Underdark Slaves Wanted!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

furryn

Re: Underdark Slaves Wanted!

Post by furryn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Need to ask you something, in regards to Slave RP. I generally presume that players are not... Di - err, you know; mean to other players. I am considering taking one of my higher level chars to the underdark with the OOC intention to let him become a slave. But to this end, i have a concern. And It's at it's core a very bad reason i guess.

I have very limited online time, and as such leveling takes forever, particularly when you always jump at the chance (or go out of your way in general to) of RP when you are out to level. And as such, i wonder if I do that will I be in danger of being slain to the limit where I start losing levels? or be "forced" to be a magic item fabricater?

I mean: in theory, i could understand HOW it could happen and all - It's just: I usually desire to add something to the RP of others, more than to my own. But i'll not do it at the constant cost of my own joy in playing this game.

Any UD'er response? :)
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm

I've never been super involved in slave RP, so I'm not a great reference on this topic. However, as a rule of thumb it all depends on who you play with. If you're worried about if slave RP will be fun, you could roll a slave char and try him out for a week.

I've seen slave RP work really well. I very rarely see slaves treated poorly (in an OOC sense, that is). However, most of the slaves I see eventually fall in the middle... and are more or less forgotten. make sure that whoever you RP with is going to be actively engaged in having you as a slave or you'll just turn into another UD surfacer.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

furryn

Post by furryn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:32 am

Dalenger wrote:I've never been super involved in slave RP, so I'm not a great reference on this topic. However, as a rule of thumb it all depends on who you play with. If you're worried about if slave RP will be fun, you could roll a slave char and try him out for a week.

I've seen slave RP work really well. I very rarely see slaves treated poorly (in an OOC sense, that is). However, most of the slaves I see eventually fall in the middle... and are more or less forgotten. make sure that whoever you RP with is going to be actively engaged in having you as a slave or you'll just turn into another UD surfacer.
It's not like that character would never be able to "escape" would it? I'm thinking a permanent slave would be boring?

any other tips on the matter, anyone? :)

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:21 am

furryn wrote:
It's not like that character would never be able to "escape" would it? I'm thinking a permanent slave would be boring?

any other tips on the matter, anyone? :)
Totally agree.

A player needs absolute freedom to RP his character in the best possible way, flowing with the situations (and by freedom I am not referring to the slavery, but to the freedom to decide where he wants to go with his RP).
I guarantee that restraints into a PC are equal to boredom...sooner or later (from my PnP experience).

Role play is a living history being created by an interactive community, where all may be posible.
Kill the freedom and you kill a good amount of the surprise factor, hence the amusement and fun.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:23 am

furryn wrote:Need to ask you something, in regards to Slave RP. I generally presume that players are not... Di - err, you know; mean to other players. I am considering taking one of my higher level chars to the underdark with the OOC intention to let him become a slave. But to this end, i have a concern. And It's at it's core a very bad reason i guess.

I have very limited online time, and as such leveling takes forever, particularly when you always jump at the chance (or go out of your way in general to) of RP when you are out to level. And as such, i wonder if I do that will I be in danger of being slain to the limit where I start losing levels? or be "forced" to be a magic item fabricater?

I mean: in theory, i could understand HOW it could happen and all - It's just: I usually desire to add something to the RP of others, more than to my own. But i'll not do it at the constant cost of my own joy in playing this game.

Any UD'er response? :)
As a UD player I can tell you your odds of being killed to the point of losing levels are virtually nonexistant. We UD players know that its all about having fun, and if you as a player running a slave don't have fun, you'll stop bothering to play a slave, which lessens our fun as slavers.

Generally your odds of being killed in general are about as high as any UD character. So long as your PC acts like a slave and does their thing, PvP should not be an issue. The way things work down there is "Talk shit, get hit" and it applies to everyone. Be polite and uppity and you won't be a target for PvP, why would you be otherwise? Slaves control nothing. At worst you might get robbed for some resources in a provocation to your character's owner.

As for cranking out magic items... those cost money, lots of it. Unless you are a focused enchanter this will not even be a consideration, and even then, forcing you to delevel to make items is a violation of the be nice rule. You've got nothing to worry about.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:31 am

I was playing an Underdark slave recently, and if anything, found that I was being treated TOO nicely.

Generally speaking the UD is fully of massively considerate players, who go out of their way to foster a sense of enjoyment for others, and bend their role-play accordingly.

Sounds odd, but behind the competing races, districts, and IC motivation, there is massive sense of togetherness down there, that I personally find quite unique to the Underdark.

furryn

Post by furryn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks for the replies, I'll be looking into it :)

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:14 pm

I play slave chars since May last year. And I found that your biggest issue isn't PvP and/or getting killed. Rather that you get ignored. In other words, although many players around you, you might feel pretty much left on your own.

So I guess it takes a little patience. Or take a break and jump on a surfacer!

:)

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:44 am

I often see slaves moving around down there. So long as they're moving purposefully from point A to B, I just assume they've been given orders by whoever owns them and leave them alone so they can complete them.
If you play a slave and find yourself with nothing to do... loiter a bit. Make it more obvious you're looking to interact. Drop something, bump someone, emote sneezing at/on someone, do something to make us assume you don't already have somewhere to be.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

furryn

Post by furryn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Durvayas wrote:I often see slaves moving around down there. So long as they're moving purposefully from point A to B, I just assume they've been given orders by whoever owns them and leave them alone so they can complete them.
If you play a slave and find yourself with nothing to do... loiter a bit. Make it more obvious you're looking to interact. Drop something, bump someone, emote sneezing at/on someone, do something to make us assume you don't already have somewhere to be.
You'll regret saying that, my friend :D

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 pm

furryn wrote:
Durvayas wrote:I often see slaves moving around down there. So long as they're moving purposefully from point A to B, I just assume they've been given orders by whoever owns them and leave them alone so they can complete them.
You'll regret saying that, my friend :D
Sounds like a game I used to play as my lowbie gnoll: "messin with drow!" Basically go around and sniff people/chew on their cloaks if they're foolish enough to take a nap in the hub. Heh heh. Lots of great rp from that game!
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Inalden

Post by Inalden » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:47 am

Gonna be playing a Monk slave down there Yohanka, (sorry not loged in so thats not the proper spelling :P), if you see me, feel free to talk/stop/punch me :P