Project: UD Love

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Cortex

Re: Project: UD Love

Post by Cortex » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:43 am

Reading UD threads is more entertaining than TV.
:)

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:20 pm

When Udos was destroyed, the Spiders Web was, magically, if strangely transported(nothing changing inside) to be within the new settlement of Pit Town. Strange, how did it get there? Did it fall straight down to land flat without any destruction caused to the building? - Whitewood

I think the reason they chose to keep it more or less the same, is to keep something familiar from the older server. I'm personally not sold on that to be honest, but changing it now might not be a good idea. A good IG explanation would be that through all the calamities the UD community suffered, particularly Drow, they managed to keep something familiar by rebuilding the Spider's Web not once, but twice.

Now, Coming back to see both Udos and Grond completely gone. Stepping foot inside the new settlement of Andunor(Seems to be another version of Pit Town). - Whitewood

Yes, Andunor is another version of Pit Town, in the sense that it's a Multi cultural Settlement, as apposed to Udos Droxune, which was a Mono Cultural Settlement (Like Myon or Brogendenstein). This is for practical reasons though.

If you want to discuss what needs to be added or changed to the UD, I don't know...there's plenty that has already been changed and added already. Maybe if you gave a specific example and asked others for their opinion of that suggestion? Again, as pointed out before, it might be better to post that in the suggestions box, but I won't blame you if you post it here.

Thats your anwser, and the wizard npcs explaination is just kinda a lamed out reponse to me
I havent really seen very many changes to the UD, except for small additonal paths and 1-2 dungeon areas. Whats the deal with the Underdark? Is it just completely unnessesary to make any changes or develop areas or land? Andunor is just another dumbed down version of Pit town in my eyes, another thing for the surfacers that come down here to laugh at us for. Not quite fair to the UD players who want something unique, the surface has probably got overhauled a few dozen times while i was away.
- Whitewood

Calling someone's head cannon (or cannon in this case) Lame...not cool dude. Also, I'm pretty sure when you said the people are missing the point of your OP...here you clearly are saying that "Nothing has been done to the UD" and everyone replied that work HAS been done to the Under Dark. Why are you so upset? You got an answer.

Also, to say that Undonor is just a "dumbed down version" of Pit Town...why would you say that? With aggressive opinions like these, can you honestly be surprised when you got everyone else upset? Be more diplomatic or be prepared to be treated the same you treat other's opinions. This is the internet and it's a nasty place if you say nasty things to people.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:22 pm

I sincerely doubt that anyone has any mind to dissolve the UD. With all the work that has been done, no one is going to suddenly flush it all on a whim.

Our Endless War

Post by Our Endless War » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:35 pm

Ork wrote:I've played primarily in the UD for a year or so now
Ork, I will find your amazing characters. They cannot escape forever like Malaufein did.
"what does it mean, t-pain"

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 pm

saw only a touch of the new UD since i havent played there in years, and i just have to say, anyone who is having issues needs lasik surgery.

Mad props and kudos to the devs, the little I saw in the last few days is awesome.!!!!!
Yes I can sign

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:15 pm

It would be undiplomatic of me to share my thoughts and feelings concerning this thread. So I'll go off on a slight tangent.

We have considered dissolving the UD, many times.

Each time, we have decided not to.

Why? Because the UD offers a truly unique and different environment from the surface, and it has bags of potential. Each time, we try and work out how to tap that potential. As a fan of political RP myself, I think I probably had the most fun of all my Arelith experiences playing a Drow mage in Old Udos.

As for why the Spider's Web has survived, well, as a developer working on Arelith, you are walking in the footsteps of very talented builders who have gone before you. It's deliberate that we try and leave tributes to older developers as part of the module. Even though each of us adds our own touches along the way (examples: the Spider's Web got its basement/bath area and Ssin D'Aerth when I built Pit Town, and more NPCs when irongron's team incorporated it into Andunor).
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.