Suggestion Discussion: 5% Roll

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Anime Sword Fighter

Suggestion Discussion: 5% Roll

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Inspired from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4283

What would you do to change the five percent roll to make it less tied in with heavy grinding, mechanical power, or whatever else you feel is wrong with it?

The idea of points stored up by RPR to 'cash in' for a special character or traits is neat, but then isolates players who have only a little time to play the game. But, could those players justify having a "special-snowflake" concept in the first place? I don't know.

I would implement the following:
16-20: 5% chance of minor award
21-25: 5% chance of normal award, 45% chance of minor award
26-30: 5% chance of major award, 45% chance of normal award, 50% chance of minor award.
Keep the levels spreads as are for these, but change what awards give.

Minor: -1 ECL to character
Normal: -2 ECL OR any of the standard Gifts without an ECL bonus, stacking with gifts taken already.
Major: -4 ECL OR two of the standard Gifts without an ECL bonus, stacking with gifts taken already.
You could not take two of the same Gift with a Major reward.

Example: With a Normal, you can take in character creation: Gift of Con (.5 ECL), Gift of Dex (1 ECL), Gift of Strength (1 ECL)- and then apply the reward, so you can take Gift of Con (0 ECL here) again. You'd have +4 Con, +2 Dex, and +2 Strength at just 2.5 ECL.
With Major, you could not take two extra Gift of Con gifts, but you could take Gift of Con and Gift of Strength.

RPR points are gained once every tick in game.
If you have 10 RPR, you get 1 point. 20 RPR gets 2 points, 30 RPR 3 points, and 40 RPR 4 points.

There is a menu in game you can open with a console command or with a DM's help that you can spend these points on either for a character already being played or special ones for a new character at some kind of shop. Special "prizes" for a new PC can only be used in the character creation entry.

An example of shop items: (warning my math might be off because I'm bad)
Dragon Race (or any custom race maybe?): 20,000 points (5000 ticks with 40RPR, or 30,000 minutes [500 hours in game]) to be used on new character
32 SR: 10,000 points (2500 ticks with 40RPR, or 15,000 minutes [250 hours in game]) to be used on new character (maybe at an increased cost, applied to current character?)
Horse Riding Ability: 8,000 points
Random Artifact (or spell-usage magic item maybe like from FL?): 8,000 points
ect.

I think this would be pretty neat honestly.
Though, there may then be a problem with characters with too many shop awards not wanting to retire. I understand that. Maybe give some kind of bigger ECL decrease with each award gained?

Cortex

Re: Suggestion Discussion: 5% Roll

Post by Cortex » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm

I'd change minor to be something else other than just -1 ECL, it feels like a kick in the Pufferfish.
:)

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:58 am

Noticed your comment in that suggestion thread
Maybe earning 5% rolls through RPR would be an option. I'm not sure how that meshes with the idea of opening up some stuff (like ridable horses or Planetouched PCs) for other forms of reward.

Worth consideration, but I'm not sure it's a complete answer yet (and forced MoD is never going to happen, for reasons outlined in the discussion thread).
This will/would heavily favor people who play Arelith like it's there job. Reasonable 'caps' for races set so casual players could attain them would result in Arelith-Jobbers (lack of better term) having 3 - 10x as many chances at those races. Setting a cap with based around full-time players, instead, will basically make it an unattainable goal for casual players.

I was also thinking about the idea of opening Planetouched up to Normal awards. At first, I thought it was a good one, and it made me a little giddy as I've had a Tiefling concept floating around for a while. But honestly, I can see the reason that Planetouched became restricted in the first place becoming a problem again if this method is taken. Level 26+'s would have very nearly a 50/50 shot of playing one, and there is very little else in that tier of rewards that could compete as an interesting option to take (Spell Resistance is it).

Shuffling about some of the awards, creating some new one's for normal (maybe custom items with a GP value cap) that would compete, and/or lowering the percentage chances for normal awards could combat that.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:46 am

I don't dislike the notion of dm's being given a limited number each of 5% rewards to give out (never more than one to the same player) at the start of each term.

But I'm not the sort of player that gets upset if someone gets something I don't, and I'm not going to complain about favoritism if I don't get something. I understand it is natural that the people who have more playtime and get more exposure to the dm's are more likely to be rewarded in this example, but that is the cost of what's being suggested one way or the other (as the people with the most exposure are the most likely to have higher RPR- not out of favoritism, but out of a larger sample time of quality RP).

On paper, I like my idea. In practice... good luck!
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:51 am

I only wish our reward system can revolve around things that enhance roleplay rather than power.

I don't know how to do it, but rubs me the wrong way the approach to the reward system is all about lowering ECL, to get more gifts, to be stronger, to level faster, to get more gifts.

I understand the approach and the motivation, and I can see how it might indirectly give positive impact to roleplay, but I still wish the connection is more direct and blatant.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:03 am

Instead of being RPR/score per tick unlimited. Make it so you get RPR/score up to a cap per day, so you can only get 100 or whatever per day.

@Seven: There really aren't "RP" alternatives other than a few cosmetic changes to the server, majority of which can be done IC already.
:)

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:20 am

Points could be used to buy RP items/changes. I don't know what these would be tbh that don't somehow give power in some way. One of the things I could think of is just a spell per day/use item on a book or something.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:46 am

Hmm... I'd like to express how I view the 5% roll.

I view it's intended purpose as a reward to those who has had significant positive impact on Arelith through roleplay.

In that sense, the assumption is that having a rpr > 0 and having spent a lot of time on Arelith, it would seem fair to assume a lot of good had come of it... rigth? Here there would be some sense in having the possibility of getting the reward depend on rpr and time.

The ones I missed in the suggestion are those who have great beneficial impact on Arelith, yet little time spent on the server - not sure how to catch those. Idea: you still need to amass points via rpr and time, but the "tick" is only a once-a-week thing and requires simply that you have logged in during that week (optionally having played for at least some minimum of time?).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok more views :).

It's a rare and special thing - this means it must either take a long time to achieve and/or not everyone can get it.

It's kind of a detail *ducks for cover*... the majority of ones fun really has little to do with it (probably!... we are all different of course). Sometimes it seems more a "problem of the mind" in that it doesn't really have much to do with your usual arelith experiences and only really bugs you when you are thinking about it... unless you crave it like gollum chasing his ring.. hehe.

My hope on tying the special char to rpr and time rather than killing monsters, was to allow people wanting it to not think too much about it (wich I would expect to be a problem if one wants it and feels grinding stands in the way)... something like "well if getting a special char depends on the general quality of my roleplay and not my thirst for blood... might as well focus on having a good time".

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:35 am

Minor awards should give access to something desirable. Right now there is very little incentive to roll before lvl 26 (short of realising that you will never get to 26). Access to crafting some unique fixtures or some such?

Another option is to somehow distinguish between minor/normal rewards recieved when rolling a lvl 16/21 and on 26 (where a reward is certain). Perhaps open planetouched for normal awards recieved when rolling a 21 char. If rolling a 26, only a major opens planetouched. I might be way off here but the idea is 5% rolls open some of the unique stuff and rolling a 21 char gives 5% chance of a normal ehile rolling a 26 gives 45%. If I wanted to play a planetouched I'd go for the 26 lvl sacrifice and not try my luck with a 21.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:48 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:I only wish our reward system can revolve around things that enhance roleplay rather than power.
What would you say would be something indicative of being mainly role-play oriented that still feels 'worth it' over just power? If it doesn't mechanically do something, it lacks legitimacy in module. That's just because we're restricted in being in a video game, IMO. And, if something didn't give a mechanical benefit, what would stop a player from obtaining it themselves in-game and hoping that others would comply with their role-play rather than relying on obtaining it in a reward?

Or maybe I just don't understand what you're getting at.