Builds: Pure Fighter

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Builds: Pure Fighter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:00 am

Hello. This is meant to help making a pure fighter for those who might lack building skills.

To the experts here: May you keep help/suggestions to improve this, and once polished, we could post it into the General Reference & Information section as a master plantiff to use as refeernce when any bad builder might want to make a pure fighter...
PURE FIGHTER LEVEL 30
Level Class Race Fighter(30), Human

1. Abilities:

STR: 16 (Final w/o gear: 20)
DEX: 12
CON: 16+2 gift (Final w/o gear: 21)
WIS: 8
INT: 14
CHA: 8

2. Levels progression:

0 30 Human: (Quick to Master)
1 F 01: Fighter(1): Strong Soul, Luck of Heroes, Power Attack
2 F 02: Fighter(2): Cleave
3 F 03: Fighter(3): Iron Will
4 F 04: Fighter(4): STR+1, Knockdown, (STR=17)
5 F 05: Fighter(5)
6 F 06: Fighter(6): Lightning Reflexes, Weapon Focus: Scimitar
7 F 07: Fighter(7)
8 F 08: Fighter(8): STR+1, Improved Critical: Scimitar, (STR=18)
9 F 09: Fighter(9): Great Fortitude
10 F 10: Fighter(10): Weapon Specialization: Scimitar
11 F 11: Fighter(11)
12 F 12: Fighter(12): CON+1, Blind Fight, Expertise, (CON=19)
13 F 13: Fighter(13)
14 F 14: Fighter(14): Disarm
15 F 15: Fighter(15): Toughness
16 F 16: Fighter(16): CON+1, Improved Knockdown, (CON=20)
17 F 17: Fighter(17)
18 F 18: Fighter(18): Called Shot, Improved Expertise
19 F 19: Fighter(19)
20 F 20: Fighter(20): CON+1, Improved Disarm, (CON=21)
21 F 21: Fighter(21): Epic Will
22 F 22: Fighter(22): Epic Damage Reduction I
23 F 23: Fighter(23)
24 F 24: Fighter(24): STR+1, Epic Reflexes, Epic Damage Reduction II, (STR=19)
25 F 25: Fighter(25)
26 F 26: Fighter(26): Epic Damage Reduction III
27 F 27: Fighter(27): Epic Fortitude
28 F 28: Fighter(28): STR+1, Epic Weapon Focus: Scimitar, (STR=20)
29 F 29: Fighter(29)
30 F 30: Fighter(30): Armor Skin, Epic Weapon Specialization: Scimitar

2.1. Feat Tweaks:

- Those feats in red are very important and should be taken.

- Those feats in blue, are optional and also could be acquired switching the order more easily and at your choice.

- Those in green are going to provide a DR 9/- which is good for a melee character. But you could chose to replace them by something diferent, like epic energy resistance (to resist up to 30 Fire damage, perhaps... Or 20 fire and 10 acid).

- You may replace at level 1 the feat Strong Soul by Dodge +1 dodge bonus to AC
against attacks from a character’s current target (or last attacker).

- You may replace the order taking Iron Will and Expertise, to get earlier expertise for more AC in the first levels.

3. Statistic:

Hitpoints: 480 (w/o gear)
Skillpoints: 165
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 30/18/19 (37/27/27)
Saving Throw bonuses: Death: +1 / +7 vs. Fort, Reflex / +8 Will
BAB: 25
AB (max, naked): 33 (melee), 26 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 16/27

4. Skills:

1. Discipline (34 ranks)
2. Tumble (15 ranks): +3 AC
3. Spellcraft (15 ranks): +3 savings throws against spells.
4. Heal (as high as posible): Healing bonus on bandages. Important for warriors.
5. Disarm traps (1 Rank): With secondary support gear will help you to disarm non epic traps.
6. Open locks (1 Rank): With secondary support gear will help you to open non epic chests.
7. Spot (X Ranks up to 15): To catch those casual sneakers with a very bad skill hiding... an mainly to break disguises from people who aren't tricksters.

5. Fighter Boost:
Remember, your weapons and armor pieces, will get an enhancement of +1 per 5 fighter levels.
This applies on the equiped gear, cannot be boosted and given with the bonus to a diferent character nor used in enchanting nor in ammonition bundles. (Perhaps, the ammo will get the bonus once equiped)
Note also that this won't apply on unarmed weapon (Gloves won't get this bonus feature, that will only work on equiped weapons (on weapons slots), on shield, on armor and on helmet.

Level ............ Weapon (hit/dmg bonus)... Armor + Helmet + Shield (AC Bonus)
1 to 4.............. 0 .............................. 0 ....... 0 ......... 0
5 to 9............. +1 ............................. +1 ...... +1 ....... +1 (as Steel quality)
10 to 14 ......... +2 ............................. +2 ...... +2 ....... +2 (As Mithril quality)
15 to 19 ......... +3 ............................. +3 ...... +3 ....... +3 (As Adamantine quality)
20 to 24 ......... +4 ............................. +4 ...... +4 ....... +4 (As some artifacts quality)
25 to 29.......... +5 ............................. +5 ...... +5........ +5 (Better than anything else)
30 ................ +6 ............................. +6 ...... +6 ........ +6 (Demigodling quality)

6. Gear suggested:
As pure, or high leveled fighter, you don't need weapons, armor, helmet or shield with enhancement (unless the said weapon was in a certain moment, better than the bonus you may give)

While you aer leveling up your character, and while your fighter bonus was not high enough, you might want to use in the meantime a greensteel weapon (+3 hit/keen) and also at some point, a masterly damask weaopn (+3hit/+6dmg), and give them permanent essence +4 (acid, fire...whatever), untill you may get your shiny well enchanted weapon.

Weapon: (not exotic). Best critical range: Scimitar or Rapier.
Bronce weapon enchanted with:
Keen + 1d4 positive dmg + 1d4 negative dmg + 1d4 sonic dmg (use temp essences of acid)...and if you may get more enchantments (hard odds), go for it!

The next:
Shield, Armor, Helmet, Cloack, Belt, braciers, rings and amuletwith:
+1 STR
+1 CON
+2 Spellcraft
+2 Discipline
+2 Heal

Boots with:
+1 AC
+1 STR
+1 CON

Potions you should keep in your inventory for your use:

Clearity
Haste
Barskin
Bull Strengh (STR)
Fortitude (CON)
Skleen STR / Skleen CON (only one at once can be in use)
Mage armor (potionable?)
Remove disease/curse

Bandages (loads!) here is where you will use your high heal skill score.

Guaji (For faster travell/retreats)
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:48 am, edited 12 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Urch

Re: Builds: Pure Fighter

Post by Urch » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:15 pm

Nice guide.

The majority of my alt characters are pure fighters, and on them I tend to take expertise at level 2. That extra +5 AC is really useful at low levels, especially with regards to using the -guard command on someone. It's great if you play more of a defensive warrior rather than an offensive one.
Dodge is also quite helpful. +1 dodge AC vs one opponent is underrated. It does however need 13 DEX, although it's more inclined for a defensive type, so losing 1 point in STR to make up for 13 DEX isn't really too much of a bother. Especially since you have points left over to spend in WIS to get rid of that negative wisdom modifier.
Just my thoughts.

I would like to see a dexterity based pure fighter guide as well, and maybe a zen archery pure fighter too.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Urch wrote:Nice guide.
Thank you
Urch wrote:I tend to take expertise at level 2. That extra +5 AC is really useful at low levels,
I though about that, but as a warrior can reach a very high AC at low levels:
Full plate + tower shield + boots easily enchanted with 1 AC for cheap= +13 AC...

I decided to go up to level 12 to pick then expertise... To allow this build to have more savings throws.

obviously, you can switch many of the feats to fit and match your personal preferences, as there is not a universal truth.
Urch wrote: Dodge is also quite helpful. +1 dodge AC vs one opponent is underrated.
I though about, but decided to tgive up, as I wanted a versatil fighter who may have all improved maneuvers (Disarm and id, expertise and ie, knockdown and ik...) and also al posible savings throws (+6 will, +6 fort, +6 reflex), and then, ofc the weapon features (critical, hit, dmg...)

Especially since you have points left over to spend in WIS to get rid of that negative wisdom modifier.
Just my thoughts.
I though about and just made a certain class of pure fighter... You may make slight changes to focuss on other feats and leave others I used here.
Urch wrote: I would like to see a dexterity based pure fighter guide as well, and maybe a zen archery pure fighter too.
yeah, I have in mind make more for ppl who had dificoulties to find a general path for their builds... First, starting for those I might be moer familiariced...then I may adventuer with the support of yours and others suggestions, with those classes I am not... Or anyother player may post them for those classes! Anytime...Free for all.

We might then make a single thread for Builds and place an Index with URRL linked.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:44 pm

The majority of my alt characters are pure fighters, and on them I tend to take expertise at level 2. That extra +5 AC is really useful at low levels, especially with regards to using the -guard command on someone. It's great if you play more of a defensive warrior rather than an offensive one.
Dodge is also quite helpful. +1 dodge AC vs one opponent is underrated. It does however need 13 DEX, although it's more inclined for a defensive type, so losing 1 point in STR to make up for 13 DEX isn't really too much of a bother. Especially since you have points left over to spend in WIS to get rid of that negative wisdom modifier.
Just my thoughts.

I would like to see a dexterity based pure fighter guide as well, and maybe a zen archery pure fighter too.

EDITED with:
Tweaks

You may replace at level 1 the feat Strong Soul by Dodge (for unseen in chart +1 AC)

You may replace the order taking Iron Will and Expertise, to get earlier expertise for moer AC in the first levels.

Thank you

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:06 pm

Why concentration? Theres only a handful of classes that get taunt, and most builds are too starved for skillpoints to be able to invest effectively in it.

You'd be a thousand times better off investing in something like cross-class spellcraft ranks, if we're not giving 2 flying craps about roleplay.

I wouldn't bother with spot; you've got...10 base spot? Less, actually, with that 8 WIS. Thats not even enough to find most lowbie stealth builds. Even with gear...you're throwing 18 points at something that isn't going to be able to beat anything past mid-levels. Again, you may want to allocate those skillpoints elsewhere (more spellcraft?)

Disarm with a scimitar? Its going to take a very long time before thats useable. If you're going to grab disarm to begin with, you're going to want the imp. version at the same time, as regular disarm triggers an attack of oppertunity every time you use it. Trying to disarm with anything that isn't a large weapon is going to give you a nice bundle of penalties, as well, unless you're trying to disarm something with a tiny weapon. Its main use being for pvp. There are uses for pve, but opening yourself for 4-5 free attacks against a mob every time you use it is a great way to end up dead.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:11 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:Why concentration? Theres only a handful of classes that get taunt, and most builds are too starved for skillpoints to be able to invest effectively in it.

You'd be a thousand times better off investing in something like cross-class spellcraft ranks, if we're not giving 2 flying craps about roleplay.
As this is a pure fighter, I don't remember if you might cross skill this one... Aren't needed spellcasting levels to get access to spellcraft?

Because if you can, I totally agree then about.

I believe you need at least 1 rank in a skill to be allowed to use the bonus skill granted by items.
msterswrdsmn wrote:
Disarm with a scimitar? Its going to take a very long time before thats useable. If you're going to grab disarm to begin with, you're going to want the imp. version at the same time, as regular disarm triggers an attack of oppertunity every time you use it. Trying to disarm with anything that isn't a large weapon is going to give you a nice bundle of penalties, as well, unless you're trying to disarm something with a tiny weapon. Its main use being for pvp. There are uses for pve, but opening yourself for 4-5 free attacks against a mob every time you use it is a great way to end up dead.
Level 20 F 20: Fighter(20): CON+1, Improved Disarm, (CON=21)

This one, ofc for PvP...

You will 100% times disarm a mage from his precious staff (than you can later sell in your shop...maybe to himself) :lol:

But yes... Disarm is a feat that could go into the tweaks section too...

What feats may you select then to replace disarm and improved disarm?
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:15 pm

Dodge is not +1 AC... it's situational, and only works on your current or last attacker (not both simultaneously).

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:16 pm

Yeah, the only skills you MUST have class levels in to obtain are perform, animal empathy, and use magic device. Everything else is fair game with cross-classing, as far as I can remember.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:18 pm

JediMindTrix wrote:Dodge is not +1 AC... it's situational, and only works on your current or last attacker (not both simultaneously).
Polished :)

- You may replace at level 1 the feat Strong Soul by Dodge +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks from a character’s current target (or last attacker).

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:20 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:Yeah, the only skills you MUST have class levels in to obtain are perform, animal empathy, and use magic device. Everything else is fair game with cross-classing, as far as I can remember.
Darn bro, you are quite right:
Spellcraft
The character can identify spells and perform counterspells.
• Ability: Intelligence
• Classes: All
Replacing that then, cause certainly spellcraft is a must.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:25 pm

msterswrdsmn wrote:Yeah, the only skills you MUST have class levels in to obtain are perform, animal empathy, and use magic device. Everything else is fair game with cross-classing, as far as I can remember.
Skills:

1. Discipline (34 ranks)
2. Tumble (15 ranks): +3 AC
3. Spellcraft (15 ranks): +3 savings throws against spells.
4. Heal (as high as posible): Healing bonus on bandages. Important for warriors.
5. Disarm traps (1 Rank): With secondary support gear will help you to disarm non epic traps.
6. Open locks (1 Rank): With secondary support gear will help you to open non epic chests.
7. Spot (X Ranks up to 15): To catch those casual sneakers with a very bad skill hiding... an mainly to break disguises from people who aren't tricksters.

May you add or modify anything?

EDIT: 8. Lore 1. So you may ID with the help of a couple rings of lore?

Thank you

Mulled

Post by Mulled » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:EDIT: 8. Lore 1. So you may ID with the help of a couple rings of lore?

Lore is not a skill whose use requires training.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Mulled wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:EDIT: 8. Lore 1. So you may ID with the help of a couple rings of lore?

Lore is not a skill whose use requires training.
Right, thanks

Thank you

Witchbane

Post by Witchbane » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 pm

If you're going to make every build on your list, maybe we can condense it to one forum thread, post them, then discuss?

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:58 am

Don't you mean mage armor (which gives +1 Armor, +1 dodge, +1 deflection, +1 natural) instead of shield?

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:50 am

I would never play a pure fighter, but if I did this is how I would do it.

Boring Chopper Lopper Mopper Shopper
Fighter(30), Human

STR: 18 (26) [Gifted]
DEX: 15
CON: 16 [Gifted]
WIS: 8
INT: 14
CHA: 8

Human: (Quick to Master)
01: Fighter(1): Strong Soul, Luck of Heroes, Ambidexterity
02: Fighter(2): Two-Weapon Fighting
03: Fighter(3): Toughness
04: Fighter(4): STR+1, Weapon Focus: Handaxe, (STR=19)
05: Fighter(5)
06: Fighter(6): Knockdown, Weapon Specialization: Handaxe
07: Fighter(7)
08: Fighter(8): STR+1, Improved Knockdown, (STR=20)
09: Fighter(9): Blind Fight
10: Fighter(10): Improved Critical: Handaxe
11: Fighter(11)
12: Fighter(12): STR+1, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, (STR=21)
13: Fighter(13)
14: Fighter(14): Expertise
15: Fighter(15): Great Fortitude
16: Fighter(16): STR+1, Improved Expertise, (STR=22)
17: Fighter(17)
18: Fighter(18): Iron Will, Disarm
19: Fighter(19)
20: Fighter(20): STR+1, Improved Disarm, (STR=23)
21: Fighter(21): Epic Skill Focus: Discipline
22: Fighter(22): Epic Weapon Focus: Handaxe
23: Fighter(23)
24: Fighter(24): STR+1, Epic Fortitude, Epic Weapon Specialization: Handaxe, (STR=24)
25: Fighter(25)
26: Fighter(26): Armor Skin
27: Fighter(27): Epic Reflexes
28: Fighter(28): STR+1, Epic Prowess, (STR=25)
29: Fighter(29)
30: Fighter(30): Great Strength I, Epic Toughness I, (STR=26)

Hitpoints: 440
Skillpoints: 165
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 28/14/20
Saving Throw bonuses: Spells: +3, Death: +1
BAB: 25
AB (max, naked): 37 (melee), 28 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 17/27
Spell Casting:
Alignment Changes: 0

Disable Trap 1(3), Discipline 33(51), Heal 25(24), Lore 9(11), Open Lock 1(3), Spellcraft 16(18), Taunt 16(15), Tumble 15(17)
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:45 am

Witchbane wrote:If you're going to make every build on your list, maybe we can condense it to one forum thread, post them, then discuss?
Yes.
Morderon wrote:Don't you mean mage armor (which gives +1 Armor, +1 dodge, +1 deflection, +1 natural) instead of shield?
Right, fixing the misspell (I play in Spanish version and sometimes I mistake the English name on things, plus my commonly poor English)

Thank you