What do I do now??

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

MJmalevolent

What do I do now??

Post by MJmalevolent » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:28 am

Hello Friends!
I've been playing on this server here for about a year now on and off, and I must say it is fantastic! Props to everyone involved with making it happen, my $1 a month doesn't begin to compensate.

I'm in a slump though! I've noticed that the more I level, the harder it seems to get to meet characters and get on adventures and do some good ol RP. Most of my past companions have either all moved on to new characters or new games (RIP Roars, the half-orc who only loved), and it's hard to get things happening in the higher level areas it seems.

What should I do to break outa this slow patch? Are there groups I should join? Hot spots to hang around for that sweet sweet RP?

Y'all are great, by the way, haven't had a bad experience yet.
MJmalevolent: Player of Cel Coamenel and Wren Redbolt.

Drak
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: What do I do now??

Post by Drak » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:33 am

Hello there,

In my experience on this server, having come from MMO's, my initial intention was to build the strongest characters I could think of and grind all the things. However, the more I play here, the more I realize that while thats fun, I can get that anywhere. Its the people and the community that keep me here.

That being said, if you are a person looking to RP, Cordor is pretty heavily populated, mostly in front of or inside the Nomad, or in the town square. If you are looking to get into political things, thats when a lot more RP opens up.

Bendir is also pretty lively, but I think a lot of the hin that play are opposite the US, so they are on later in the night. But we have a fairly large group of us.

The pirate population seems to have dwindled, but they are looking to change quite a bit of things on the island that I don't wanna ruin here, but that might be fun RP to get involved in.

Guldorand also has a large population of humans (yuck!). They congregate a lot in front of the logjam.

Well, thats my experience mostly. As for writs, the change to level cap makes it very difficult at times to find people within a 2 level range of it, so take advantage of them when you find people. If you are in the late teens, check around Sibayad. The orclands are pretty popular and there are a few writs for the crypts there as well as the orclands. Lots of people go there to grind, so you might be lucky enough to find one or two people, questionable reputation or not. :P

I hope this helps!

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:58 am

Joining factions is definitely a big help to break out of such a slump, especially a settlement militia. Joining a faction with ship access is also a great idea to get some great adventure rp in, such as the Shields of Guldorand or the Cordor navy. Unless your character has qualms against it for some reason, I recommend joining a militia like the Cordor Guards/Navy, the Shields of Guldorand, the Hawk'in, etc. Joining a large settlement connected faction quickly gives you many new adventuring buddies and your character is guaranteed to get some work. You can also decide to start your own faction if you think you have the mind for it. With a good idea and some hard work you would definitely pull yourself out of a slump.

Oh the year was 1778...

Lyric Moonwhisper

Post by Lyric Moonwhisper » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 am

Hey Cel!!! Lyric is still around and kicking in Cordor, and Shay is too. Great suggestions from other people so far and glad to see you are still around :)

MJmalevolent

Post by MJmalevolent » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:51 am

LYRIC! Oh my god you're alive. Good to hear, I hope to see you around too!

Thanks for the suggestions so far y'all

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:44 am

I mean if you are above writ range, you can always spin your story with getting enslaved and thrown into the Underdark. Since Andunor is the only real city, there is constant trafic around the central Hub and no shortage of adventure to be had. You can always just take the prisoners collar, which is easier to remove if you deem the roleplay not to be of your liking and make your daring escape to the sunblessed lands.

For the surface i have no advise to give. I primarily play in the light-less lands below.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:18 pm

Introduce yourself to people. Even if they do not initially appear interesting to you.

The more characters that know yours, the greater your chances of being embroiled in something much bigger. I've never understood the focus on combat and grinding, the strongest aspect of a Persistent World is the social and political dynamic. To be included in that, you need to network.

Now "network" is a really business-y sounding term, and there's probably a better word for it in this context, but it basically refers to how many characters recognise yours. It's also really forgiving on Arelith, since everybody is logged in to be social. You want to be grinding reputation with the other characters on the server, not just experience and gold. And the first step is telling them your name.

Befriend a Shield, ask them to introduce you to the other Shields. Do the same with the Cordor Guard. Make sure the people in the player governments have met your character at least once. Leave letters of introduction on the relevant boards. Do favours for people, ask them for favours in return. This way when the RP wind picks up, you're almost guaranteed to get swept up in it. Focus on growing the number of people that have met your character before.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:07 pm

^

Meet people. Constantly meet people. Always be meeting people. Make up excuses to meet people.

Roleplay is really all about relationships, and so you want to have as many as you possibly can.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Rhavin76

Post by Rhavin76 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:56 am

You could get out of the slump by:

a) shelve the character for a while until you figure where to go from here. Start an alt and try something different, change of scenery, explore a concept, keep the game fresh again.

b) delevel the character and 'grow up' again with the new generation, making new friends and RP moments all over again while maintaining your already build up previous reputation and network. Try something different with the build this time around, change a feat or some, change a skill, change a multiclass choice, keep the game fresh again.

c) Become an officer type in a settlement/faction militia, all the new members will come to you , let them accompany you even if the level difference is large. hand out tasks, create rp events for others, share your knowledge. This is a great way to easily meet many new characters every month and some will positively surprise you. The game keeps you fresh

d) set a very long term goal that may take years to complete, requiring many changes to where your character is located on the server and the people he hangs out with/meets there, or require something really bad happening to your character and struggle uphill to get back to where you started, or require a radical change to your reputation and how others view you. The game keeps you fresh.

Hotspots for sweet RP:
depending on your flavour. Anudor/ Cordor/ Guldorand

Groups to join:
depending on your flavour. Shields/ Banites/ Sencliff/ Heartwood/ Hawk'in/ Kuldarn/ Cordor Guard/ Darrowdeep/ Sharrans/ Sentinels etc etc

Hope this helps.

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:46 am

There are great advice here...

I too have been in Arelith for about a year and a half now. Ive had a slump (several actually), but I found I got over it by meeting others. If a settlement or a fa tion doesnt seem to be a fit, dont feelsruck to it. Explore, or make a new toon to start over elsewhere.

Also, meeting new PCs always revitalizes your character's life. Its easy to meet new characters by standing around in front of a town gate or a town's message board or that well in Bendir.... :)

I also found that there is a quick turnover of PCs... I used to think this as a negative, but I found I can quickly get out of a slump by making new characters too.

I hope it gets better and you get out of that slump.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Make a pirate. 😘
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Arien here, also from the Q4 2018 Skaljard crew!

I joined the Shields and that did it for me. Highly reccomend, but Im sure the other factions are fun too!

MJmalevolent

Post by MJmalevolent » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 am

Aw man! I miss the old skaljard crew so much! (RIP Skarvald, the bear who only loved) Good to hear some of us are stick kicking it in arelith.

Thanks for all the great advice y'all! I had been traveling the forums looking for these sorts of informations, but hadn't found anything of substance. I hope this can be a help for lots of us.