Support Fort Guldorand

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

God In Action

Re: Support Fort Guldorand

Post by God In Action » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 am

Y'all explorin' longshanks need to learnthat dwarves built Arelithian civilisation when your ancestors were in diapers. And that goes for you elves too! Brogendenstein is just a temporary frontier until dwarves get their proper Hold back...

IDidNotDoIt

Post by IDidNotDoIt » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:01 am

Atleast give guldorand a Laurick.

Everyone is recruiting, So is Guldorand, And Guldorand desperately needs people. But I get excuses that it is to far away, not easily reached or to dangerous to go there alone.
Meanwhile the mountains are overran by talosians O.o

As for my IC plan to make guldorand a fort: its common sense. There are ogers, giants, undead, druids, elementals and even a dragon all surrounding guldorand. Not to mention ankhegs.. and all that guldo has is a broken front gate to stop them? If any settlement need fortification, knights and all that. It is Guldo.
Also, I kinda think forts/castles with lords and ladies who protect their lands is far more fantasy correct and a lot mire fun than the sort of today democracy we have going on at the human settlements.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:16 am

IDidNotDoIt wrote:Atleast give guldorand a Laurick.
Cordor, Wharftown, The Crow's Nest, and Brogendenstein already have Lauricks, and Bendir is a stone's throw from the island's portal hub. There's plenty of living space for folks who are dependent on amenities.

When I go out into the wilderness, I don't want there to be mass transit going through the area. I go there for the solitude, and to only encounter those few other people who understand why I'm there. If city folk could drop in effortlessly for a day trip, they'd ruin the experience. It's good to maintain places where only those determined to get there can go.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:21 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:
IDidNotDoIt wrote:Atleast give guldorand a Laurick.
Cordor, Wharftown, The Crow's Nest, and Brogendenstein already have Lauricks, and Bendir is a stone's throw from the island's portal hub. There's plenty of living space for folks who are dependent on amenities.

When I go out into the wilderness, I don't want there to be mass transit going through the area. I go there for the solitude, and to only encounter those few other people who understand why I'm there. If city folk could drop in effortlessly for a day trip, they'd ruin the experience. It's good to maintain places where only those determined to get there can go.
Agree with that feeling, but:

In a realistic meaning, Guldorand could never survive if didn't got better defenses, and by that I am meaning perhaps, a strong wall... (Think in Bendir, as fort still keeping the field taste)... Think in Winterfell (Games of Thrones) that city kepts a wild taste too and has strong walls!... Look the Great Wall of that same saga (inspired in the Romanic walls of Adrian and Constantine, to keep the wild Picts away in the Old Britain)

I agree about Laurick could be too much because that could start making every corner of Arelith so easily reachable for everyone. While in the other side, could be awesome to let Guldorand become a true town, that obviously not everyone want at all, for legit reasons.

Arelith certainly need to keep some wild taste at some places, but keep those places not banished under a horde of mountain giants! :P
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 am

I'm not sure a stone wall is the best response to boulder-chucking, giant-sized humanoids.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 am

yellowcateyes wrote:I'm not sure a stone wall is the best response to boulder-chucking, giant-sized humanoids.
But better than wooden walls?
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 am

The whole 'wall' approach might be the wrong way to go.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:30 am

In general I'd restrict hostile mobs mostly to dungeons and close vicinity to dungeons.

There's been civilization on the island for a long time and the whole place feels like a dungeon itself. A bit immersion breaking. I mean you need to messacre dozens of wolves, cougars and bears aside the giants just to buy a pint of ale. Wat.

This whole island is under constant siege. Ironically the settlement with the largest walls (Cordor) is besieged only by wolverine.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 am

Winter83 wrote:In general I'd restrict hostile mobs mostly to dungeons and close vicinity to dungeons.

There's been civilization on the island for a long time and the whole place feels like a dungeon itself. A bit immersion breaking. I mean you need to messacre dozens of wolves, cougars and bears aside the giants just to buy a pint of ale. Wat.

This whole island is under constant siege. Ironically the settlement with the largest walls (Cordor) is besieged only by wolverine.
Agree... but, while I could see fair a "safety belt" of areas without dangerous encounters in the closest areas within each settlement:

because:
1. The settlement was chosen in those more pacified areas
2. The settlement itself pacifies and clean the sourrounding areas

I could keep the danger on the wild areas, where by "wild" I mean those areas far away from civilization.

The problem could be that Arelith is a bit compressed and could easily use those extra areas for the mentioned "security belts".

Thank you

rat0a
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by rat0a » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:25 am

I will keep Guldorand the way it is

A remote Logger little town up in the mountains, it make's no sense to do a city like settlement because is remote, danger is out there, there is a reason for a safe passage called the Bridge if you for some reason take another way you are on your own.

Btw that outpost in the middle of the pass make no sense at all as well, it block the pass and it doesn't look like it belongs there at all..to me the better outpost is like those @ Brog one or two tents and a cooking pot, to be honest I haven't seen no one using that thing yet

The "is no easy to get there" is just an excuse, you can always teleport from the tower, there is a caravan and you can walk from Bendir, but yes, is a remote location made for mid lvl characters, I don't think some docks will change that but I could be wrong...I had seen so many trying to make good Rping out of Guldorand but as soon as that person move's on the town will be empty again.

People is not the settlement, is how you can interest other players with what you have that counts

Brog is a good example, is bigger than ever and I will ask how many times you see more than 3 Dwarve's at the same time? Hell even 2 is a rare thing
Hana Bora Tormite WM 2011 Retired
Kyra Fryar Tempurian Kensai WM 2012 Retired
Timon Colt Tormite Paladin 2014 Wanderer Sem-Retired
Aldred Ogden Tormite Paladin 2015 on&off
Theela Kenson Tormite Paladin 2018 Main

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Brog will have always the trouble of a low dwarven pupolation, while there are more elves and defo more humans.

Thank you

AEJDR

Post by AEJDR » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:53 pm

I play now for everal years on arelith. And enjoy it every time. I know that my roleplay aint the best, but help for stone can be asked IG. The problem with Guildorand is its history. in the paste they offered evil a home, understandable so close to banite grounds, but that is still working against Guild now. I think Kouto is doing a good job trying to get ohter well known characters involved. They have to spread the news that Guild needs help and that Guild will stay neutral to all. But above that, that Guildourand will grow to an adult place, where rules are, for all. And if you look close to it that Guildorand next to Cordor is the only place where you can live as we all live in the real world.
So all i ask, if you are asked to help please listen, and dont make a decision on what happend in the past, but help build a new future. Now is the time to interact and lay a bit of your own in Arelith future. And again thank you DM's for the updates, you make it all refreshing again.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 am

Guldorand isn't a "FORT" though, it is a "LOGGING CAMP" if anything it's already way-built-up.

take out those structures, bring in more TENTS!
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 am

Yeah, the logging camp has been a village for decades now.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

AEJDR

Post by AEJDR » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:58 am

All true, it is a loggercamp, but in the early day's we were also hunting and gathering to eat, time goes on, so does the time on arelith. If there are some who want to make from a loggers camp a fortress, why not. If they get IG enough support, what is than the point. As long is it in game. If you question the porpose of it, why not questioning all other upgrades. The thing is that we all have to keep the game intresting for a lot of people. In my opinion, is there nothing wrong with a bit of progression on Arelith. And If it all will go on, and Guild will become the opposite of what we hoped, look it this way, we have something to deal with and make the best of IG

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:49 am

Druids unite. Burn down the homestead made from dead trees, bring on the beasts of war to tear down the walls of stone.

And yeah, with IG support most many things are viable. And the opposite also. Achieved through Roleplay.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:20 am

Winter83 wrote:Druids unite. Burn down the homestead made from dead trees, bring on the beasts of war to tear down the walls of stone.

And yeah, with IG support most many things are viable. And the opposite also. Achieved through Roleplay.
like if those walls where going to be without defenders

Anyway, I see was a bad idea to post this thread, since makes no sense ask something OOCly that should be only managed ICly (I stated that already as I said aswell that I posted it cause being bored, but still)

FACTS:

1. Guldorand still alive. This is meaning that the logging camp, despite the nearly druids who should try to eradicate the men cutting trees, is well defended.

2. Every settlement that was in a dangerous or strategic spot, and then had to build walls, had wood walls only in their most ancient phase, while those got update to stone walls as soon as it was posible or if the menace scalated.

3. Skull Crags has not Titans that could just smash stone walls... just giants that can also be beaten by the same defendorts defending currently now wood walls.

4. As the settlement made in a froentier with the wild, in more meanings than any other, makes sense that in the long term of time ended into a better defended place, like a fort. makes sense, or could make sense ONLY if that was growing (and not inverse)

You don't enhance a place that is dying, but you enhance a palce that is getting more population or that is needed to be defended cause being a strategic location.

5. The current mayor is trying IG to enhance it... Ok, certainly this thread is pretty useless so everything shall be done via IG.

6. Some will try to sabotage the Kouto's efforst... others would help them... The time will say what will happen I guess...

What I mainly wanted to say, I think, is that is cool to see how a server evolves because the players are allowed to intervenite in the world.

Peace.

Thank you

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:44 am

I think the problem posed here (concerning specifically the growth of housing/shops) is that it falls under a previous post I made. Adding more storage specifically (storage chests/shops, ext...) is hard on the server side. Their hardware can only support so much (Correct me if i'm mistaken here) and thus the dev's have to work within their constraints. Remember this is a privately run server, that someone is so graciously providing. If we wanted (or even could) pool money, (perhaps through kickstarter?) to get the hardware upgraded, then perhaps, but thats up to the Devs/owners! :)
Be Prepared

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:58 am

DaTexican wrote: ... :)
I like your avatar picture, it is awesome!

your argument is out of doubt solid and right. (Guldorand could get enhanced the security and looking and keep the housing as it is in numbers, perhaps but still matter for IG actions, so... )

Cheers

Thank you

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:21 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:Brog will have always the trouble of a low dwarven pupolation, while there are more elves and defo more humans.

You weren't here a few years ago when Brog was absolutely over run with dwarves.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:24 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote:
DaTexican wrote: ... :)
I like your avatar picture, it is awesome!

Cheers
Be Prepared

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote:Brog will have always the trouble of a low dwarven pupolation, while there are more elves and defo more humans.

You weren't here a few years ago when Brog was absolutely over run with dwarves.
I wasn't here and I am sorry, because I was losing a lot of fun that I could have if I were here :cry:

Also, sad that I couldn't see the Glory Age of the Golden Hall, replenished with loads of dwarves.

Thank you

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 pm

Part of the frustration with is that I have nave no possible IC motivation to resist building up the defenses. So long as it doesn't obstruct her view over the cliffs, Layla would quarry the stone and build up the walls with her own hands. I, as a player, don't want to see that happen. Guld isn't tactically important, it's the butt-end of nowhere.

People who want to see a fort settlement have any number of old forts that could be restored to fit the purpose. If Guld gets turned into a fortress, there's no other settlement like it.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:16 am

Stone walls are not meaning necesarily a fortress.

Many old celtic settlements had stone walls too, and they stayed flavoured and wild!

Also... there is not need to raise a wall in the rifts XD... the rifts are wall enough, but in the walkable places to keep away with better sucess the monsters while the small defenders must hit them back.

I am guessing there won't pop a formidable castle from the night to the day :P

Anyway, I regret start this non sensical thread while certainly anything IG will be decided through the IG actions, not through posts in a forum.

My apologies about, I won't do it again for sure.

Thank you

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:53 am

Don't be sorry. This is what the forums are for :D
Be Prepared