Working on a player list.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

BegoneThoth

Re: Working on a player list.

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm not forcing anything on you. I want an opt out so I can opt out.

I'm asking OP to respect my privacy concerns and not cache data from people that want out.

Edit: I'll say again, for the third and last time, I'm not feeling any compulsion to share anything with you at all. Please respect my privacy and stop asking me to explain myself to you. I don't see a reason to, and I have a feeling if you keep asking you're going to get the topic locked, and the conversation will need to be moved elsewhere.
\

Yorick Shadowfeather

Post by Yorick Shadowfeather » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:48 pm

Then I wont ask, And simply state my own view, without explaining it.

There is no reason why someone should need to hide themselves from a harmless system.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm someone who is very concerned about privacy online.
As stated in my post, I've taken quite a few steps to prevent as much info of mine as possible from leaking out. I even regularly change my advertising ID on my android device.

The simple fact is, this website is not a privacy concern.

The info posted on the page, at absolute 100% most, reveals when you play Arelith, the timezone you live in, and possibly other accounts of yours(only if you use the same character name on separate accounts).

Of this info, ALL of this can be found out easily in game by just watching when a player is on.
Most players will even directly tell you their time-zone and active play times if you ask them and have a reason, such as being in the same faction, if you're asking a settlement/faction leader, etc.

The only thing happening here is that a website is watching what account and character is online, and when. Emphasis on the account, not the player.
If you have a problem with that, then your issue is with the API and the existence of the portal itself, not with Cihparg and this tool.

BegoneThoth wrote:And if they don't opt in, reduce the amount of info shown to that of the default Portal.
BegoneThoth wrote:I'm asking OP to respect my privacy concerns and not cache data from people that want out.
Asking for opt-out is perfectly reasonable, and is a request I can respect.
Asking for the removal of ALL info from EVERYONE who hasn't opted in, is quite a bit beyond that though, so you're not asking for just yourself to be removed.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:52 pm

That's why I just want an opt out.
\

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:28 pm

Apparently adding extra param to character history entries is functioning fine.
So now I can do what I thought of; show characters that have been seen within one month span by default (Only applies to characters that now log in).
It'll still show freshly deleted characters.

Beep boop.

Improv

Post by Improv » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:34 pm

Twily wrote:That's not a terrible idea as far as keeping the list up to date goes, although that would still make it difficult for people trying to locate and reconnect with an old player, which might need some deleted characters still visible on the list.
I know some people use it for that.
I don't want my new characters to be found by old players any more than I want randos from high school contacting me out of the blue. I want my current characters to form relationships with other current characters-- independent of how I feel about their players-- and leave the past in the past especially on an OOC player to player level.

I don't know why locating players you used to know is seen as such as good thing. If you really want to do it, it's not difficult by asking around a bit, but I'd rather that not be done about me. This also means grudges from the past can be dredged up again as well.

And in general I think there's a big clash of extrovert vs introvert going on here. I think extroverts (or even people in the middle) rarely understand- or try to understand- how introverts feel and why things like this can really bother them. But there have been some good reasons given for why it makes people uncomfortable, don't dismiss them out of hand because they don't bother you.
Last edited by Improv on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Improv wrote:
Twily wrote:That's not a terrible idea as far as keeping the list up to date goes, although that would still make it difficult for people trying to locate and reconnect with an old player, which might need some deleted characters still visible on the list.
I know some people use it for that.
I don't want my new characters to be found by old players any more than I want randos from high school contacting me out of the blue. I want my current characters to form relationships with other current characters-- independent of how I feel about their players-- and leave the past in the past especially on an OOC player to player level.

I don't know why locating players you used to know is seen as such as good thing. If you really want to do it, it's not difficult by asking around a bit, but I'd rather that not be done about me. This also means grudges from the past can be dredged up again as well.
This is true, and I agree with it.
Most players who don't want to be found just use new logins for their character though, because the player tool isn't the only way one could track someone down if they wanted. The player tool can't connect separate logins if the player hasn't created two characters with the same name on both accounts, even Cipharg doesn't have access to that much info. (he'd need your public CD key to get that, something only Arelith sees to my knowledge)

I can understand your point though, I know there's some players who I've had bad encounters with and that I use different accounts for pretty much every character as a result. I guess my main point is that if the player tool didn't show character lists on my account, I'd still have to do that anyways.

Still, I can understand how the tool could be used as one of the various options to track down someone you have a grudge with(but there's also many more out there).

Improv

Post by Improv » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Totally true! Using a different login every time is probably the best way to go unless you want to be totally transparent in what you do. (Which I don't, partly because I am overly paranoid and probably OCD, partly because I have had online game stalking issues in the past including from a DM at another server.)

But to bring up something from before-- the existence of this third party tool is something you have to find out about from reading specific forum discussions or being on Discord (which you also have to find out about from someone) or other word-of-mouth means. I played here for years in the late 00s, came back last year and played for another good six months before I even knew this third party tracker existed. I would have been more careful initially had I known, and would likely have been less put off by finding out about it! So maybe it should be mentioned in the new player instructions?

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:47 pm

You can now see player characters that have been played within a month's timespan (30 days to be specific).
May not be active characters though; could as well be new characters that never got past level 3, or characters that got rolled.

Beep boop.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 pm

Really useful addition. It's much better than knowing when they were created.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Cihparg
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Cihparg » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:31 am

With the release of the new portal ( See: portal.arelith.com ), I may or may not return my player list in the upcoming days.
For the time being, it will be redirecting to an invite to Arelith Discord v3.0.

Beep boop.

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:44 pm

Here's hoping you'll update yours, CIH! It really works the best. The new Arelith one looks good but is severely limited in other ways. Thanks in advance!

EternalSunrise

Post by EternalSunrise » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:04 am

Definitely missing this portal, it was amazing. :(
I mostly miss it because I could tag people as friends and have notifications when they came online. It was ridiculously useful for coordinating!

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 am

Missing the old portal's scry function a lot Cih. Its harder to remember character names from specific houses and who played them to reference them in storytelling. I miss the ability to just type in the name of a drow house and bam, have a list of every character that ever was a part of that house at my fingertips, with names recalling old memories.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

StoneBreaker

Post by StoneBreaker » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Definitely feeling the abcense of this awesome thing. Harder to know if people have abandoned the game. Makes managing factions and settlements slightly harder.