In-Game Maps

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Mayonnaise

In-Game Maps

Post by Mayonnaise » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm sure something like this has been suggested before. However, with my recent return to Arelith and with all the talk of maps and the creation of them, and capabilities of the game, I've been stirring around some thoughts. So, here we are!

Basic Idea: Revised

This suggestion is focused around making it possible to make maps in game! Artos made a good revision of my suggestion which tied maps to individual areas, rather than map-room like area - making the suggestion a bit more easy to implement.
Artos13 wrote:I think the best way to execute this would be to give artists the ability to make a map item. When an area has been completely explored (no more black in the mini-map), they can then use that map item, in that area, and the map would allow whoever possessed it to view the map as already explored (no black on mini-map). Perhaps its even named after the area too. The only issue after that becomes full inventories. It's a lot easier to implement, and doesn't possess as many possible exploits!
There are several craftable items that are essentially maps. There could be several for each part of the island, and a combined as a whole. This would be a very neat addition to the Art Crafting trade. However, that isn't quite as important as the entire concept.

Each map would mechanically have a 'unique-power' spell. This, upon use, would take you to an area similar to the Map Maker's room. However, I'm sure it would be refined and spiced-up to be the map of the specific area. Of course, this would lack PCs and NPCs and essentially be used to simulate a map.

As discussion continues, I plan to update the thread accordingly with problems, suggested solutions, and overall refining of the suggestion. So, friends - discuss away!
Last edited by Mayonnaise on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livingNPC

Re: In-Game Maps

Post by livingNPC » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:54 pm

How about making map, similar to the paintings, where everything is descriptive. I tend to enjoy how this game can be approached as a book that you're reading, which is an awesome nod to the novels.

That said, I've plenty of such maps made by the map making guild, which is turning them some decent profits. Player made things are awesome, no need for mechanics to take away of the magic in story telling.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:32 pm

I think the best way to execute this would be to give artists the ability to make a map item. When an area has been completely explored (no more black in the mini-map), they can then use that map item, in that area, and the map would allow whoever possessed it to view the map as already explored (no black on mini-map). Perhaps its even named after the area too. The only issue after that becomes full inventories. It's a lot easier to implement, and doesn't possess as many possible exploits!

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:37 pm

^

Map Roll item.

Use a map on it to add it to your roll. Use the map roll, and it reveals the map if you have the right one.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:50 pm

I'd prefer that this not replace IG made maps. There are items sold by the trinket merchants that make good maps. This coupled with exploration and using the compass can create a detailed map which can be sold.

You can also do this with books since they can easily be replicated in the press.

However! perhaps just like Cordor all the settlements can have their maps as 'explored'.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Artos13 wrote:I think the best way to execute this would be to give artists the ability to make a map item. When an area has been completely explored (no more black in the mini-map), they can then use that map item, in that area, and the map would allow whoever possessed it to view the map as already explored (no black on mini-map). Perhaps its even named after the area too. The only issue after that becomes full inventories. It's a lot easier to implement, and doesn't possess as many possible exploits!
On another server, this had a similar part-implementation. Purchased maps were a useable item, when used in the applicable area, it would remove the fog of war from the mini map.

The only thing it lacked was the player creation bit. Allowing a way to create, and thus reproduce said maps ICly is an awesome idea. I think the idea of being able to use said same blank "Map" item within a fully explored area, to create it.

Bonus points, when said blank map item is used to create the map, let it save and load map pins, so that points of interest can be noted. This would be a very handy, sorely needed bonus feature, as many cave entrances and such on the server are deliberately left mysterious.

Lastly, allow for the map to be duplicated on a printing press. This would allow for the sale of map makers' creations.

Real, graphical map making done this way would be awesome, and it will give Catalin and Kregor something to do when LittleWeasel settles down again from the move to Australia. :D