Why do i have 8-10fps in cordor ALL of the time?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Why do i have 8-10fps in cordor ALL of the time?

Post by Liareth » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Can confirm, my PC is also the best that money can buy (sans SLI) and I experience terrible performance too. I'm sure some of the people complaining have low spec machines but that's only part of the story.

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:14 pm

I do not know if we have started adding new placable models yet or this is only textures in the HAKs, but having been through a couple of servers who added haks- there are some models that just ruin performance on some cards. It seems to have less to do with how much you spent on your card, but rather that there are just some random bad placables that cause issues on certain cards/setups.

The only one I remember was a ballista that was included in some of the hak packages, but there were others. I think my access to notes on this is long gone.
Vicko Tannel, First Knight of Darrowdeep
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:17 am

It's not even hak textures. It's a geometry problem. I'm not using Arelith's textures; I have them overridden. Though I've also tried the server without the overrides, and that didn't make a difference.

I suspect the issue is the size of the areas themselves. I'm just spitballing here, but it kind of feels like EE isn't culling distant objects properly.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:19 am

Beamdog messed up

The second word above should begin with F and rhyme with trucked.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:21 pm

After spending some time in Cordor yesterday, the most recent hak updates seem to either have fixed this, or at least improved this, for me.

Using the override version of the primary hak in question previously, Bendir Dale was an absolute slideshow for me. I'll try to get to Bendir Dale one of these days and report back as to how it performs vs. how it performed before haks.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:08 am

Dude. Break up the area's. Who cares if they'll look bad. Functionality > Prettiness. If we valued the latter no one would be playin NWN

please please

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:17 am

I have an ancient laptop, and a new, low-end gaming laptop. I have none of these problems on either machine. Sure this isn't a problem related to certain machines and/or builds?

https://www.pcgamer.com/10-years-later- ... un-crysis/
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:38 pm

According to the Beamdog blog, we'll have to be just a little more patient before the game becomes a lot more stable:
  • The next patch for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is not quite ready. As we mentioned in December, once we started on the renderer and 64-bit integration in earnest, that became our main focus. We have a team dedicated to the renderer, and the 64-bit merge has happened, but we’ve got a road ahead of us before we’re going to be able to put a bow on it and make it public, as the console branch requires us to spend time adding controller support, to spend time cleaning up some long-overdue UI problems, and other changes that will have far-reaching benefits in the long run.
  • We don’t have a full feature list we can share with players yet, but the new renderer for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition is very robust, and gives us, potentially, access to all the bells and whistles one looks for in a modern game. Luke thinks players and modders will be pleasantly surprised by its capabilities.
Last edited by MissEvelyn on Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 am

It is certainly frustrating. I've been able to play without any interruptions in the underdark, but the moment I go wandering Cordor for parcel delivery, I crash frequently and violently.

Infinite Solutions

Post by Infinite Solutions » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:08 am

Vrass wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:45 pm
It could just be that the comp you are using is trash. While NWN is relatively small and its graphics limited as compared to WOW and other super MMO's it none the less has trouble with many low to medium end machines. You might, when you have the money to spare, want to invest in a better machine and specifically a gaming one if possible. I am using a low end gaming one currently and am having little to no issue with fps no matter how insane the graphics and environmental effects get.
I'm on a machine I use for 4K After Effects projects and editing and color correcting 2K 16mm film transfers in Premiere. Neither ever has a hiccup. I've played Elder Scrolls Online and various versions of NWN on this thing, not to mention Witcher 3 and a very mod-laden Skyrim, and nothing gives me the lag I get when getting off the boat in Brog or on Harpy's Rock in Sencliff.

No $20 game that gives a facelift to an early 2000s RPG should require spending a thousand dollars plus on a dedicated gaming PC. Neither should any game where the models are as simple and ugly as NWN. Telling people their perfectly fine computers are trash is just bad advice delivered with needless arrogance and confrontation.

The problem is something else and probably on Beamdog's end.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 am

How was i arrogant or confrontational? It was one of the many potential causes that might have been responsible, all i did was voice it as a possibility. I cant very well know what a given person's comp is without actually seeing its specs. And i am having my own problems with other issues with the game so i'm still in the same boat with everyone else in that regard. And i certainly hope everything is on Beam-Dogs end as i have zero ability with solving such issues.
Last edited by Vrass on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:01 am

I think it's because you assumed and based your response on false presumptions. Could having a trash computer effect FPS in Cordor? Nah. This game is ancient and EE didn't really do anything to merit an increase in computing power.