Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Arelith Map!

Post by Artos13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:23 pm

EDIT: This is now totally available to you crazy maniacs:

Here

For transparency purposes, from what I understand, it should take 30% of the cost that you pay and dump that in our server fund.

The keen-eyed among you may notice it slightly different from the pics I've been posting here (especially the full-size, which I removed from here, since it no longer looks like that). I made some adjustments so the land mass would fill up the poster space better, and added in a few more locations, changed some small things here and there, added some more text, etc.

ENJOY!

Hey folks!

So we got snowed in down here in the South a few weeks ago, I had about 8 days off of work with nothing to do...

I decided to do a map of my own for Arelith, and started sketching it out. After 2 days, I started inking it in. After another few days, I brought it into a scanner and hi-res scanned that sucker, and then brought it into Photoshop, and later Illustrator to color it. Today I finally knocked it out with the type layer, adding location names.

I was always a fan of the famous Morrowind map, and drew inspiration from it, both in muted color palette, and in font choice (it's called "Magic Cards", if any of you typophiles are into it). The beauty of working in digital, is that the actual colored map is much more colorful and vibrant, and I could run out maps with that as well. This version is with the saturation down plenty, to match that Morrowind map look. However, I plan on spending a day or two to make a few variants of the map as well.

I'm in the process of getting it uploaded to somewhere public where people can order prints (it's image size is 24"x36", but I have the original files to actually make it much, much bigger and hold resolution. 24"x36" is a common poster size however, so I made that the main version)

Here's some grabs of portions of the map:

These image grabs are very low quality compared to the actual art. I'll update this when I get the upload/purchase stuff all worked out! The plan is to have this be available for print purchase online, and have all proceeds go towards the Arelith Server Fund. So this way, you can buy it for your own nefarious needs, and STILL help out the community that you love and loves you back!

I know there have been many folks who have worked on their own maps over the years (and ManOfTheMoon recently) and I don't want to discourage them from completing their works. I think the beauty of Arelith is it's subjective nature, and I'd love to see what other people "see" when they map out Arelith! Ideally, if the artists are willing, we could set up all the maps ever made by the community to be purchasable and have the profits go towards the server. (To be clear, I mean the hosting costs of our cloud server)

Kashisjonny

Re: Arelith Map!

Post by Kashisjonny » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:30 pm

Ahah! That artwork is so tottally sweet.
I look forwards to taking down this Skyrim map and replacing it with glorious Arelith.

Good work dude.
Wishes : Wall-E is Cyborg Jesus.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Cool!

The colour is awesome, and I love to find that the shape of the island in the map I am drawing is not so wrong, many similitudes with your own design.

You made me happy!
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Aye I agree with Kash, when I saw that map it actually looks like something you would see published by a gaming company.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:35 pm

It's freaken adorable. I love it!
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Great!
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:58 pm

Here's a sample of the full-saturation version, do people have a preference? Just curious, though I plan on having both (and more) versions available.

@ManoftheMoon: I really like the direction yours is going in, and I think Lord of the Rings when I see it. Again, I love the notion of many maps, and look forward to your completion!

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Man, you should give the colour to my map XD

Then I would only need to give ink to it. Your colours are awesome

Good work!

Thank you

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:04 pm

It was surprisingly fast and easy, and I'm happy to walk you through my process if you plan on using Photoshop for your coloring!

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:49 pm

It looks great, but if I were to criticize anything, there are too many empty hills in between places of interest.

Lord_Phoenyx

Post by Lord_Phoenyx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:50 pm

Artos, glad you were able to dig out! Even in VA we got a bunch of crazy snow! I think I dig the low saturation map better, it just seems more "old-timey" and "gamey" to me. Also, I am now looking forward to purchasing one.

doublesix

Post by doublesix » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Who do I need to stab to get a tshirt printed with that?

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:55 pm

IndifferentPerson wrote:It looks great, but if I were to criticize anything, there are too many empty hills in between places of interest.
Totally okay to critique this too! I'm still looking at it and seeing a few things I want to change before finalizing the deal.

-Add "The Trackless Sea" out in the water
-Look at some other commonly available poster sizes and see if I can't get that logo down and take out some of the empty space above, so the land mass fills the map more.
-Add in The Thousand Stair as text
-Mess around with more colors and textures

BUT, in response to your input, Indifferent Person, since changing the hills at this point isn't as fun, are there places of interest that you can think of that would be appropriate to add? I really would like it to be detailed. If there's things I missed, especially long-standing player-made landmarks, let me know!

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 pm

Love it!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 pm

dude, seriously great job!

your arcane tower makes me lol tho ;p

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Mithradates
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Mithradates » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:54 pm

IndifferentPerson wrote:It looks great, but if I were to criticize anything, there are too many empty hills in between places of interest.
Looks awesome, Artos. The hilly areas are actually hilly in the game, in fact all the geography looks accurate- so I think youv'e portrayed the island perfectly. I'm daring to dream of maps of the individual settlements!

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 pm

doublesix wrote:Who do I need to stab to get a tshirt printed with that?
I will raise yer crazy, with this:

http://www.cafepress.com/make/custom-shower-curtains

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:34 pm

Artos13 wrote:BUT, in response to your input, Indifferent Person, since changing the hills at this point isn't as fun, are there places of interest that you can think of that would be appropriate to add? I really would like it to be detailed. If there's things I missed, especially long-standing player-made landmarks, let me know!
Campsite grove between Gambler's Bluff and Bendir.

Old Stonehold is missing, or is that the pile of rubble next to Wharftown?

Make crystal caves taller looking, it's the way up to Brog and it's high enough to be constantly cold/snowing.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:45 pm

IndifferentPerson wrote:
Old Stonehold is missing, or is that the pile of rubble next to Wharftown?

Old Stonehold is certainly that pile of rubble ... Note also the same looking as Benwick

Thank you

Stath

Post by Stath » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:18 am

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life, awesome work Artos! I'm going to somehow print this out really big and hang it above my bed on the ceiling. When I go to bed at night it will fall down and smother me, but I will die happy because Arelith.
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:16 am

Totally awesome. Not much else to say about it ....

(... I'd have loved to see the entrance to the gnoll caves, guess why)

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:38 am

This is really cool. I would totally buy a poster sized one of these suckers if that was a thing.
Artos13 wrote:BUT, in response to your input, Indifferent Person, since changing the hills at this point isn't as fun, are there places of interest that you can think of that would be appropriate to add? I really would like it to be detailed. If there's things I missed, especially long-standing player-made landmarks, let me know!
The temple to Hoar on the top of Nexus Falls is THE player created place on the whole of Arelith to me. If I were to put anything else on the map it would be that.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:43 am

Looks awesome. 10/10 would order
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

Scimiter

Post by Scimiter » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 am

TAKE MY MONEY!

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59 am

What_Evil_Lurks wrote:This is really cool. I would totally buy a poster sized one of these suckers if that was a thing.
The temple to Hoar on the top of Nexus Falls is THE player created place on the whole of Arelith to me. If I were to put anything else on the map it would be that.
Temple Of Hoar was taken down by the Church Of Bane.
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!