umber hulk (huge)

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tarkus the dog

Re: umber hulk (huge)

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:45 pm

The boss follows you to your grave. I haven't seen him touch the stingers or any other mobs.

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Maybe it was a fluke. :?:
Vicko Tannel, First Knight of Darrowdeep
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Nikko wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:40 pm
Maybe it was a fluke. :?:
I suspect you engaged him near other stingers, and he hit them with his confusion cone attack, triggering them to aggro him, and him respond in kind.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mythic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 pm

I've ran into this boss unintentionally and intentionally. Its possible to take down around the stinger level range. But there really should be some warning leading up to it.

And maybe make its treasure a little better to compensate for its face-smashing capabilities, so its a worthwhile mid-level superboss type thing.
Howling around all year long

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 am

Spyre wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm
n00bdragon wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm
Given that death means nothing nowadays I don't think anyone has a right to be upset getting killed in the stinger caves because they didn't know about the hideous monster waiting to gently caress them behind that door. You get killed, you learn, you don't do it again. Given that the UD is chock a block with entire dungeons and entire writs that are best avoided because the risk/reward is so lopsided I'd say this particular boss is more of a quaint relic and interesting extra than genuine problem.

I've even killed it a couple of times with a lowbie party. It's fun.
Given that breaking the rules means nothing nowadays I don't think anyone has a right to be upset about dying in PvP because they didn't know about logging during time-stop move. You get killed, you learn, you don't do it again. Given that the server is chock a block with paladins, wild mages and entire monk orders that are best avoided because the risk/reward is so lopsided I'd say this particular PvP move is more of a quaint relic and interesting extra than a genuine problem.

I've even killed a few people by logging out during time-stop. It's fun.
Rule breaks certainly matter. And, the DM team does enforce the rules.

Understand that saying that breaching the rules is fine is not an acceptable statement. Any rule breaches we are made aware of and can confirm through investigation will be dealt with according to our server rules.

I would advise ceasing your poor forum behaviour. The forums are not a right that we have to extend to everyone. We can, and will, strip access when we need to from people that are offering non-constructive feedback and otherwise trolling the community. And, owning up to rule breaks does not bode well for you as well.

As for the post on death. Death has meaning. If you are not acknowledging death and taking it seriously, it will be reflected in your RPR and dealt with by the DM team.

Let us keep on topic, otherwise I will lock this thread.
In fairness, Spyre, Tarkus's post here is sarcastic. Highlighting the shortcomings of someone's argument by applying the same techniques to something else isn't exactly criminal, nor is it even close to the worst behaviour that occurs on this forum. Let's not pretend that Tarkus was actually condoning rules breaches. We both know that isn't the case.

On topic...

The umber hulk is daft. Nothing should be in the game exclusively to kill new players... and there are several reasons for this.

Longstanding players have considerable advantages in levelling speed and general game knowledge as it stands, and this has a definite impact on the roleplay influence that characters can exert. We can trick ourselves into saying "oh well I survived not knowing anything and look at me now all grown up", but this often neglects to acknowledge the advice we were given by older abd more established players, serves to reinforce current power relations, create ooc antagonism (newbs-versus-established-players), and inhibits nurturing newly arrived roleplayers in the manner most of us benefitted from on our arrival.

(Funnily enough it was Tarkus who provided me with some of that new-player guidance when I arrived.)

If these "surprise!" disproportionate difficulty creatures are to exist, they should be in epic or late epic content. Otherwise content should be consistent and appropriate for the level for which it is intended. Relics like this are not fun, but are instead just frustrating.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:21 am

Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 am
If these "surprise!" disproportionate difficulty creatures are to exist, they should be in epic or late epic content. Otherwise content should be consistent and appropriate for the level for which it is intended. Relics like this are not fun, but are instead just frustrating.
I came here to say this. Extra bosses exist in many games and can be fun challenges to face, but they should be a fun challenge that you can find if you want to, not something that just appears with no rhyme or reason other than to kill you while you are doing some other task. Hidden bosses are nice easter eggs, surprise bosses just make players hate the game.

Oh the year was 1778...

TheSandiestcomet

Post by TheSandiestcomet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am

o7

He's gone.

Replaced by two giant scorpions.
Elinoa - Surface

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 pm

TheSandiestcomet wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am
o7

He's gone.

YES!!!
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:56 am
In fairness, Spyre, Tarkus's post here is sarcastic. Highlighting the shortcomings of someone's argument by applying the same techniques to something else isn't exactly criminal, nor is it even close to the worst behaviour that occurs on this forum. Let's not pretend that Tarkus was actually condoning rules breaches. We both know that isn't the case.
for real

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:47 pm

TheSandiestcomet wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:08 am
o7

He's gone.

Awe! Someone should put up a few fixtures to commemorate him. Some gravestones for those lost. Maybe a forge and an alter or two to Umbrelee and Correlon or some such gods :D : D ; )

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:16 pm

As long as we keep the altars called "Fixture: Altar" and put them at a weird angle just kind of in the middle of the room, I'm for it.