Retro Gaming

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Nitro

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by Nitro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am

Man, blizzard games occupied my growing up, when Diablo came out I was just swept away by how dark and immersive it felt, and how good the gameplay was.
Good times.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:28 am

Thief 1
command & conquer red alert
Commandos
GTA 1 (my eyes still hurt from thinking of this game...)
the sims.
Theme Hospital

Bran Bree

Post by Bran Bree » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Haven't played many games in past year, but last retro games I replayed: River City Ransom, Mega Man 2 (IMO one the best game soundtracks from NES era), Out Of This World (Another World), and Super Metroid.

Also, there's this one oddball game called Maniac Mansion I'd be curious about replaying, but haven't.

3d6InOrder

Post by 3d6InOrder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Did anybody play the Magic: The Gathering computer game? Kind of like Witcher III if all you had was the waypoint map and Gwent.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Lord of the realms 2

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:42 pm

This was my favourite as a kid.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Ork wrote:Lord of the realms 2
Oh man, I was all about this as a kid. Goooo my peasant sappers!

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 am

How could I have forgotten Golden Eye and all the hours my buddies and I spent in highschool kicking each other's butts? Definitely awesome!

I was always a NES/SNES fan myself, but the Genesis did have a few great games too. I cannot believe that the Shining Force games were not mentioned nor one of my favorites for the longest time Herzog Zwei!

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:24 am

X-Com: UFO Defense, Quest for Glory series, Fallout 1 & 2, Homeworld, Command and Conquer (Tiberian Dawn & Red Alert), anything Infinity Engine, Alpha Centauri, Warcraft 2 & Starcraft

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:44 am

Griefmaker wrote:Shining Force games were not mentioned nor one of my favorites for the longest time Herzog Zwei!
Oh man, those are absolute gems right there! Split screen Herzog, baby!

I'd toss in Iron Storm and Panzer Dragoon Saga on the Sega Saturn (I still own both, I've seen the Panzer game sell around $900 on Ebay. It's my retirement plan.) Iron Storm was a great strategy game set in WWII, and you could eventually invade America with your Nazi UFOs. Being able to do that 20 years ago seemed like a big deal at the time.

The Romance of the Three Kingdoms III & IV, Gemfire (!), Nobunaga's Ambition, Uncharted Waters, and just about anything KOEI made on the SNES.

Hot damn, Wing Commander! I used to love to take the competition on the kill board along with me on missions, where they would meet their demise at my treacherous hands. The awkward side-glances I would make at the funeral ceremony later were equally hilarious.

Military Madness on the Turbografix16 (yeah, dust that sucker off)

Blaster Master on the NES.

Armor Ambush on the Atari.

These are all games I spent way too much time playing as a young'un.

Fun topic, so many of the other games mentioned bring back lots of memories.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 am

Artos13 wrote: Hot damn, Wing Commander!
DUDE WING COMMANDER WAS MY @!$%!!! Especially Wing Commander: Privateer. I spent so many hours on that game as a kid and the WC series in general. But Privateer, was just amazing and I still go back to it sometimes. Back in the days when instead of controllers, you had joysticks that would have like 50 buttons on them. And for games that were 2D just attempting to look 3D... dayum it was impressive. I still think dogfights in WC are more intense and strategic than a lot of modern day spaceship games.

Also, Pajama Sam. Not gonna lie, my GF and I bought the first Pajama Sam on steam and spent a whole entire night playing it. The early 90s was like the golden age of kids' games. I had this like interactive storybook game for Green Eggs and Ham that I'd spend an hour on just one page, clicking on stuff in the scenery because it moved and made noise.

Oh the year was 1778...

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:03 am

\

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:07 am

oh right

This was my first PC game ever. It's dated, it has god awful controls, very niche soundtrack, horrible combat, even worse AI, shallow characters and a B-Movie tier story. But I've still a soft spot for it.

Time Commando
:)

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:10 am

Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Kirito

Post by Kirito » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:23 am

First game i played involved monkeys throwing bananas on dos. You had to specify, angle and power and watch the monkey hurl it's banana at another monkey... simple times ;)

I grew up on Command and Conquer, Red Alert, Mech Warrior 3 & 4, Mech Commander 2, Diablo, Age of Empires, Civnet, SimCity, BG/BG2/NWN and many others (Comix zone?)

It was a big day when we upgraded our family computer to have 166Mhz Processor and I could FINALLY play BG1 after waiting for like an eternity xD

Now i have it on my tablet... and BG2... life is good xD

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:01 am

Shadow Run for Sega Genesis is the second-greatest RPG I've ever played, BG being the first.

Then there's Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory 1-5

Then there's Star Control 2.

If you're into classic gaming and you haven't played these games you don't know what you're missing.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:07 am

People have mentioned Quake. There was this really awesome mod for it called Fantasy Quake which added rpg fantasy classes to the game. It was one of my favorite mods.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:29 am

Ah Mechwarrior, I remember playing Mechwarrior 2 (netmech and mercnet) online in league play where each team would play as one of the Houses/Clan/Periphery/Pirate/Merc groups on a full Battletech universe map, taking over planets, raiding, etc in PvP with a bit of RP. Continued that through to Mech 4/Mercs. I remember the Mech2 CDs were formatted so you had the game on "track 1" while all the music on track 2+ and so you could queue up songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNWK8qqfpyE&index=23

There was a whole meta around building the right mech in Mech2. I remember high level play ended up looking like something out of Macross/Robotech where you'd have combatants dodging/shooting down salvos of missiles and flying between the individual rounds of autocannon fire. Mech3+ slowed it down to be less like an anime and more like armored behemoths trading shots.

Anyone play Crescent Hawk Inception/Revenge?

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 pm

Currently playing Final Fantasy Origins and VII (7) since I was blessed by the "gaming god" when I found these ps1-games by accident with the great condition! Just like new! XD

I would tell more about retro games I have and love but then I would probably go insane with squees.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:15 pm

Played VTM:B the other day, fun game. Also all the Infinity Engine games are superb, as is Arcanum and TOEE if you mod the shit out of the latter.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Oh! Just remembered, the original Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. I was never much into the whole vampire stuff, but this game changed that a little bit.

Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Bran Bree wrote:Haven't played many games in past year, but last retro games I replayed: River City Ransom, Mega Man 2 (IMO one the best game soundtracks from NES era)

Also, there's this one oddball game called Maniac Mansion I'd be curious about replaying, but haven't.
Mega Man 2, Dr. Wiley Stage 1 music has got to be the king of retro 8 bit game theme music!

Maniac Mansion and it’s wacky sequel, “The Day of The Tentacles” were excellent..
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 pm

I don't remember which game was first .. I played a lot of stuff. Lost Vikings. Commander Keen. Later on Diablo and Everquest. Ultima Online! Aw yeee.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Oh, I remember my first video game. I remember it well.
I was pro. Top 10 NA MLG.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain