Re: Working on a player list.

Post by Lorkas » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:20 am

Yea, it is not private info.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:48 am

If it helps those with any level of paranoia, I'm constantly thinking on how to setup a system that wouldn't be an obstruction, but yet allowed people to hide sensitive information.

At the time, there aren't too many options for that.
It could be that once Arelith's Devs have more time, I could possibly collaborate with them to establish a link between the sites and/or a new part for the API to hook up users.

That's more or less the only realistic scenario I can think of coming from that.
That is, using your Arelith Account to restrict people from scrying certain information from you.
It would then offer the same amount of accessibility for everyone, and allowing people to hide content on demand without it being an obstruction.

Do note that while people might not be able to scry that information from you, it doesn't stop people from writing programs that use the API to specifically spy your account.
Nor would it hide the information from player lists.

Green2Bee

Post by Green2Bee » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:27 am

Even with the knowledge that API has always existed, there is a marked difference between having the ability to do something if you want to spend the time and energy to do it, and someone just handing you something that you only need to click for it to fire with 100% accuracy.

andthenthatwasthat

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:31 am

I may have some concerns about the info on the list, but I have to say great job. It looks great, it works, it gives helpful info. That shouldn't be lost in the hopefully constructive criticism about the list.

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:52 am

Is there any way to take deleted characters off the lists for accounts?
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:08 am

Dinosaur Space Program wrote:...
If not manually, I've added a "Ability to choose how old characters are displayed." goal on my to-do list for features.
This also has the issue of verifyable access. If I could send a ping towards Arelith's API, using a character name for example, to see if a certain account/character exists- then yes, it would be possible.
But as is, filtering is likely the only way to go with it. And Filtering doesn't necessarily hide only deleted characters shown in Scry, but rather only "older than" characters.

If I had cached each characters last seen date, the situation would be slightly different- you could then only filter out old, and likely deleted characters.

Beep boop.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:42 am

Alas, the trials and tribulations of TestCharacter PleaseIgnore will be recorded for all time.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:22 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:Alas, the trials and tribulations of TestCharacter PleaseIgnore will be recorded for all time.
+1
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

andthenthatwasthat

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:39 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:Alas, the trials and tribulations of TestCharacter PleaseIgnore will be recorded for all time.
Yes! :D You can see 5 or 6 names of character concepts I toyed with for my next main.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:06 am

This has had the most profound effect on me: I will NEVER accuse anyone of Alt-itis again, after looking up Shadowmonster. Ye GODS.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:08 am

triaddraykin wrote:This has had the most profound effect on me: I will NEVER accuse anyone of Alt-itis again, after looking up Shadowmonster. Ye GODS.

*click*
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Elena

Post by Elena » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:41 am

I suggest you add a feature, where each player can add the characters he/she wants displayed there. This would leave everyone the option which characters can be scried and which can't?
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:43 am

There is that feature, Elena. You do it by creating the character under a different playername.

There's a problem with trying to do it on Cihparg's end--he can't (easily) ensure that someone is only making changes to the settings fit their own characters.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:58 am

Lorkas wrote:There's a problem with trying to do it on Cihparg's end--he can't (easily) ensure that someone is only making changes to the settings fit their own characters.
Make settings controllable on a per-account basis. When users try to register an account, have them create a character with a set name (that's randomly generated on the website's end, maybe using the NWN name generator so the name doesn't look OOC). Once that character has reached five minutes played time (idling in entry area for five minutes) then the account is successfully registered.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:10 am

Scholar Midnight wrote:
Lorkas wrote:...
Sounds good in theory- but I can see several issues with that in practice.
More so that's the user experience of it.

But it's definitely worth something to trial. It might never reach a practical state, but listening to what sort of feedback that'd get could be useful until a better system can be put in place.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:54 am

Cihparg wrote:
Scholar Midnight wrote:
Lorkas wrote:...
Sounds good in theory- but I can see several issues with that in practice.
More so that's the user experience of it.

But it's definitely worth something to trial. It might never reach a practical state, but listening to what sort of feedback that'd get could be useful until a better system can be put in place.
This is how third party tools for e.g. League of Legends handle it. It definitely works. The only concern I'd have is that someone with a different CD key could create a character and might appear on the player list for a tick, but enforcing 5 minutes logged should prevent that.

Green2Bee

Post by Green2Bee » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Lorkas wrote:There is that feature, Elena. You do it by creating the character under a different playername.
I don't know why people keep saying this. That's something someone can do in THE FUTURE with this now being created. But that's not true for anything people created in the past, including deleted characters. You can't go back in time!

I hope Scholar Midnight's suggestion is an option!

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:20 pm

Green2Bee wrote:...
The suggestion's definitely an option.
It seems neutral enough a solution (past registration grievances) to actually be implemented.

But as I mentioned, I'll at least wait a couple days worth of feedback on it.
It won't take too long to program, albeit it does take some alteration to both backend and frontend.
Nothing too major, however.

DonaldTrumpsBoyfreind

Post by DonaldTrumpsBoyfreind » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Perhaps work in a system where there is a place you can if signed in [Vote] for a server reset (per server). That will reset upon the servers Reset.. Anyone can see the number and thus the DMs know if people want a reset sooner or later due to like broken chests ectra?

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Well, while that's more of a request for Arelith's devs themselves (which I am not), I might implement that soon as I can stop procrastinating and do the new version of the page already.
I've fairly simple goals for the new version when it comes to it's implementations, but alas, I'm lazy.

First thing to do is transferring the JSON database to SQL so that I can stop having certain issues with it.
Namely, that'll fix the data corruptions I've been having with the JSON hand-written database, and allows me to setup a more active & responsive backend to serve content faster to clients.
I'll most likely also setup a public SQL account so that anyone can see what's in there, and use that data for themselves in a project of their own.

The database format jump will also allow me to easier create an auth system for the page, so that users can hide/remove information that's redundant, or that they deem too sensitive to reveal in a cache.

I've some form of a system in the works for the current database, but I'm trying to decide what sort of implementation I'll do for it.
Previously it depended mostly on cookies and session tokens, but that didn't turn out well.
I'd imagine the final product of that will be a grey page with a white box in the center, with instructions, input field and radio toggles for what the client is wanting to do in that instance (Login, Register & Reset Password).

Beep boop.

DonaldTrumpsBoyfreind

Post by DonaldTrumpsBoyfreind » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:59 am

The Vote was more meant to be so that's visible how many would like a reset rather then so many voted thus it's time to reset.

Things like lag, broken features, and character errors are fixed by resets.

So having the count be on the page where it's showing when resets have or have not happened. Since starting a topic on the forums every time a storage breaks just isn't realistic.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Changing primary domain name to redirect to the VPS rather than the Hosting provided by OVH.
Changing link on the main post to redirect to the backup sub-domain.

If I'm unable to finish the Portal at cih.fi/apo by 6'th next month, I'll renew the hosting to extend it's life by a month.

So that people using the list don't panic, I should mention that I'm doing things with the DNS.
This means there's several pages and other such things occuring in there, that normally wouldn't.
For example, all pages currently redirect to the http://www.* root, displaying that it's "installed properly".
This ought to be resolved soon enough.
(A day or two is the limit hopefully. The backend is seemfully still going on, so the data wouldn't be desynchronized once I settle it)

** DNS seems to be up and ready to work now. Playerlist works again.
** It should be noted HTTPS is a bit jerky currently. So if you're getting "Your connection is not secure", drop the HTTPS and enter through HTTP.

** Messing more around with the DNS. Will update this post again once it's done.
** old.cih.fi now properly takes to the Hosting.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:09 am

So what's going on with this now? I miss this project, and none of the links I can figure out are working in Chrome or Firefox.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 pm

triaddraykin wrote:So what's going on with this now? I miss this project, and none of the links I can figure out are working in Chrome or Firefox.
I updated the main post some time ago to refer to the old (current) page.
The url is old.cih.fi/arelith rather than cih.fi/arelith currently.

Albeit I did notice not many have updated their bookmarks for that.
Suppose I'll test on firefox the page actually works despite the DNS changes.

As I mentioned on my last post, I'm working on a new, better version. When that comes out is a good question though, I doubt I'll be able to finish it before having to renew the old one.
So for now the only change is on the URL people can use.

Updated the main post to make it more clear the URL has been changed, and when the change occured.

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:13 am

Updated the page slightly. Nothing too drastic, but I figured I would make a post.

1. The CRON task was modified to /not/ cache players if a server is incapable of supporting them based on three states.
2. Sligh interface changes. The more noticeable change is the introduction of Font Awesome icons.
I figured I should put them to some use since the page already uses FA for the loading spinner.

3. Patreon. There's a link next to Chat -- namely the Dollar link that leads there.
That's all clearly and completely optional, I mainly setup it so people can throw dosh if they so please.
Adding a link on the main post as well, but hiding it from clear sight.
And as a clarification, I am still not a dev in Arelith. That could confuse people reading the new post without reading the main post.