OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cadarnfel
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Am I doing it wrong?

Post by Cadarnfel » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 am

So this is what I've done:

Re-rolled from scratch, paying a lot of attention to skills and feats suitable for a woodland ranger, but not focused so much on solo survivability, and found a new home and some friends in Bramble Forest.

Now to RP in earnest ...

thanks for all the help and suggestions
Irongron wrote:This is a fantasy world after all, and the risk of being eaten by an unexpected monster has to be part of that.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:53 am

Cadarnfel wrote:So this is what I've done:

Re-rolled from scratch, paying a lot of attention to skills and feats suitable for a woodland ranger, but not focused so much on solo survivability, and found a new home and some friends in Bramble Forest.

Now to RP in earnest ...

thanks for all the help and suggestions
Congratulations for your fresh and new family ^^
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 pm

Yeah, when you build your character poorly, you just do yourself a disservice.

- slower leveling
- less gold income
- less rare items/materials
- less to contribute to parties
- less avenues for RP
- closed off places to go to
- other people will use their mechanical power against you, directly and indirectly

Saying 'builds don't matter' is being a hypocrite and wrong. Like 95% of the good RPers are a thin line away from a full-blown powerbuild. I'm not saying thats bad, thats just the way it is.
So better map out your build some and look where you want to go with it. Everyone else is doing it too.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Razmo_de wrote:Yeah, when you build your character poorly, you just do yourself a disservice.

- slower leveling
- less gold income
- less avenues for RP
- other people will use their mechanical power against you, directly and indirectly

Saying 'builds don't matter' is being a hypocrite and wrong. Like 95% of the good RPers are a thin line away from a full-blown powerbuild. I'm not saying thats bad, thats just the way it is.
So better map out your build some and look where you want to go with it. Everyone else is doing it too.
I agree about that will affect his gaming experience...

But I disagree about Role Play. There are infinite ways and opportunities for RP for those who love to RP even never going to have adventures.

Agree or the whole other things.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:28 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:
Razmo_de wrote:Yeah, when you build your character poorly, you just do yourself a disservice.

- slower leveling
- less gold income
- less avenues for RP

But I disagree about Role Play. There are infinite ways and opportunities for RP for those who love to RP even never going to have adventures.

I think he was more of saying "All the 'good RPers' already boarderline powerbuild" rather than "You need to powerbuid to have good RP." I think the meaning is "Don't let people convince you builds don't matter because it's more than likely they are power building themselves"

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:23 pm

- slower leveling
- less gold income
- less avenues for RP

I'm glad someone said it.

Anyway, learning decent building habits will take you an afternoon. Most 'powerbuilds' respond to the same few foundations of what makes a good build, or are outright copied from predecessors. It's not hard.

I wouldn't even call it a thin line, Razmo. All the 40 RPRs I know also happen to be incredibly talented at crafting and executing builds. They worry about the big picture and stop sweating the small stuff.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:20 am

Marsi wrote:Anyway, learning decent building habits will take you an afternoon. Most 'powerbuilds' respond to the same few foundations of what makes a good build, or are outright copied from predecessors. It's not hard.
This.

I have posted it before, will post it again. This is the very basics of character building laid out really well. You have to make adjustments for Arelith, but this will put you on the road to stronger builds. Not necessarily 'POWAH BUILDZ', but good builds that follow a few simple rules to make them as strong as you want within your character concept.

http://nwnecbguild.forumer.com/topic/51 ... XzVIvlVhBc
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:40 am

Syrima wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:

- slower leveling
- less gold income
- less avenues for RP

I think he was more of saying "All the 'good RPers' already boarderline powerbuild" rather than "You need to powerbuid to have good RP." I think the meaning is "Don't let people convince you builds don't matter because it's more than likely they are power building themselves"
I would stick with the first half of this sentiment, and say instead that the strength of your build and the quality of your role-play have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

You could be a pvp-happy power-leveller that sucks at building, you could have the strongest build on the server and be such a great RP'er that people are still excited to RP with you even if there's a good chance you might curb stomp them.

If you are following the rules and role-playing your character well, don't ever let someone make you feel like you've done something wrong over your build.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:25 am

I think one thing that's kind of important is the ability to solo. Mainly because of things like:
If the groups you usually farm + RP with with falls behind, outlevels you, or never is on anymore.
If you join and the server is near empty.
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote: I would stick with the first half of this sentiment, and say instead that the strength of your build and the quality of your role-play have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
No one was implying that though.

The rest of your post kinda explains what I took from it more in detail. Especially the last sentance.

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Marsi wrote:I wouldn't even call it a thin line, Razmo. All the 40 RPRs I know also happen to be incredibly talented at crafting and executing builds. They worry about the big picture and stop sweating the small stuff.
Yep, they usually start off with a few themes to their characters (NE dwarven bard singing while swinging a battle-axe, with a greed for gems) and go to the limits within that framework.
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:I would stick with the first half of this sentiment, and say instead that the strength of your build and the quality of your role-play have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
Well, not the quality of your RP; the flavor though.
Sure, you can be the most interesting citizen who never goes to any adventure. And thats fine and all.
Want to be a villain? Yeah, you could endlessly scheme behind the curtains. But if you want to establish presence and infamy, you must be, you know, present.
Which means, ppl will try to kill you. If you mechanically can't handle that (means to survive, escape or win), your legitimacy is gone.
In any competitive situation, you'll lag behind.
You can do without mechanical power. But there is no reason (in itself) to do so.

goldengrae

Post by goldengrae » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:47 pm

As another newbie to the server, good stuff to read!

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:52 pm

so if i only get 20 per tick without any ecl means im not a good roleplayer?
Yes I can sign

Mayonnaise

Post by Mayonnaise » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Ebonstar wrote:so if i only get 20 per tick without any ecl means im not a good roleplayer?

Not at all. There's certain criteria to be met for each level, and it simply means you haven't met it, haven't been noticed meeting it, or that you don't meet it all the time.

Don't sweat it, friend, it's something that we all improve at, and each of us at different rates.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:48 am

Mayonnaise wrote:
Ebonstar wrote:so if i only get 20 per tick without any ecl means im not a good roleplayer?

Not at all. There's certain criteria to be met for each level, and it simply means you haven't met it, haven't been noticed meeting it , or that you don't meet it all the time.

Don't sweat it, friend, it's something that we all improve at, and each of us at different rates.
Regarding this, some suggestions/tips:

1. Be patience and enjoy Arelith without expecting other reward than the pleasure of the game itself and your own amusement.

May happen that none DM may witness your RP performances for a long time, the timing plays here sometimes. So don't feel in a rush. Eventually, by time, a RPR will happen at some point.

2. If you want to get a Role Play Rate (some time, may be sooner, and may be later), keep the following as a good idea to get it:

- Be always in character, never use OOC questions or text (keep the OOC for the private tells)

- Role play your character even if you were alone... Some emotes when you are alone, to keep IC won't hurt. That will increases your immersion and joy, but also help to keep a hidden DM looking at you to be amused and also enjoy the game (they deserve it)... and btw they will be totally happy finding your immersion degree.

- Make a background history or guidelines for your character, so you could have a clear image of him/her in your mind, to help you have a consistent RP in game.

- Make some description that may help others to see what could be seen in a fast looking to the character. Avoid walls of text that may discourage readers.

- Give to your character some mannerisms and features making him different from any other, to increase the feeling of an alive character and not just a clone.

- Keep avoiding metagame, react with your character as you may do in his situation (if you was him) and don't use info your character may not know, no matter if the player does.

- And most important: Be Nice: Respect the other players . You can RP an evil character without fall in OOC evilness. Respect the crew and you will deserve respect aswell.

Thank you