OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Arelith Chronology FOIG or no FOIG?

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:47 am

As the subjet says...

I decided to start a historian character to start creating the following IG resources:

1. An Arelithian Encyclopaedia (Geographic, Politic and Historic)

2. The Arelith Book of Souls (a "Who is Who" book, where every relevant character may be found and his deeds known)

3. The Arelithian Chronology (as the one we made OOCly, but IG this time, rewritting it and cerating it with 100% IG RolePlayed resources)

4. IG/real Maps, Heraldic scrolls, etc... (starting with the one I started long time ago and I should complete some day soon, and continuying with many other eral works we could make as OOC/IC work -good to use in both meanings- and that may be included for the merchandise to support the server if the quality was good enough)

So, as I want to allow the history of Arelith to be alive, kept and "FOIGable", I ask...

Should the current resources made OOCly be removed (turning them only available for our Staff)

YES?

NO?

Up to you to start the discussion.

PD: Feel free to start another historian, there are slots for an army of historians to atemp this titanic work!. If a Guild was to be created, there won't be such relations of power, but a community of equals to work towards the keep of the knowledge for the best of the IG immersion of everyone and to create food for Loremasters
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Arther Goodmane

Re: Arelith Chronology FOIG or no FOIG?

Post by Arther Goodmane » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Well, 'titanic work' is certainly the right term to use here, goodness.

I personally adore the idea of creating a central super hub of knowledge (And I have for such a long time actually, but I'm lazy so...meh). I would say keep the OOC stuff the way it is actually, people like to show off their stuff to other people who may or may not actually play Arelith. There is, in my mind, a stigma against using OOC knowledge IC, but personally I think this is beside the point.

By going around and collecting lore, history, myths and academia in game, you will no doubt generate a TONNE of role play. I have seen quite a few factions and player characters who have gone to some extent to record history and knowledge and I bet you anything if you are willing to go to them and ask them about it, they would be ECSTATIC to share it. I know i would be.

Bottom line, use all your sources I suppose, there's nothing wrong with that and keep the OOC sources available for those who want to have a look at it. I think the act of gathering knowledge and putting it in one place is FAR more important than the end result of having a massive library of stuff anyway.

Edit: For anyone who wants to play a lore master, I would personally FOIG, but that is personal preference.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:42 pm

I think recent history (ie. post-Benwick) should be kept strictly IC. Give IG historians something to do.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:50 pm

Marsi wrote:I think recent history (ie. post-Benwick) should be kept strictly IC. Give IG historians something to do.
This is what we are already doing.

The OOC Arelith Chronology is cut at the Rift Crysis (86 to 89 AR), leaving all what happened after for IG historians...

Note aswell that the Chronology is meant to be not deep in detaills, so that area was also covered by historians.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:05 am

95% of the ideas stated should be conducted strictly in an IC manner. You should only ever go "OOC" with history when trying to arrange a timeline or straighten out dates.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:43 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:95% of the ideas stated should be conducted strictly in an IC manner. You should only ever go "OOC" with history when trying to arrange a timeline or straighten out dates.
The ideas stated are going to be IG...

What I ask about FOIG or not is the current OOC Chronology of Arelith already posted in this forum.

Anyway, as far as there seems to not be complains and the Staff didn't frowned in a noticeable way (and even some of them colaborated) I guess the current Chronology in the forum can stay as it is...

But I will work a new one IG based in the IC researchs, avoiding to freely pick data from the current OOC if I couldn't find IG a resource to justify it. Since I believe it is very important that someone could find out in game those things with a relative easy research through libraries.

EDIT: After all... the previous work with the forum Chronicle served me to get a wider vision of the Arelith History as in Geography with the map... So shall be easy RP an historian (keeping avoiding meta=easy when you keep using only resources coming IG)

Thank you

MowerQueen

Post by MowerQueen » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 pm

:/ I had the same idea. Maybe we read the same inspirational thread lol. I was going to do it 100% IC.

I made the character last night. During character creation I sort of strayed from the original concept, she's become more of a field anthropologist/archeologist, rather than an archivist. PM me if you feel like accidentally meeting IC and see if/where that goes.

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:35 pm

I'd be super interested in this as well. I have a character that could help with this. I wouldn't mind accidently meeting either. *cough*
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:17 pm

Arelith Geographic & Historian Society anyone?

:P

Thank you