Question for Linux Users: Tile Set Issues

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

WildOrchid

Question for Linux Users: Tile Set Issues

Post by WildOrchid » Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 am

We're using Linux Mint 17.1 and having a problem with one of the tile sets in game. They look completely white. Particularly the Arcane Tower area and the doors inside Mayfield's.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Lorkas

Re: Question for Linux Users: Tile Set Issues

Post by Lorkas » Sun May 24, 2015 6:20 am

That typically happens even for Windows users when texture files get corrupted. Try some texture overrides, or if you're using them already then try removing them or switching to new ones.

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Sun May 24, 2015 10:16 am

If you can't figure it out try using wine, which works fine for me.

furryn

Post by furryn » Sat May 30, 2015 11:21 am

What is your hardware?

I have a laptop on which i run Elementary Freya, it's based on ubuntu 14.04. (it has optimus setup, so i have bumblebee) But it will not run nwn. i just get: Segmentation fault(core dumped)

I has run before. but neither running it regularly (./nwn) or with primus will let it run.
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

Syrima

Post by Syrima » Sat May 30, 2015 11:47 am

^
If you're using wine you have to run NWN in a virtual window or it will crash.

WAAAAAAAAIiiiiiiiittttt.

I had to run the command "winetricks ddr=gdi" to get it to work, but I also remember at a time I had to run it in a virtual window. If you're using wine try both of these (but learn how to undo winetricks ddr=gdi first, because it can cause other wine apps to bug)

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Sat May 30, 2015 2:32 pm

i had a hard time getting nwn to run right when i was trying linux. even after i got it to run on wine, i got silly glitches like the visual thing and it was so hard to import files into the wine's file structure. I eventually just gave up and went back to windows.

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

WildOrchid

Post by WildOrchid » Sat May 30, 2015 10:14 pm

We are not using wine.

I'm running Mint 16. When it was first installed, there was a tile set issue and my husband was able to correct it. He has now updated his computer to Mint 17.1 and the tile set issue is occurring and he can't figure out the fix. He's trying to correct the problems before updating my machine.

I've been playing NWN on Linux for 5+ years.

Hardware? Well, this discussion has gone beyond anything I can answer. I will direct the computer geek husband to this topic!

Thanks, guys!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun May 31, 2015 5:46 am

Can you post screenshots?

furryn

Post by furryn » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:54 am

WildOrchid wrote: He has now updated his computer to Mint 17.1 and the tile set issue is occurring and he can't figure out the fix. He's trying to correct the problems before updating my machine.
I've tried this a few years ago myself. I would try and copy the files into the folders again, overwriting the old ones. It does sound like file corruption.

Is it a GoG version or a CD?

The GoG version is a bit easier to install (i think). And a guy from the forums there made a small package that makes the installation even easier. You can get it here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5kNyXl ... dKaEk/edit

Simply copy the contents into the nwn directory, overwriting old files, running ./fixinstall.
The edit the nwn script as per standard (for the sake of sound) with the removal of ./lib, and adding export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pulse (assuming mint too uses pulse and not alsa)

and, of course use fireboars masterserver thing http://arelith.com/node/6516?page=2 (scroll down a bit, it's there)

at least this is how i installed it on my desktop, it works flawlessly there, much much (like really, you wouldn't believe how much) better than on my windows 8.1 laptop.
It's also how i installed it on my (Elementary Freya) laptop, where it still gives me segmentation fault (but it does that on anything ubuntu 14.04 based, far as i can tell)
WildOrchid wrote: I've been playing NWN on Linux for 5+ years.
And yes, so have i, and i still do :)

Update: thinking about it, I will try and compose a complete guide with links to all necessary files today if i can find the time.
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.