Why do i have 8-10fps in cordor ALL of the time?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Diilicious

Why do i have 8-10fps in cordor ALL of the time?

Post by Diilicious » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:13 pm

This is unbearable.

I have a computer that for NWN's spec would be considered intergalactic, and im constantly looking at this power point presentation that is the games FPS. even if i zoom in and only have my character on the screen. the FPS doesnt change.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Garveus

Re: Why do i have 8-10fps in cordor ALL of the time?

Post by Garveus » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:54 pm

I'm having the same issue. You need to restart the game entirely to fix it, but as soon as you change locations, the problem is back. It's a weird form of memory leak or whatever, there is no known solution for this. We can only hope they'll patch it soon.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Are you playing in windowed mode? That can lower the FPS depending on your computer.

Also yeah, sometimes you just have to restart. I get into these ruts where the FPS is mega low, a quick restart cleans it up.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:17 am

add to that the constant crashing and it's really making playing a cordor centric character unbearable as all hell, i forgot it was this bad

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:45 am

I've not had any problems in Cordor for a long time. Can you tell me which areas? All of them? (Farmlands, Outskirts, Government and Cultural) or just some?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:05 am

Government, Outskirts, Cultural. I've crashed while loading into each of them multiple times today, and twice just CTD'd out of nowhere in the middle of RP while in the Government.

The rest of the server is fine by comparison.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Garveus

Post by Garveus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:30 am

As for me and Cordor, I've only suffered from the abhorrent FPS issues in the Cultural district, since the introduction of HAKs specifically.

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:45 am

Happening to me too. I think the crashes are caused by a gradual memory leak - try monitoring NWN's memory usage using the task manager as you play to see if it keeps going up. I've had limited success mitigating the impending enhancement by turning off creature and environment shadows. Completely restarting the game every hour or two also helps.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm

I've been having the same problem since the launch of EE, spending 20+ minutes in Cordor grinds my game to a stuttering halt until I restart it. (or until it crashes)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Nitro wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm
I've been having the same problem since the launch of EE, spending 20+ minutes in Cordor grinds my game to a stuttering halt until I restart it. (or until it crashes)
I find this so very frustrating.

Cordor, Shadow Plane, Earthkin Village. The list of areas that have seen either a significant performance hit, or frequent crashes since EE, despite being largely okay beforehand is baffling, really.

I know a lot of players don't have these issues; but many do. I know also that Beamdog are unlikely to take this seriously without a high volume (50+) of crash reports.

Once NWN leaves active development it will be too late so PLEASE report these at

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... -in-nwn-ee

I realised quite some time ago that much as I dont want to lower the quality of areas, I can't really wait for some mythical fix to come.

Thus I've tried to improve some areas already, and have just finished a few hours working on Cordor which I'll send live later.

One advantage of the facelift is that it looks so good I've been able strip away a great deal of 'set dressing' used to improve the vanilla tileset; balconies, plants, dirt, moss and ivy. Cordor used thousands of these. I've also turned off all the chimneys, and reduced the fog clip.

I dont expect this to fix many crashes but should leave us with faster load times and better FPS. Using less fixtures will also help.

Anyway, all of this should go live within the 24 hours, alongside what promises to be largest area update yet of 2019. I hope it helps.

Bibliophile

Post by Bibliophile » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:09 pm

Cordor has been worse on my end since the haks but mostly when its snowing, often when its raining. Issue being cordor is 90% rain so it happens a lot.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:13 pm

Thank you, Irongron. Would you consider disabling the weather in Cordor too? Rain/snow kill my framerate anywhere since EE, but in Cordor it's especially brutal.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:11 pm

i have since downloaded an override that deletes snow entirely. i get the aforementioned problems in cordor too, but snow absolutely kills my fps too. i can't even go to skal without it

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1784294192
Intelligence is too important

good man of god
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by good man of god » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Irongron wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:49 pm
Nitro wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:38 pm
I find this so very frustrating.

Cordor, Shadow Plane, Earthkin Village. The list of areas that have seen either a significant performance hit, or frequent crashes since EE, despite being largely okay beforehand is baffling, really.

I know a lot of players don't have these issues; but many do. I know also that Beamdog are unlikely to take this seriously without a high volume (50+) of crash reports.

Once NWN leaves active development it will be too late so PLEASE report these at

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... -in-nwn-ee

I realised quite some time ago that much as I dont want to lower the quality of areas, I can't really wait for some mythical fix to come.

Thus I've tried to improve some areas already, and have just finished a few hours working on Cordor which I'll send live later.

One advantage of the facelift is that it looks so good I've been able strip away a great deal of 'set dressing' used to improve the vanilla tileset; balconies, plants, dirt, moss and ivy. Cordor used thousands of these. I've also turned off all the chimneys, and reduced the fog clip.

I dont expect this to fix many crashes but should leave us with faster load times and better FPS. Using less fixtures will also help.

Anyway, all of this should go live within the 24 hours, alongside what promises to be largest area update yet of 2019. I hope it helps.
To this end IG, I find that all areas that are 'huge', Cordor areas, Minmir (Hills), Bendir Village, Skal Village, are the areas that crash people.

Just split these maps up into smaller chunks, sure there are more transitions and thus more loading times, but that's still faster than recovering from a hard crash.

Previous:
Tornius Daressin
Matthew Daressin-Gravelle
Asvusha (Blake Lynk)
Sebastian Webster

Current:
Inkwell Thornwhisper

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:52 pm

Conz1996 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm
To this end IG, I find that all areas that are 'huge', Cordor areas, Minmir (Hills), Bendir Village, Skal Village, are the areas that crash people.

Just split these maps up into smaller chunks, sure there are more transitions and thus more loading times, but that's still faster than recovering from a hard crash.
[/quote]

Splitting areas up is far from easy, unfortunately, and would leave many of them extremely ugly. We also have plenty of very large areas (especially in the UD) that don't crash, so I've found it is more than that. Raised terrain is an issue, as are animations. The largest factor, I agree, is area size, but I'm going to do that only as a last resort, if we still see these issues after the renderer; as I said, it is a huge amount of work, especially in areas where I used tilesplicing to build structures.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:23 pm

I've got pages and pages of crash report files. No idea what to do with them. Are we meant to be uploading it somewhere?
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Garveus wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:30 am
As for me and Cordor, I've only suffered from the abhorrent FPS issues in the Cultural district, since the introduction of HAKs specifically.
I'm in the same boat. The whole game becomes choppy and pretty terrible.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Same with me, and mostly when it snows. (as in issues in the culture district only)
Last edited by Xerah on Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:15 pm

I'm running NWN on a quite beefy machine, I'd imagine better than most players', but I've very definitely seen a big drop in FPS in Cordor since the introduction of haks. Cordor was smooth as silk for me before them, but is noticeably choppy now.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 am

its definitely not the HAKs for me, i only lost about 2-4 FPS, with introduction of HAKs, but that was the feather that broke the camels back, its just rediculous really when i go to play other much more graphically intensive games at 40-60, and when i come to play NWN im stuck at sub 20-10 unless im indoors.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:18 am

With the changes to the 3 main Cordor exterior areas I'd be interested to know if this has improved a little. The last, to the Cultural District, went live yesterday.

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:01 am

i got the same problem. NWN EE been a downgrade to me performances wise. i haven't made a character on the surface since i had a agonizing experience at a newly created one in Cordor just after the EE release (it was such a bliss to be done with writs in Cordor OMG) . I also used to browse the shops there often, that kinda stopped with the constant hard crashes in these areas. Often my computer hangs at the loading screen too at 80% loaded and i have to ctrl+alt+delete to restart nwn EE and then have to wait for my cd key not to be in use. -.-'

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:45 pm

It could just be that the comp you are using is trash. While NWN is relatively small and its graphics limited as compared to WOW and other super MMO's it none the less has trouble with many low to medium end machines. You might, when you have the money to spare, want to invest in a better machine and specifically a gaming one if possible. I am using a low end gaming one currently and am having little to no issue with fps no matter how insane the graphics and environmental effects get.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Vrass wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:45 pm
It could just be that the comp you are using is trash. While NWN is relatively small and its graphics limited as compared to WOW and other super MMO's it none the less has trouble with many low to medium end machines. You might, when you have the money to spare, want to invest in a better machine and specifically a gaming one if possible. I am using a low end gaming one currently and am having little to no issue with fps no matter how insane the graphics and environmental effects get.
I haven't been to Cordor since Irongron's latest hak fixes that he mentioned, but I can confirm that, at least as far as the haks from their addition to at least IG's update, it definitely is not a lower end machine issue. I very definitely have a pretty high-end machine, with absolutely zero difficulty playing the overwhelming majority of the most graphically intense games on their highest or near-highest settings. I get much lower FPS playing NWN in areas like Cordor than I do playing, for example, Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Something to try for people having issues: Open your nwn.ini file (..\Documents\NeverwinterNights), find the line MaxTextureMemory= (or add it, if it's not there), and set it to 512, 1024, or 2048, and see what happens.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:48 pm

My computer is definitely not trash. The card I have was top of the line when EE was released. If that's not good enough to run it, then heck, what is? Do I need an SLI setup to run this port of an old game? Has the old meme, "but can it run Crysis?", evolved into "but can it run NWN:EE?"

Anyway, sadly, I'm still getting dreadful framerates in Cordor. It feels a smidge better (i.e. maybe a couple fps?), but still nowhere near acceptable.