UD map yes or nono

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

UD map yes or nono

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:47 pm

As I am aproaching to the time when I will complete my map, and start ink and colour phases...

I am starting to plan my next projects.

One may include the map of the Arelith Underdark... This is why I may whant to know the imputs from the Underdarker players better than from anyother.

Take in consideration that to make the map, I will want to justify its creation IG, so won't be just an OOC map at all.

So...
YES? :twisted: ... NO? :evil:
Thanks for your vote in advance.

PD. I have my doubts about, since I think the UD is a place that should be discovered through the game and mysterious enough as to avoid any OOCly disruption in their secrets by players that just never were there but that could see the map...

May be detrimental then?

An option may be keep sharing the map ONLY among the Uders players... and after X time of gaming there... I won't make something just for my exclusive enjoyment, as requires work enough as to want that all the community or a significative part of it may enjoy it too.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

soundsofastream

Re: UD map yes or nono

Post by soundsofastream » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:59 pm

NO, no and NO. Keep the mystery of the place, don't have it all mapped out.
Plays as: Xalanthia Zygorghk'ga, Durna Steelshadow Dead: Olga Anvil breaker. Inactive: Breena Seamfinder, Phaere Zygorghk'Ga, Ellifain Nightstar

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:09 pm

I wouldn't even attempt this quite yet, as the Underdark is still a work in progress and may change drastically by the time you complete it :)

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Artos13 wrote:I wouldn't even attempt this quite yet, as the Underdark is still a work in progress and may change drastically by the time you complete it :)
You know mate, then could be an historical piece for museums! :lol:
soundsofastream wrote:NO, no and NO. Keep the mystery of the place, don't have it all mapped out.
As I suspect this will be the whole answer from Uders, I will keep my efforts then towards make maps for specific areas from the surface, in larger scale and better detail.

Thanks
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm all for a map, to be honest most people end up putting together some form of map ether on paper/program or in their mind so that they know where the different monsters are, resources are, how to get from point a to point b without a portal, etc.

Why not have one put together even if the area is going to change soon or not. I think it would be cool to have maps of each of the various renditions to show the history or even to pass out old maps and have people go WTF this area has a cave in! i can't go to the next area on the map! CURSE YOU GUY I BOUGHT THIS MAP FROM! CURSE YOU!!!!!
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm all for a map if you can do it.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:24 pm

Speak IG to the member of the map makers guild. Get their help, and anything you figure out IC (if your character wants) could become common knowledge.
Then again, getting their help may not be an easy task. Best of luck to you.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:47 pm

hmm... contradictory thoughs...

Well... step by step, first to conclude my current one, then I will decide.

But yes, also could be great to be allowed to compare the diferent ages of the UD XD

Thanks for imputs

Thank you

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 pm

An Underdark map would be cool but also a hard task. The Underdark consits of layers of caverns:

Upper
Middle
Lower
(The Depths)

But we are changing the UD quite a lot as we go, more areas coming and current ones changing.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:37 pm

ActionReplay wrote:An Underdark map would be cool but also a hard task. The Underdark consits of layers of caverns:

Upper
Middle
Lower
(The Depths)

But we are changing the UD quite a lot as we go, more areas coming and current ones changing.
The type of map could be diferent, like a sort of 3D in 2D, by using colours to indicate the diferent layers of the caves, and/or focussing in the most important cavez systems as a whole, with the interconections ... I have seens some UD maps that seems awesome and that allow to make a good though on how are located the most important points.

But meh... I will need first a previous and exhaustive exploration work... Probably like if I went to map the UD, it will be already changed XD

Thank you

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Yeah, I'd say make a map of it. Frankly, the very fact there's a Map Maker's Guild specifically started in the Underdark says enough that people want to know where they're going, rather than there being a significant amount of fun in the 'mystery' of getting lost. And if people don't want to see it/use it, then they don't have to - it's not really a detriment to anyone if you make it.
I've played on and off in the UD for years, and I -still- get lost!
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Tashalar wrote: I've played on and off in the UD for years, and I -still- get lost!
Makes sense since our UD builders are making changes there each X time :lol:

Thank you

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:35 pm

I believe that maps of the surface and underdark would not be detrimental due to that fact they will provide appreciation for both the extent and detail the dev team has put into it all over the years. Transparency is something I am fond of when it comes to a community coming together on something as otherwise we find ourselves sectioned off into 'Us' and 'The Others' too often.

Leaving resources off of them might be pertinent though due to the fact they change often and that is the only truly abusive fact with mapping in my eyes. As using maps to locate easier resources and then having people OOCly beelining to harvest them from the surface or the UD might make for some awkward explanations.
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:10 pm

Dinosaur Space Program wrote:
Leaving resources off of them might be pertinent though due to the fact they change often and that is the only truly abusive fact with mapping in my eyes. As using maps to locate easier resources and then having people OOCly beelining to harvest them from the surface or the UD might make for some awkward explanations.
An IRL map but also IG & IC... Not at all OOC map.

Not planning to show where the resources are. FOIG

Btw, the surface map can be already seen IG in the Map Room, so what I am doing is create a real physical map in a fashion ancient style that may be seen as if Arelith was a real place somewhere and we kept one of its relics IRL.

Thank you

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:24 am

You know, it would be great to see all kinds of maps, actually. I think that Arelith has always been an interpretive place, and each sees it differently. One just has to detach from "official", and see it with your own eyes. I reverse my advice not to do it. Let maps pour forth unto the lands.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:28 am

Could be a wonderful tool for slavers once the map becomes obsolete when the team updates! :twisted:
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:16 am

Rattus_norvegicus99 wrote:Could be a wonderful tool for slavers once the map becomes obsolete when the team updates! :twisted:
Hey, I first must complete the current one, so by the time I started the exploration of the UD (1) with my own eyes (and character), made the drafts, polished and adjusted issues, started the final draw, inked and coloured...

By that time, the updates may be ancient history yet :lol: so the map could be "fresh" for as long time as Devs brought a new update after the next one.

Btw I have an idea to keep an acurated map from the UD that may require only the replacement of those areas changed... And this is sectioning the UD and creating minor maps for each section, so to see the whole UD map you attach each section with each other as if it was a puzzle... But this is only a though and may require a lot more of work that I am not sure looking for, so the time will say what will I do...

I also want to make a specific map of the Shallow Wood (Arelith Forest) in bigger size and scale as it shows in the current map, but as this one will be really easier to do (as I have the exploration already done and a keen idea about the location of each area) will take me shorter time to do it.

So after this one, I will look forward the UD and see how can I face it.

I am not sure I could do this task with my LG monk, despiting how epic he were...

Thank you

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:55 pm

The Man of the Moon wrote: Note 1. And I will need an epic UD character to move "freely" and "safety" through the Underdark and its settlements, as to RP with other UDers in research of lore that may affect the map.

I am not sure I could do this task with my LG monk, despiting how epic he were...
Possibly you could pay other players in game for protection when mapping the more dangerous areas in the UD. Though a LG monk might have a hard time doing that :) But my point is you don't need to be epic to see it all, mid level at best if you have a paid guard.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:00 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
The Man of the Moon wrote: Note 1. And I will need an epic UD character to move "freely" and "safety" through the Underdark and its settlements, as to RP with other UDers in research of lore that may affect the map.

Possibly you could pay other players in game for protection when mapping the more dangerous areas in the UD. Though a LG monk might have a hard time doing that :) But my point is you don't need to be epic to see it all, mid level at best if you have a paid guard.
Quite right, but I needed seeeveral time in the surface to take notes, draw sketches and drafts(no joke, I used more than 200 100 hours easily in the exploration, and still revisiting certain places even now to match some holes during the current work of drawing)... Would really kick to the Boredom Realm to my scorts... Also, I may need the freedom to move wherever and whenever I wanted anytime with independence enough.

Hire protectors may be extremely tedious... Not to mention that I may need someone to protect me from my protector, if we take note that none UDers is 100% trusted hahaha

Thank you