Abnormal Program Termination, Runtime Error???

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

FoxyPigeon

Abnormal Program Termination, Runtime Error???

Post by FoxyPigeon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:49 pm

I'm playing on Windows 8 (compatibility mode and whatnot) and NWN has run fine for over a year aside from a random crash from time to time, etc. But for some reason yesterday out of nowhere, when I sometimes start up NWN it pops up with this C++ Runtime Error message saying "Abnormal Program Termination"?

I saw on the wiki that this can be a problem with having shiny water enabled (but I've always had that off), also bad overrides can cause this, but I don't think I put anything in that folder recently. The only thing I've done was try to add some portraits, which I made in a separate folder and then deleted completely cuz it didn't work, so I'm not sure why I'm still getting an error x.x What did I do!?

Masceo

Re: Abnormal Program Termination, Runtime Error???

Post by Masceo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:29 pm

I get this as well. For me it's periodic. I'll get the message for days and days and usually end up having to try and log in several times before it works. Then for whatever reason (I don't change anything) it'll load up fine for days.

It also seems related to my ability to tab out of the game and back in. When I have issues with the runtime error, I also crash when I tab out of the game. And when I can log in fine, I can tab in and out fine as well.
Namil: "He has this effect on young females."

Oliver: "He appreciates comedy." *He utters softly, in a near apologetic tone on Giogi's behalf.*

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 pm

I get that all the time. I just restart it.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Masceo

Post by Masceo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Restart the game?
I end up having to doing that anyway since the game shuts down completely when I tab back in. Makes copying and pasting descriptions a huge pain. ;)

As of yesterday, I can tab in and out of the game fine and don't seem to have any issues with starting up. Again, I didn't do anything differently. *shrugs* Oh well, just going to enjoy this magical time!
Namil: "He has this effect on young females."

Oliver: "He appreciates comedy." *He utters softly, in a near apologetic tone on Giogi's behalf.*

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:47 pm

I never tab because I never play fullscreen. It does it to me on startup.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

FoxyPigeon

Post by FoxyPigeon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:15 pm

I get it on startup sometimes and also when I tab out, but it still seems to work other than that. I'm just confused cuz this never happened until yesterday so idk what I did lol.

EDIT: Yesterday, I did a malware scan (didn't find anything harmful, just "potentially unwanted" files) But after the scan and removing them the error has stopped popping up completely, and I can tab in and out of the game again w/o it crashing. So idk what da heck... *shrug* lol.