Memelord

Re: umber hulk (huge)

Post by Memelord » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Welcome to the club, Nik.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:37 am

you don't get it, it's "emergent storytelling"

you got a lot of RP from hitting that respawn button on the no warning spawn that confuses you as soon as you show up with traps in front that slow you so you can't get away.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:28 am

That's why you should always have the most powerful summon you can get... let it fight the boss while you sit there and watch the show.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:24 am

It'll last all of 5 seconds. That hulk is a normal spawn in the lowerdark, a zone for epics.

Its existance where it is, with no warning, is a cruel joke on players who don't know better.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:20 am

Yeah im pretty sure my ancient air elemental could take it... it can tank most devils in hell and used to be able to tank the styx dragon amusingly enough.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:53 pm

Memelord wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:02 pm
Welcome to the club, Nik.
i know right? to think 2 400 hp cubes and a grey render + 2 mages spamming mestils would've taken it out

shame on me

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:38 am

gooey oozes? amateur

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:58 pm

i use the umber hulk (huge) spawn reskinned in epic-level quests

but it's also found in a low- to mid-level area...

On a more constructive note, I actually think the Stinger "Umber Hulk (Huge)" might have different stats from the Lowerdark one. Give me a minute to test, I'll edit here with the truth and then some VERY LOUD SUGGESTIONS for putting it on par with the rest of its dungeon.

edit: it won't spawn for me, please hold
Be kind.

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:42 pm

OKAY.

So we have two types of Umber Hulk (Huge) and one Umber Hulk (Massive).

Umber Hulk (Massive) is our buddy in the Underdark. I snatched the boss version of Umber Hulk (Huge) as well as the other boss from the area, the Stinger Lord Thrall, and lined them up for comparison.

The umber hulk (huge) boss has 3 attacks, 2 of which are reasonable for BIG BOSS BUGTHING; the third is abruptly twice the damage of the first two. While the "mediocre" (see: average for the average player) AB on the third attack makes it less likely for this to hit, the slew of critical hit/weapon feats for its creature weapon make this guy terrifying in comparison to the rest of the spawns in this dungeon. Oh, and it regenerates.

The actual boss of the area has half of its HP, no regenerate, less AC, less AB and about a sixth of its damage overall.

conclusion: while the umber hulk boss in this area is an "optional boss", he is ultimately high risk no reward: the time it takes to kill him is time that could've been taken cutting through 2-3 more mobs without going out of your way to smoke him out. The boss could probably be removed entirely, or relocated to a different dungeon (new umber hulk/beetle dungeon thanks).

edit: digging deeper into things like the creature weapon and the creature hide used by this unit, it looks like it's also using the enhanced version of the umber hulk skin and resistances as opposed to the low-level version of the skin. So it has a lot of extra resistances and immunities as opposed to other things in the area. Weird.
Be kind.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:46 pm

DM Sollers wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:42 pm
high risk no reward
that's my new motto.

thank you DM sollers!

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:53 pm

"high risk no reward" is arelith's unofficial slogan from now on.
Be kind.

DM Sollers

Post by DM Sollers » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:01 pm

He lasted two rounds.
Be kind.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 pm

That boss is a joke that's been around for ages, a remnant from the old UD days. Sole purpose is to kill new players. Kinda like having it still be around but we could spice up the area a bit to give players a warning and add some suitable reward for beating it.

EDIT: Had a look at the areas and dungeon. It should be remade altogether, its a very old dungeon and could use a facelift.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:29 am

ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 pm
That boss is a joke that's been around for ages, a remnant from the old UD days. Sole purpose is to kill new players. Kinda like having it still be around but we could spice up the area a bit to give players a warning and add some suitable reward for beating it.

EDIT: Had a look at the areas and dungeon. It should be remade altogether, its a very old dungeon and could use a facelift.
Any boss whose sole purpose is to "kill new players" is explicitly NPE content for the intention of being so and should be culled from the game immediately.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:46 pm

...bit melodramatic

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 am

I feel very strongly about bad game and system design especially when it's meant to punish low info or new players.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:43 pm

I like it I remember my cleric running for it's life the first time I opened that door.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:54 pm

um you dont have to open that door, if i recall correctly and if you do you get the wierd msg of a feeling something unless thats gone now
Yes I can sign

n00bdragon

Post by n00bdragon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm

Given that death means nothing nowadays I don't think anyone has a right to be upset getting killed in the stinger caves because they didn't know about the hideous monster waiting to gently caress them behind that door. You get killed, you learn, you don't do it again. Given that the UD is chock a block with entire dungeons and entire writs that are best avoided because the risk/reward is so lopsided I'd say this particular boss is more of a quaint relic and interesting extra than genuine problem.

I've even killed it a couple of times with a lowbie party. It's fun.
Chasugana: [Xanalress]: *she takes a sip, thinking it over for a time and staring at the wall* Do you think I am honest?
Rauvlin Xun'viir: [Xanalress]: *she chuckles* Chasu, thou art an assassin, a spy, and a drow.

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 pm

He's hostile to the stringers so if you can stay out of range he'll tank the whole writ for you. Challenge=opportunity
Vicko Tannel, First Knight of Darrowdeep
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm

n00bdragon wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm
Given that death means nothing nowadays I don't think anyone has a right to be upset getting killed in the stinger caves because they didn't know about the hideous monster waiting to gently caress them behind that door. You get killed, you learn, you don't do it again. Given that the UD is chock a block with entire dungeons and entire writs that are best avoided because the risk/reward is so lopsided I'd say this particular boss is more of a quaint relic and interesting extra than genuine problem.

Given that breaking the rules means nothing nowadays I don't think anyone has a right to be upset about dying in PvP because they didn't know about logging during time-stop move. You get killed, you learn, you don't do it again. Given that the server is chock a block with paladins, wild mages and entire monk orders that are best avoided because the risk/reward is so lopsided I'd say this particular PvP move is more of a quaint relic and interesting extra than a genuine problem.

I've even killed a few people by logging out during time-stop. It's fun.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:56 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:19 pm
n00bdragon wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:48 pm

Given that breaking the rules means nothing nowadays I don't think anyone has a right to be upset about dying in PvP because they didn't know about logging during time-stop move. You get killed, you learn, you don't do it again. Given that the server is chock a block with paladins, wild mages and entire monk orders that are best avoided because the risk/reward is so lopsided I'd say this particular PvP move is more of a quaint relic and interesting extra than a genuine problem.

I've even killed a few people by logging out during time-stop. It's fun.
Rule breaks certainly matter. And, the DM team does enforce the rules.

Understand that saying that breaching the rules is fine is not an acceptable statement. Any rule breaches we are made aware of and can confirm through investigation will be dealt with according to our server rules.

I would advise ceasing your poor forum behaviour. The forums are not a right that we have to extend to everyone. We can, and will, strip access when we need to from people that are offering non-constructive feedback and otherwise trolling the community. And, owning up to rule breaks does not bode well for you as well.

As for the post on death. Death has meaning. If you are not acknowledging death and taking it seriously, it will be reflected in your RPR and dealt with by the DM team.

Let us keep on topic, otherwise I will lock this thread.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Nikko wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 pm
He's hostile to the stringers so if you can stay out of range he'll tank the whole writ for you. Challenge=opportunity
That is new. I suggested that about a month ago on the last version of this thread. Before he would only hostile PC's and he had true sight so he became this umberhulk guided missile. I was with one party and we ran and he followed us to the portal. I left party and led him off hoping the rest could leave combat to use the portal. It was comical.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Is this still about the Umber Hulk (huge)?