In the 41'st century, there is only war...hammer.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Arther Goodmane

In the 41'st century, there is only war...hammer.

Post by Arther Goodmane » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:10 pm

This is very unrelated to Forgotten Realms or even Arelith, but does anyone here (on the forum) collect, paint and or play with game workshop's citadel miniatures from Warhammer, 40k or LOTR?

I've been sulking lately, since I can't afford it myself and the closest hobby shop is 2 hours away.

I dream of one day owning a Tau army.

I currently have a Bretonian battleforce thingy (almost completely painted). My paint has ran dry three times and each time I had to water it up...you know, cause I can't afford more paint.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: In the 41'st century, there is only war...hammer.

Post by Mithreas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 pm

http://arelith.com/node/954
You are not alone :)
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Mithreas wrote:http://arelith.com/node/954
You are not alone :)
YEEEEE! :D

I'll try and get some pics of my army and post em.

PS: Starcraft stole warhammer's ideas.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Sure do! About a thousand points of Death Korps of Krieg, building them up little unit by little unit.

What do you think to 7th Ed?

Faye

Post by Faye » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:14 pm

I play Chaos in 40K, and field about 1.5k points currently! I think I three Chaos Lords now [A Nurgle Motorcyclist, complete with plagued skin on his handlebars; a Tzeentchian Sorcerer, and a half-Slaanesh, half-what-even-the-heck Terminator Lord.] Each with their own little unit, sort of.

One of my favourite squads I have are some Chaos Space Marines which I picked up from an independent comic book/miniatures/generally geeky store. Some with tentacles for arms, some with two heads, all with an excellent paint scheme! Though I'm blessed with an excellent supergluer, and together we have made some great models from the most unlikely things.

I've recently also been painting Fantasy (Vampire Counts!) and some odd LOTR models for an upcoming P&P game.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:16 pm

pics, post them!
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

God In Action wrote:Sure do! About a thousand points of Death Korps of Krieg, building them up little unit by little unit.

Arther Goodmane wrote:I've been sulking lately, since I can't afford it myself...
I can't afford the rule book or any of the codexes (apart from the Bretonian codex that I have). So...I really can't tell you what's new, good or bad about 7'th edition.

But hay, if you have a torr-err...I mean, a legitimate means of showing me the rule book, I'd be happy to read it. :P

Also, Chaos is probably one of the most visually diverse army there is. You can literally go bonkers with the aesthetic, nothing needs to actually make sense. They are a bit too loud for my tastes though. So are the Orcs. Not to say they aren't brilliant.

A Question though: How high is the point per model for the Tau compared to the others? Because of my budget, I want a small, elite army...you know, one day.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:10 pm

What_Evil_Lurks wrote:pics, post them!
I have just 8 small models to finish (2 Bretonian Bowmen and 6 men at arms) until my "Bretonian Battalion" is done!

20 men at arms, 16 Bowmen, 8 knights of the Realm and one Pegasus rider. It will take a while, but once it's done, I'll post pics of it.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Good stuff!
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

s.t.a.l.k.e.r.

Post by s.t.a.l.k.e.r. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:26 pm

I favor the Dark Pixies myself *nods*

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:02 pm

I've had waaaay too many armies over the years for Warhammer Fantasy Battle, including Undead, Orcs, Chaos, Brettonians, Dark Elves, High Elves, and Wood Elves. Almost all of them are trashed, and/or have been left behind in moving from house to house when I was younger.

A few years ago we did some PnP D&D, and here's some pics of figures from that session that I did:

Maybe when I get home, I'll go digging through the closet to see what of my armies still remain...

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:17 pm

You paint. Like a boss.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Arther Goodmane wrote:
God In Action wrote:Sure do! About a thousand points of Death Korps of Krieg, building them up little unit by little unit.

Arther Goodmane wrote:I've been sulking lately, since I can't afford it myself...
I can't afford the rule book or any of the codexes (apart from the Bretonian codex that I have). So...I really can't tell you what's new, good or bad about 7'th edition.

But hay, if you have a torr-err...I mean, a legitimate means of showing me the rule book, I'd be happy to read it. :P

Also, Chaos is probably one of the most visually diverse army there is. You can literally go bonkers with the aesthetic, nothing needs to actually make sense. They are a bit too loud for my tastes though. So are the Orcs. Not to say they aren't brilliant.

A Question though: How high is the point per model for the Tau compared to the others? Because of my budget, I want a small, elite army...you know, one day.
Do you want to PM your email?

I don't play tau, and of course the point per model will vary based on list, but they seem to be little in between. Not a horde, not elite, but verging more towards the elite scale. If you want an elite shooty army, Tau are a good bet. Fill it with the big suits and Riptides. Otherwise, Grey Knights very recently got their codex updated and they definitely fulfill the elite high points cost per model slot.

Necrons are a good bet. You can use Immortals as Troops (which are expensive in points for a Troops unit, but still good) and fill the list with the high points cost units. They are shooty, and can be built as an army list a lot of ways. I also have about 2k of Necrons, so know a little bit about them (but, for the record, I play pretty casually rather than to win at tournaments all the time, to each their own for their fun).

Norfildor

Post by Norfildor » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Forget Warhammer, enter Warmachine!

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:46 am

I found something amazing. I, whilst downloading some Tau wallpapers (I seem to be having a Tau obsession at the moment. I'm sure it will clear up soon enough), found one that depicted something odd; A space marine, sharing a color scheme with a Tau platoon, fighting Tyranids.

After some research, I found that Eldar, Space Marines and even the Imperial Gaurd, would occasionally "ally" themselves with Tau forces. Taking into consideration how persuasive Tau philosophy can be (Kroot and Vespid allying with the Tau for example), is it possible for other factions to be mingled with the Tau?

Basically what I am asking is...is there some sort of special rule that allows Space Marine soldiers (very limited I would expect) to be fielded as if they were part of a Tau army? If that was so, that would make me so happy!
Tau and SM are my two favorite factions. I already have 5 space marine figures as it is, fully painted.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 am

I play 40k (Spacewolves). Havent painted my models yet...
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

Jackalspawn

Post by Jackalspawn » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:41 pm

Arther Goodmane wrote:...I dream of one day owning a Tau army...
“Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

God In Action

Post by God In Action » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Arther Goodmane wrote:I found something amazing. I, whilst downloading some Tau wallpapers (I seem to be having a Tau obsession at the moment. I'm sure it will clear up soon enough), found one that depicted something odd; A space marine, sharing a color scheme with a Tau platoon, fighting Tyranids.

After some research, I found that Eldar, Space Marines and even the Imperial Gaurd, would occasionally "ally" themselves with Tau forces. Taking into consideration how persuasive Tau philosophy can be (Kroot and Vespid allying with the Tau for example), is it possible for other factions to be mingled with the Tau?

Basically what I am asking is...is there some sort of special rule that allows Space Marine soldiers (very limited I would expect) to be fielded as if they were part of a Tau army? If that was so, that would make me so happy!
Tau and SM are my two favorite factions. I already have 5 space marine figures as it is, fully painted.
You are in luck my good friend! 7th Edition has rules so that any army can ally with any other army. Some armies are listed as being 'Battle Brothers' (e.g. Imperial Guard and Space Marines with one another) and this allows them to share dedicated transports, things like that. Armies which would not normally fight together in the background (e.g. SM and Chaos SM) still can, but face certain restrictions within the game. This allies system allows you to mix and match armies as part of a single force on the table top. You can totally mix and match Tau and Marines.

Also, check out Miniwargaming on Youtube. Theirs is a tabletop wargaming channel with many free and high quality 40k videos. There are also 7th edition tutorial videos, if you do a little searching.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Jackalspawn wrote: Image
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 am

I used to collect Tau when I was a kid, and my friends collected tyranids or space marines. I don't think between us we ever played a "proper" game. I was terrible at painting them too. Come to think of it, I'm not sure what we did with them?? I guess they looked cool and it was fun to talk about.

(Unfortunately, I have long since chosen the accursed road of hiding my power level IRL, so I gave it all to my younger brother)

Still thoroughly enjoy the universe though, whether that's through Dawn of War, reading licensed books or just surfing the wiki.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Stath

Post by Stath » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:11 am

I have a little tactical squad, force commander and land raider. The crusader is unassembled, and I -somehow- lost the commander. Nothing is even painted, I've been trying to decide upon a Chapter. I've decided to try and imagine up my own, but can never get around to actually coming up with a scheme and cool lore.

I was thinking of something along the lines of an Ultramarines sucessor who aren't as rigid in reguards to the codex astartes and who just get shit done in a down and dirty way. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

BUT ANYWAY. Chaos Warriors in Warhammer Fantasy. I've suddenly had a huge surge of interest in them, and have been considering buying a little regiment. I am thoroughly disgusted and disappointed in all of you with the amount of heresy in this thread.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:23 am

Tzeentch.

just as planned
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Arther Goodmane

Post by Arther Goodmane » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:14 am

God In Action wrote:"You are in luck my good friend! 7th Edition has rules so that any army can ally with any other army"..."You can totally mix and match Tau and Marines."

That is cool news! I even have background lore for why such a group would exist too (very rough at this point): Space marines (one of the more lenient chapters) get stranded on a planet, fighting Tyranids, along with a detachment of Tau fire warriors and their commander and a member of the Ethereal caste.

The Tau manages to convince the surviving marines, eventually, that by combining forces and tactics, they can draw away the main swarm from both Tau and Imperium space. Thus, the new army is born, who I shall call...

Kung Pao.
I want my DM name to be
DM CrampyGut