Support Fort Guldorand

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Support Fort Guldorand

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 pm

This is just a call to every player that might anytime find suitable to see a real progression and enhancement on the settlements and...

Most important even, WIN a new valuable settlement with more housing and fastest ways to travell there through sail...

Surely most of you realiced the efforts of Kouto (lady archimage and current Guldorand's mayor) to upgrade Guldorand from a logging camp to a serious mountain fort or small citadel...

This, would give more oprtions to those looking for a permanent residence where humans have not many options...

Cordor
Wharftown
Crow's nest

While Myon is available just to Elves /half-elves
While Brogendenstein is only available to Dwarves (quarters, shops)
While bendir is just for hin
While the Crow's Nest is almost dead (but a passing point) and with a lot less of facilities...
While other important settlement as it was Benwick was turned into ruins...

So, considering the humen are the most common race they have a low number of options about where to reside... Guldorand right now is not so much but a logging camp, but could become as important and as finely comunicated as it is Wharftown currently now (and posibly could be even more important than Wharftown)

What I ask?

If you have, had or were planning to have in a future, an human character... or anyother race wiling to help them, just think how great could be get Guldorand enhanced... and then, if that pleased you and matched your RP, you could maybe support a bit or a lot that kouto's effort and share the effort to be responsabile of the sucess on upgrade Guldorand!

Guldorand requires a looooooooooooot of stone... Pick some... donate or sell it there... :)

Make me have something larger to draw in the Arelith map than a logging camp! :lol:

(Kudos to Kouto for her efforts)

PD. Yes, I avoided to mention the smellie Mayfields Inn near the Arcane Tower... because it smells! (and lacks facilities unless you was a mage allowed to complete them witht he arcane tower)
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Support Fort Guldorand

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Is this a suggestion directed at players?
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:15 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:Is this a suggestion directed at players?
yesss XD

Not a decree
Not an order
Not a command
Not a hint
Not a request
Not a blackmail
Not a.. hmmmm

A sugestion for players :P
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:31 pm

You're probably not going to reach the right audience in this subforum. This is really something you need to do in game, not only because the staff doesn't want the forums used for IG stuff, but because very few people will read this, and not everyone who plays the game visits the forums.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:40 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:You're probably not going to reach the right audience in this subforum. This is really something you need to do in game, not only because the staff doesn't want the forums used for IG stuff, but because very few people will read this, and not everyone who plays the game visits the forums.
yep, I know... I am just spending some time while I complete some task in my office and I though... why not?

low audience and that shall be made through IG actions if anyone wanted to shake the pcs concience/encourage them towards any goal.

Yep

Thank you

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 pm

Humans have plenty of options, and Guldorand has plenty of housing. You have the inn, two manors, and other scattered housing on the outskirts.

I don't want to damper any IC visions, as I think the heart of every settlement should be preserved (Myon/Brog/Bendir's race first/seclusion/xenophobia, Wharftown's Shipping Style, Guldorand's humble logging town, Cordor's Chaos(Just kidding!)) but I will help give ideas on how to get more people without using this forum, which is not going to help.

1: Advertisement is less effective than actual going around and asking in person.
You need to sell it to them. You can't sell it to them if you can't answer a character's questions or doubts. You sell best in person. How effective your character is at it depends on the RP.
2: Give incentives
If you aren't offering something nice, who will settle there? Give them a free available room, free citizenship, an item, something to sweeten the deal. For some, the fact you are surrounded by monsters and need adventurers will do just fine.
3: Have a story going on there, and make time for all.
Scheduling meetings fit best around everyone's schedule is one good way to show life. But more importantly, if there is no story going on, no goal, people can get bored. I don't mean a goal to change Guldorand into a fort, this is a story that needs clear conflict and a clear enemy. That is key.

I'd be glad to help further in PMs.
Please don't feed my sister.

Bones Mist and Moons
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Bones Mist and Moons » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:35 pm

This sounds great. I'd be nice to see a small town grow into something bigger. So far I don't think any city has 'grown'. Cordor changed. The Underdark gets revamped once a year or something. Places get updated with new npcs, but I don't think we've seen a settlement's buildings get bigger, new buildings arise, walls go from wood to stone.

This kind of growth would be awesome. Just imagine saying "Do you remember when this was a simple logging camp?" lol
Don't use cross-area parties and -dispel while idle. Every bit of lag less is a penny in my therapy jar.

Bones - Necromancy, Life, Death, Creation, Time.
Mist - Mystery, Secrecy, Mysticism, Beauty.
Moons - Light, Dark, Space, Magic, Travel.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 am

Bones Mist and Moons wrote:This sounds great. I'd be nice to see a small town grow into something bigger. So far I don't think any city has 'grown'. Cordor changed. The Underdark gets revamped once a year or something. Places get updated with new npcs, but I don't think we've seen a settlement's buildings get bigger, new buildings arise, walls go from wood to stone.

This kind of growth would be awesome. Just imagine saying "Do you remember when this was a simple logging camp?" lol
Exactly

While the time goes bye and the count of years move more and more (110+ IG years!) makes sense that certain settlements grew (while others seems to get ruined as Stonehold and Benwick).

I know this is not the right place to encourage this, I just wanted to spend some time on a post and this was what came to my mind. Obviously, any legit effort must be made through the game and ICs.

But that doesn't mean that wouldn't be cool to find some day the cities getting upgraded by the combinated efforts of the character players ^^

Thank you

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Bones Mist and Moons wrote:This sounds great. I'd be nice to see a small town grow into something bigger. So far I don't think any city has 'grown'. Cordor changed. The Underdark gets revamped once a year or something. Places get updated with new npcs, but I don't think we've seen a settlement's buildings get bigger, new buildings arise, walls go from wood to stone.

They've ALL grown actually, Myon maybe being a lone exception. Look at Burrowhome and Brogendenstein in the last year especially.

Guldorand is especially a peeve to me though, as it was expanded by some building volunteers long ago with LOTS of private housing, and it was entirely against the design principles that I tend to adhere to when building on Arelith. It's sprawled out (takes up about 4x the areas of Wharftown actually) and the lack of cohesive building there leaves it a mess, and I think makes it very difficult for players to attract other players to it.

Yes, your (and other) player's actions may inspire some change, but it also requires a redesign based on functionality as well.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Artos13 wrote:Guldorand is especially a peeve to me though, as it was expanded by some building volunteers long ago with LOTS of private housing, and it was entirely against the design principles that I tend to adhere to when building on Arelith. It's sprawled out (takes up about 4x the areas of Wharftown actually) and the lack of cohesive building there leaves it a mess, and I think makes it very difficult for players to attract other players to it.
Maybe some good old fashioned arson is in order. I like the gruff wandering mountain men atmosphere. If a Sharper Image, a Sunglass Hut, and a Starbucks open there, I'm going to be disappointed.

That place begs for a tight community layout, with a big gathering hall. And ale. And mead. And spirits.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:41 pm

I am going to destroy you.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Peppermint wrote:I am going to destroy you.
Elaborate this, please XD

Thank you

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Vh'larra! Vh'larra! Ultrinann!

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:04 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Artos13 wrote:Guldorand is especially a peeve to me though, as it was expanded by some building volunteers long ago with LOTS of private housing, and it was entirely against the design principles that I tend to adhere to when building on Arelith. It's sprawled out (takes up about 4x the areas of Wharftown actually) and the lack of cohesive building there leaves it a mess, and I think makes it very difficult for players to attract other players to it.
Maybe some good old fashioned arson is in order. I like the gruff wandering mountain men atmosphere. If a Sharper Image, a Sunglass Hut, and a Starbucks open there, I'm going to be disappointed.

That place begs for a tight community layout, with a big gathering hall. And ale. And mead. And spirits.
+1. Guld has as many quarters as Wharftown, maybe a couple more, even. Sure, the local boat and guild hall are outside the control of the leadership, but I see that as a feature, not a bug. Don't get me wrong, as a player, I like seeing these IC plans, but I would be disappointed to see Guld change into something very different, because there's nothing else with that rugged sort of frontier feel to it.

I like that there's no road that connects Guldorand to any other settlement. I like that feel of "Welcome to the edge of civilization, kids. We're surrounded by giants and ogres and savages, with nothing but a low wall, flimsy gates, and steely-eyed mountain folk between them and this town being a ruin. Grab hold of your boot straps, greenhorn, it's time to start pullin'."
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:35 am

Arelith itself is an island out in the middle of nowhere, but how much of it, even the supposed wilderness, actually feels like the edge of the civilized world while you're playing? Maybe it's just me, but no part of Cordor or Wharftown feel frontierish to me at all.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Certainly Cordor is like the only civilization... To my eyes, Wharftown is like a safepoint besieged by the wilderness, not as Cordor at all... Brog and Crows in the same spot. Even Bendir seems so close to all kind of dangers...

Guldorand? a logging camp that could vanish any time under any enviroment or event and surviving cause the only reason of the heroes that run in its defense from other settlements.

I think stone walls wouldn't hurt it, but I think the same about wharftown (that could also expand to the northern hills to get a bit more of housing and a government hall in a higher citadel above the tidal point)

But then, and of cours, each one has his opinion (extremely legit one) and their point of view... and only the IG sucess will decide what will happen (like already did with, let's say Benwick)

This is what makes great a server as Arelith, the RP/IG impact on the server.

Thank you

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:00 pm

IndifferentPerson wrote:I thought Arelith itself was the frontier.
I'm under the impression FL Arelith is the frontier, Regular Arelith is the result of the settlers' expansion. And is now a money-making scheme in SOME WAY for the Amnish overlords.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:04 pm

I feel like the people discussing frontiers in this thread don't actually know what a frontier is.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:52 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:I feel like the people discussing frontiers in this thread don't actually know what a frontier is.
Coreybush11 wrote: a money-making scheme.
It's in there, just a little confused.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:05 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:I feel like the people discussing frontiers in this thread don't actually know what a frontier is.
Rystefn wrote:"Welcome to the edge of civilization, kids."
Pretty sure that's the whole and complete definition right there, TRM.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am

None place on Arelith is out of civilization yet... every corner was at some point settled and colonized.

The NPCs count aswell as settlers.

All the north was colonized in the past by Dwarves (Dark Spires -> Ruins of the Ancient First Dwarves, Skull Crags-> Glorang Mur), then also Elves (Minmir)

Now, the north still inhabited by all kind of civilizated (evil or good) races, like dwarves, humans, duergars... druids... evil monks (Viper temple)

Swamps? That could be maybe the last frontier...

Orcs and Goblin Hills? Those are races, evil, yes, but races, and makes societies that already is aswell some sort of civilization.

Arelith is a SMALL island not a continent... pretend that there could be some sort of frontier between civilization and wild (intended as natured wild without any presence of societies but just feral and brutal creatures) is like pretend there is a frontier between the civilization and the wild among your home and your neighbours homes.

Thank you

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:00 am

There needs to be a space on the server for that "wild" feeling, as others have pointed out.

The problem is, and I mean this with all respect, everyone who comes to a position of IG power usually has some grandiose plan of change. If all of them got enacted upon, the server would be a belligerent mess. No matter how much work you think you're putting in, no matter how much stone or wood you collect, there's probably ten guys throughout Arelith history who did ten times the amount of work, had ten times the ambition, and yet, didn't manage to change (server tileset wise) a thing. You have to realize how big of a thing it is to change a house to an Inn, let alone a logging camp to a citadel (which feels so cheapening and arbitrary to me. sorry.).

(also, one thing that's always confused me with these suggestions- how do you add in "stone walls" (which has to be a buzzword by now) without changing to a different tileset?)

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Ecstatic

Post by Ecstatic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Personally, I find the notion of a significant thematic buildup to Guldorand to be somewhat horriying, from an aesthetic standpoint. That settlement has always had heaps of flavor and style, and the way in which people have been proposing to build it up have been, at least to me, conceptually repulsive.

Taking the Foresty Mountain Lumbertown and surrounding it with stone walls, plopping a busy metropolitan market in the middle of it, and dropping a whole village of dwellings down along the shoreline would rob the town of a lot of its charm and character. The changes Artos has made have largely been functional, without tweaking the theme and feel of the town. The changes I've seen proposed for Guldorand by the playerbase are a whole different kettle of fish.
TANSTAAFL

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:59 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote: That place begs for a tight community layout, with a big gathering hall. And ale. And mead. And spirits.
a large but solitary, beowulfian mead hall. that'd be so cool.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?