Strange NWN Problem

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Strange NWN Problem

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:29 am

I unzipped some override files to my Override folder, had some issues and ended up with three override folders - so I condensed them into one file - one override folder. All seemed good - got the new voice sets and more portraits. Made a few characters in the original single person game - everything was working. Logged out of single person, went to log back into my account on Arelith, and the game simply stopped working. Tried four more times, after restarting computer - game keeps crashing right after logging into multiplayer. :?

Shut the computer down completely. Tried again with multi-player and that didn't work, tried loading up a saved single campaign game, that didn't work either. Very odd. Didn't happen until I deleted the multiple override folders ...

Ideas?
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: Strange NWN Problem

Post by Dalenger » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:41 am

Define "stopped working":
Poof! the program disappears?
The program freezes, and eventually "program.whatever has stopped responding" appears?

Also, exactly WHEN does the crash occur?
If it's happening when you attempt to log onto the sever, (and I don't know anything about NWN anti-hacking security whatevers) but the server might be seeing your strange override files as potential hacks, and killing your connection.
If its happening when you enter the multilayer server selection screen, it sounds more internal, likely a strong memory leak that kills the program.

Either way, my recommended fix is delete the override folder and start from scratch.

EDIT: If single player doesn't work either, obviously internal. My recommendation remains the same.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:54 am

Oh ... thanks Dal - will try deleting the Override and starting over.
What I meant by quit working - screen went black, got an error message. The crash occurs after either logging into multiplayer with my user name OR right as I'm loading a saved single person game.

That worked! Thanks Dal. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rattus_norvegicus99 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:49 am

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:...after restarting computer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn2FB1P_Mn8

I.T. problem solving at its finest.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.