OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Hood Suggestion

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&p=36577#p36577

Similarly there's quite a number of people who super like it as it stands. Leave it or make it two options.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Cortex

Re: Re: Hood Suggestion

Post by Cortex » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:26 pm

I don't think it's possible but it's worth asking.

Is it possible to give a dwarf/halfling/half orc model a human head, for the purposes of a hood?
:)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:24 am

I think Halflings have their own hood models. Even if you could get them heads from another race by scripting (i wont say that it isn't possible but it is probably difficult), I don't think they'd resize to fit with the rest of the body exactly and would probably look funny.

Stath

Post by Stath » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:52 am

There's also a really cool human male hood model, with the mask. I think some of the Bandits on the way to the Arcane Tower use it.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

GreatGospel

Post by GreatGospel » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:00 am

Stath wrote:There's also a really cool human male hood model, with the mask. I think some of the Bandits on the way to the Arcane Tower use it.
I always wondered if it was possible for all the bandit/guard/citizen head models to be used. Would add a bit more variety -IF- possible.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Cortex wrote:I don't think it's possible but it's worth asking.

Is it possible to give a dwarf/halfling/half orc model a human head, for the purposes of a hood?
It's possible but not without hacs, which the server said from the beginning it would never require.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:49 pm

Not even if you Place a head changer in the starting area?

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Prob not. You could in theory make an 'Arelith Heads Override' pack, which would allow for new heads to be used by players without requiring a hak, but Arelith has a rule about using those because anyone without the override wouldn't see a head.

But I personally don't see why they just can't add a line to the F.A.Q. in the journal that says:
"Q: I just saw someone without a head! What gives?
A: Arelith uses an override head pack to expand the options players have in customizing their appearance. If you so choose, you can download it here: http://arelithnotsouglyheads.com.

Anyone who can use GOG to buy the game, and can be bothered to email them for an online CD-Key, can download one of these rather simply and with little fuss. Many players who've used NWN for a while already use overrides of one form or another. The fact that hak-heavy servers like Ravenloft still get players brand new to NWN proves that an extra download isn't a huge detriment, and in this theoretical case, it would be even less of one since it would not be required to enter the server.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 pm

yeah, I personally think it would make sense to add player model haks. One of the biggest reason I hear people say they don't want to play monster races is that there's no character customization. I think it would help the server a ton.

But it's been made very clear that the devs want to have nothing to do with haks, so it is how it it.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:28 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:Prob not. You could in theory make an 'Arelith Heads Override' pack, which would allow for new heads to be used by players without requiring a hak, but Arelith has a rule about using those because anyone without the override wouldn't see a head.

But I personally don't see why they just can't add a line to the F.A.Q. in the journal that says:
"Q: I just saw someone without a head! What gives?
A: Arelith uses an override head pack to expand the options players have in customizing their appearance. If you so choose, you can download it here: http://arelithnotsouglyheads.com.

Anyone who can use GOG to buy the game, and can be bothered to email them for an online CD-Key, can download one of these rather simply and with little fuss. Many players who've used NWN for a while already use overrides of one form or another. The fact that hak-heavy servers like Ravenloft still get players brand new to NWN proves that an extra download isn't a huge detriment, and in this theoretical case, it would be even less of one since it would not be required to enter the server.
Functionally, this would be absolutely no different than a hak beyond not crashing for not having it(it would just look awful without it). In practice, the only difference between installing a hak and an override is which folder you put it in.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:35 pm

The thing is we are using a stock nwn when it comes to graphics. It has always been a decision from the Devs to keep it that way.

Yes I'd love to have more outfit options for characters. But the no haks server as it is does has a advantage.
On had servers everytime there is a update in the haks you have to download the whole thing all over again. Nwn can become a rather heavy program with haks and overrides around 11GB.
But with what nwn has a lot can be possible as well. Just look at how advanced Arelith has become without a single hak.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:38 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:The thing is we are using a stock nwn when it comes to graphics. It has always been a decision from the Devs to keep it that way.

Yes I'd love to have more outfit options for characters. But the no haks server as it is does has a advantage.
On had servers everytime there is a update in the haks you have to download the whole thing all over again. Nwn can become a rather heavy program with haks and overrides around 11GB.
But with what nwn has a lot can be possible as well. Just look at how advanced Arelith has become without a single hak.
Dalenger wrote:yeah, I personally think it would make sense to add player model haks. One of the biggest reason I hear people say they don't want to play monster races is that there's no character customization. I think it would help the server a ton.

But it's been made very clear that the devs want to have nothing to do with haks, so it is how it it.
Am I missing something? Who is advocating that we use haks? I think you're both confusing haks with overrides, which are very different in that they would let arelith keep it's advantage of letting new players and since I don't feel like like repeating myself.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:48 pm

They aren't that different. Using one means new players can't play at all without downloading x y and z, using the other means new players still have to download something anyway, seeing as headless PCs or semi-visible monsters would be tantamount to a bug.

Irongron wrote:

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Kuma wrote:They aren't that different. Using one means new players can't play at all without downloading x y and z
This is a huge difference. You don't need the other one to play.
Kuma wrote:using the other means new players still have to download something anyway, seeing as headless PCs or semi-visible monsters would be tantamount to a bug.

Bugs break things, and it'd break immersion so yes, I guess it'd be tantamount to a bug.

If someone couldn't figure out how to download something and empty the contents into the override directory, literally typing one-two strings and clicking three - five times, but somehow managed to jump through the GoG hoops just fine... I'd rather lose that player (doubt that would happen) and gain some new heads.

I digress.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:10 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:If someone couldn't figure out how to download something and empty the contents into the override directory, literally typing one-two strings and clicking three - five times, but somehow managed to jump through the GoG hoops just fine... I'd rather lose that player (doubt that would happen) and gain some new heads.

I digress.
Given that's not compatible with the dev outlook, I think they'd rather keep that player.

I personally would actually like to see a slow migration to developing an Arelith-unique set of haks, overrides and so forth, particularly with regards to officiating certain classes, paths and PrC tweaks, and making .tlk changes to feats and spells so we can actually change more without having to remain fairly compliant with the base game. In that, I actually agree with you, but the devs don't.

Irongron wrote:

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:07 pm

+1

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire