, they just don't respawn on reset anymore, they respawn on a random timer now.
Thanks.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:00 am

I don't feel bad about taking someone's head anymore. I used to offer way too many courtesy raises and OOC raises since the XP hit for respawn was too much. I didn't want to penalize players for having characters that would instigate conflict RP.

Now heads can roll and everybody can be happy.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:24 am

yellowcateyes wrote:I don't feel bad about taking someone's head anymore. I used to offer way too many courtesy raises and OOC raises since the XP hit for respawn was too much. I didn't want to penalize players for having characters that would instigate conflict RP.

Now heads can roll and everybody can be happy.
That is good to hear. I know a certain Private Sanae who needs to lose a head after "Accidentally" stabbing a certain Private Dyson -twice- in battle. :P

But I have to agree that I do not feel bad anymore in regards to PvP. I know I should not have before, but "should not" and "did" are two different things. Now, glorious dismemberment, disfigurement, disembowelment, decapitation, emasculation, evisceration, and so on and so forth may commence all the more heartily!

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:38 am

I think that the system is actually really good. There's no reason for death to be strictly frightening because of the EXP penalty.

The EXP doesn't matter. Getting EXP is never a difficult thing if you set your mind to it.

However, this system FORCES your character to roleplay a sort of 'ressurection fatigue' rather than pop out of the grave and run back into the swamps to fight lizards.

It's excellent. I like it. If you're motivated to just log-off to wear away the ressurection fatigue rather than role-play it, that is your choice.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:08 am

Griefmaker wrote:"Accidentally"
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

starlight

Post by starlight » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:52 am

Griefmaker wrote: But I have to agree that I do not feel bad anymore in regards to PvP. I know I should not have before, but "should not" and "did" are two different things. Now, glorious dismemberment, disfigurement, disembowelment, decapitation, emasculation, evisceration, and so on and so forth may commence all the more heartily!
Sorry can't help derailing a bit here...
Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!
He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;
To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;
And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
And his pen--

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:39 pm

starlight wrote:
Griefmaker wrote: But I have to agree that I do not feel bad anymore in regards to PvP. I know I should not have before, but "should not" and "did" are two different things. Now, glorious dismemberment, disfigurement, disembowelment, decapitation, emasculation, evisceration, and so on and so forth may commence all the more heartily!

And his pen--
I believe that Laura is going to be contacted about the Guard hiring Dyson his own personal bard along with an accompanying instrument quartet. This would have been especially brilliant during the most recent adventure involving a certain dragon in Minmir which saw Dyson fleeing for his life mindlessly as all of the above were being done to him with great enthusiasm.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:13 pm

starlight wrote:

And his pen--
:lol: !!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:30 am

Flameborn wrote:Don't talk about wand xp costs until you try potion brewing xp costs. :(

Preach.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

dirza

Post by dirza » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:52 am

DirtyDeity wrote:
However, this system FORCES your character to roleplay a sort of 'ressurection fatigue' rather than pop out of the grave and run back into the swamps to fight lizards.

It's excellent. I like it. If you're motivated to just log-off to wear away the ressurection fatigue rather than role-play it, that is your choice.
Forces you do what...role play fatigue? Majority of people log for two hours and play on another character. It would force you to role play it out if that penalty wasnt wearing off in log out statue.