Minecraft Help

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Minecraft Help

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Again, my techie knowledge shows its newb head and I come to the experts for help.

My 7 year old son wants to play Minecraft. I have a very basic laptop that I was going to let him use, at least until we can get him some sort of Pad. We downloaded some Demo version and he is having a heck of a time with it - very frustrating for him - and I don't know beans about the game so I can't help.

My question is two fold. Where should I download Minecraft from, so he can play and I don't have to pay monthly or an arm and a leg, and two, is there a Minecraft for little guys that can't play more advanced games.

In addition, since my little guy is becoming a gamer unto his own, are there other neat games that little guys can play that we can download onto a basic PC, while we wait for his Ipad?
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: Minecraft Help

Post by Dalenger » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:57 pm

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:Where should I download Minecraft from
Why not try the official site, figuring you're okay with paying for it. It's a one time deal, not monthy. If you've already bought the game and simply want to figure out where to download it from, the download is here (for computers).

If you're looking to get the game for free, I wouldn't know a safe site to point you too. If you REALLY don't want to pay for the game, I'd be willing to let you use my Minecraft account, I don't use it very often any more.... that is, figuring you're okay with your son having the screen name Lord_Fuzzy_Pants. :P
Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:We downloaded some Demo version
I've never figured out the demo, I don't think they ever actually finished it. Just buy the game, I'd say it's worth it.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Oh, no I plan to pay for the game, but when we downloaded the demo version from the official site, he couldn't understand anything that he was doing. He was rather upset because he says he played the game on a friend of his' phone, and he understood that, so I thought perhaps there was a simpler version of it for young children.

Paying for it is no problem. I just don't want to be a sucker and pay big bucks if there is a cheaper version of it at a legit site.

Oh, and I try my best to avoid any game that requires payment by month/point ... ect. I believe in paying for a game once and only once.

Skype Arelith.rat

CaptainFluke

Post by CaptainFluke » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:32 am

There is a pretty big difference between playing it on computer, and playing it on a phone/tablet.

The phone and tablet version is VERY simplified, to only a few limited actions/buttons and clicks. It had to be really, to work well and to people who've played on the PC version it can be a completely different animal. It's like, diet minecraft.

Thing is, once you overcome the interface (Keyboard and mouse is a lot trickier to master than touchscreen) it is the same bare bones of a game. Hit blocks, make things, hit better blocks, make better things, build stuff, break stuff etc etc etc.

As far as getting the game goes, it's a one time purchase from the official site. That's it, you have the game and account forever, no more payments. If you need anything else just ask, I've been involved with minecraft far too much over the past years! :)
Don't google it. Or me.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:52 am

also, the minecraft wiki is your friend

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:17 am

CaptainFluke wrote:As far as getting the game goes, it's a one time purchase from the official site. That's it, you have the game and account forever, no more payments.
Unless you're me. They managed to loose my account details and I don't have the proof of purchase with me anymore :(

ANYWAY, if you're son is only seven, then you might wish to consider putting the game on creative mode? I have two nieces who were about seven who wanted to watch me play "Spore", but when I encouraged them to play, they flipped out every time they got mildly attacked by anything.
Maybe it's just them I guess.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

CaptainFluke

Post by CaptainFluke » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:19 pm

CragOrion wrote:also, the minecraft wiki is your friend
Praise be to the wiki.

Arther Goodmane wrote:
Unless you're me. They managed to loose my account details and I don't have the proof of purchase with me anymore :(

ANYWAY, if you're son is only seven, then you might wish to consider putting the game on creative mode? I have two nieces who were about seven who wanted to watch me play "Spore", but when I encouraged them to play, they flipped out every time they got mildly attacked by anything.
Really? Ouch that sucks! But yeah, creative mode is definitely a good call. There are (generally) two basic modes in Minecraft, Survival and Creative.

Survival is the game, really. You can build and break, craft, things can kill you, you have hunger to worry about, a lot more stress.

Creative is JUST the fun, building bits of the game. It's lego, you can just zoom and fly around building things you want without having to worry about pesky things like death or hunger. Also it gives you every single block/item in your inventory to use whenever you please.
Don't google it. Or me.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:28 pm

CaptainFluke wrote:There is a pretty big difference between playing it on computer, and playing it on a phone/tablet.

(bunch of stuff)

As far as getting the game goes, it's a one time purchase from the official site. That's it, you have the game and account forever, no more payments. If you need anything else just ask, I've been involved with minecraft far too much over the past years! :)

:D My son and I thank you tons. He is still determined to learn the game, and is working on it on my old computer ... the little guy has determination, that's for sure ... and slowly, he is starting to die less often ... but we will still be purchasing it for his Ipad, once we get that.

Thank you so much!

Skype Arelith.rat

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:30 pm

Arther Goodmane wrote:
CaptainFluke wrote:As far as getting the game goes, it's a one time purchase from the official site. That's it, you have the game and account forever, no more payments.

Ahh ... that would have been the case for my daughter, who was very sensitive to having her brains eaten in video games, but my little guy just sits next to me while he plays and says ... "the zombies are trying to eat me again." and goes about his business, but thank you. :)

You all are awesome! I love my Arelith techie buds!

Skype Arelith.rat

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:01 am

The most important thing I learned when I started playing was that as soon as you can, build yourself a shelter with torches inside where you can wait out the night without worrying about zombies spawning, once you have that shelter, it becomes much easier.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:53 am

CragOrion wrote:The most important thing I learned when I started playing was that as soon as you can, build yourself a shelter with torches inside where you can wait out the night without worrying about zombies spawning, once you have that shelter, it becomes much easier.

I will let him know.

Skype Arelith.rat

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 am

Good to know, thank you. I will inform my son.

Skype Arelith.rat