Clarlification on "Language"

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Seven Sons of Sin

Re: Clarlification on "Language"

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Is "Teen" really PG-13? You see, in my country, it's more equivalent to 14-A (the long forgotten movie rating).

NWN is unequivocally slanted towards the socio-cultural perspective of North America (particularly the USA) where language is interpreted more harshly than violence, on a broad scale.

Mithreas plea, I think, is not to stem creativity or meaningful vulgarity, but a call-to-arms to rise above
"No, why you attack me? This Paladins a total bitch"
To
"You've got to be ploughing joking. This paladin is walking away from this? This is bloody murder."
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:22 pm

CragOneEye wrote:It's not as grey as everyone thinks, Mith gave which parameters he's basing it off of, which is the ESRB's ratings, more specifically the TEEN rating and here they for everyone to see:

"Content is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling and/or infrequent use of strong language."

The link below has ESRB's other ratings to contrast the difference between the ratings so people know what is acceptable and not acceptable.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.jsp

And think you Mith that's all I really wanted was a clear answer, not a loophole or to be a rules lawyer.
I have played a number of (American) Teen-rated (and some E10+, that is, outright kids) games that include swearing. Sorry dude.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:06 pm

He's going by the description of the rating not what sometimes get "passed" as rated "Teen"
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 am

If we see someone using excessive swears whether it be a ton of minor ones or a few major ones; Should the players should report it to the DMs or should we let the DMs see and handle it entirely on their own?

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 am

I'd say if you feel it's breaching the rules, a report never hurts.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:16 am

Well, I would not report it every time someone uses a curse word. As long as I have been on the server, which is considerable, every now and then you will get a four letter word or a an innocent word in one part of the world that is offensive in another. I am not going to become the Morality Police on this and I would hope people would be sensible enough not to do so either. I mean really. I do not wish to offend our younger players, but Arelith isn't Sesame Street either yes?

If someone offends you with their language, try talking with them. If it becomes a consistent problem with the same person constantly using bad language, then by all means report that.

It's not that we cannot use such words once in a while. It's that we are not supposed to make a habit of it. I think that was the whole point of the OP to begin with. (BTW I do agree with Mith that the amount of bad language has increase a bit too much.)

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:08 am

Curse you! Curse you all and your thrice befuddled hogwash ye call "arguments"! I say, to the nine with it all, ye putrid yellow belly scoundrals!

Oh gee, sorry about that. Gosh, that got very heated there for a moment.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:20 pm

On this topic... where does bastard come in? Nobility and titles do matter to some characters and it is a legal status first, a slur second.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Durvayas wrote:On this topic... where does bastard come in? Nobility and titles do matter to some characters and it is a legal status first, a slur second.
I don't consider it that bad of a word. It really comes down to context...

However, if we're talking about the literal meaning of the word bastard (which either involves prostitution, rape, or casual "encounters") then we're venturing away from language and towards a whole nothing set of reasons why it shouldn't come up in a PG-13 environment.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:48 pm

After all these years, I think we should all know that asking 'is specific X' okay?' doesn't get an answer on these forums. Context is too important and too wide ranging. In some instances use of 'bastard' will add something, in other cases it'd just be unnecessary and gratuitous. Remember that the more you use a powerful word, the less impact it makes. Use light swears sparingly for maximum effect and minimum upset and steer clear of the F-bomb end of the scale. Simple, really.

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Dalenger wrote:
Durvayas wrote:On this topic... where does bastard come in? Nobility and titles do matter to some characters and it is a legal status first, a slur second.
I don't consider it that bad of a word. It really comes down to context...

However, if we're talking about the literal meaning of the word bastard (which either involves prostitution, rape, or casual "encounters") then we're venturing away from language and towards a whole nothing set of reasons why it shouldn't come up in a PG-13 environment.

A "bastard" is a child born of parents that aren't married to each other. Usually, it is used to refer to a child that is born when one of the parents was unfaithful to their spouse.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Plus Mith said anything that is NWN setting appropriate and seeing as "Ye bloody bastard" is one of the dwarven voice sets, I'm going with that using bastard is fine.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:19 pm

"Bastard Sword".

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:30 pm

The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill