Neverwinter Nights EE coming to consoles

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Vincent

Re: Neverwinter Nights EE coming to consoles

Post by Vincent » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 am
Sure, this is true. But actually having a company that works on the game and is going to update it LIKE THIS UPDATE is a great boon. I'm also in support of consoles getting the game because it means I can soon play with a friend who has a switch but isn't much of a computer gamer.

I am optimistic for Beamdog to continue to improve the game and encourage people to send their thoughts directly to them as much as they can
Well, it's great you'll get to play with your friend, but to what extent? Are they going to be playing with a keyboard? Otherwise their experience is going to be very limited, and very lacklustre—unless you mean playing servers other than Arelith, over voice chat or something. Arelith is highly dependent on the ability to type, as are ninety percent of servers on NWN. Your optimism would infer updates like this are a regular thing, but what have we had since launch over a year ago? Hotfixes for bugs Beamdog created are all that come to mind (remember the disappearing shoulderpads glitch?). There were a few random changes here and there, like transitions were briefly made a bright cyan color for some reason. It's like a toddler in a sandbox, if the sandbox were NWN's hard code.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:41 pm

Vincent wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:57 pm
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:20 am
Sure, this is true. But actually having a company that works on the game and is going to update it LIKE THIS UPDATE is a great boon. I'm also in support of consoles getting the game because it means I can soon play with a friend who has a switch but isn't much of a computer gamer.

I am optimistic for Beamdog to continue to improve the game and encourage people to send their thoughts directly to them as much as they can
Well, it's great you'll get to play with your friend, but to what extent? Are they going to be playing with a keyboard? Otherwise their experience is going to be very limited, and very lacklustre—unless you mean playing servers other than Arelith, over voice chat or something. Arelith is highly dependent on the ability to type, as are ninety percent of servers on NWN. Your optimism would infer updates like this are a regular thing, but what have we had since launch over a year ago? Hotfixes for bugs Beamdog created are all that come to mind (remember the disappearing shoulderpads glitch?). There were a few random changes here and there, like transitions were briefly made a bright cyan color for some reason. It's like a toddler in a sandbox, if the sandbox were NWN's hard code.
keyboards with consoles have been a thing for quite some time now, so dont knock console players just yet. Sure there are still bugs to fix, some will be fixed with the new renderer, but yet again, 03-04 game had tons of bugs and glitches, a shame so few remember that and only want to recall how perfect 1.69 was, which it wasnt. It was duct taped, electrical taped, spliced, diced, pvc piped, and jury rigged to work on any machine past windows circa 2004.

So lets give the console players the benefit of the doubt, until they prove they cannot type (which I highly doubt), considering they are the huge generation that types papers on a computer, so a plug in keyboard will be simple for them.
Yes I can sign

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm

I am just going to point out, again: anyone with a PS4 or XBox One can plug in any USB keyboard and mouse. Anyone who buys NWN, finds the multiplayer section, logs in, creates a character, navigates the world of Arelith a bit and decide to stay is going to plug a keyboard in. If they don't have one lying around they can buy one new for as little as $5.

Slam Beamdog all you want, you are entitled to your opinion, saying console players won't have keyboards is intentional misinformation. Stop spreading it.
Last edited by Sea Shanties on Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Sea Shanties wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm
I am just going to point out, again: anyone with a PS4 or XBox One can plug in any USB keyboard and mouse. Anyone who is interested enough in Arelith to buy NWN, find the multiplayer section, log in, create a character, navigate the world a bit and decide to stay is going to plug a keyboard in. If they don't have one lying around they can buy one new for as little as $5.

Slam Beamdog all you want, you are entitled to your opinion, but this notion that keyboards don't work on consoles is misinformation. Stop spreading it.

There isn't going to be an invasion of unwashed console zombies who don't RP, this server has nothing to offer someone like that. And remember Arelith is not NWN, there is a single player game, thousands of modules and even action-based servers that would appeal to someone who isn't in it for our style of writing-based RP.
There's also controllers like this nowadays:

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Vincent wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:42 am
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:07 pm
Not really a scam when the game would have stopped working as soon as another edition of windows was released, from how other games I have of that time period are behaving.

Of course they're doing it for money, it's a game company and they're not a nonprofit. More money = moreally pay for them to actually work on the game, one that isn't filled with microtransactions and won't sustain much profit in a few years like other MMO style games will
The 1.69 client still runs better for myself and many others. I assure you, hardware isn't the issue. There's a nice QoL change with EE where you can enjoy a proper windowed mode (it can be very buggy from system to system on 1.69), and that's about all the praise I have for it. You may not be aware but people are playing games as old as thirty years on their modern systems, often all that's required are a few mods, or some form of emulation, which, unlike NWN: EE, does not cost an additional $20. The practice of remastering games with quite literally zero noteworthy improvements (I, along with many others, consider EE to be a downgrade due to the memory leak issues that simply were not present, or at least as prevalent before) is just as duplicitous a practice as aggressive monetization via microtransactions. You don't see anyone defending the mistreatment of animals because hey, at least they're not mistreating human beings instead.

Had this remaster been an 'as is' reproduction you wouldn't even see these types of complaints. It's the fact they made the game worse. Would NWN just with an 'Enhanced Edition' subtitle tacked on have been worth $20? No, of course not, but even that, as pathetic a product as it would have been, would have been superior to this literal downgrade. It's extremely poor.

You know what Vincent instead of crying about everything, why dont you just go find a server that is still running 1.69 and you can play to your hearts content with your many others, until at the end of the year the game stops even with the mods and workarounds because there is zero support anymore. Memory leak issues were prevalent in 1.69but our dev teams were able to create a work around because 1.69 was around for over a decade for tweaks and zigs and bypasses.

I know your a damn good rper, but your constant pessimist attitude and scammed mindset for 20 dollars is ridiculous.
Scams and sabotage are not done for a frozen pizza price.

The worse thing is , its been stated multiple times that 90% of the initial enhancements are not seen by players, as they are for the devs and modders, but of course you forgot that as well.
Yes I can sign

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:54 pm
You know what Vincent instead of crying about everything, why dont you just go find a server that is still running 1.69 and you can play to your hearts content with your many others, until at the end of the year the game stops even with the mods and workarounds because there is zero support anymore. Memory leak issues were prevalent in 1.69but our dev teams were able to create a work around because 1.69 was around for over a decade for tweaks and zigs and bypasses.

I know your a damn good rper, but your constant pessimist attitude and scammed mindset for 20 dollars is ridiculous.
Scams and sabotage are not done for a frozen pizza price.

The worse thing is , its been stated multiple times that 90% of the initial enhancements are not seen by players, as they are for the devs and modders, but of course you forgot that as well.
What a weird post. Why are you so offended that I am personally not content with what I paid for? Sure, $20 isn't a lot, but you don't see me burning $5 notes for the fun of it.

I happen to be a half-okay programmer and I actually have my own server I host on occasion. It's not nearly as big as Arelith, nor as good, I am perfectly willing to confess, but the point here is that I have been making modules for Neverwinter Nights near since the game's release. To that end, I am rather baffled as to what incredible developments you're going on about that have been made for builders, being one myself. Yes, I realize there are now convenient resizing features (that were only made easily accessed and utilized by Virusman, a long time NWN modder, who, as far as I am aware, is not in any way officialy affiliated with Beamdog—that may have changed, but who knows), and the ability to dye individual pieces of clothing was added. Not quite the grand overhaul for builders you'd expect from how you're describing it, particularly with how EE resulted in the disabling of NWNX, which meant that Arelith was actually devoid of a major feature for the best part of a year, that being disguise. We have Silvard to thank for that coming back, not Beamdog. They brought the server browser back, I guess? Though only in an official capacity, NWNScry was already performing the exact same function pre-EE. They also broke the server browser, as now the history and favorite tabs no longer work. They did before, in case you didn't know.

Thank you for the compliment? I don't know if this post stems from some sort of grudge with me rather than the factual basis of what I'm saying, judging by how you seem to know me. If people have the right to be "pessimistic" as you put it about Epic Games exclusivity, about triple A games that receive significant downgrades after their trailers are made, about microtransactions where you must pay for character and weapon skins in other games, then I'd say I have the right to belittle a monetized downgrade. I am not deriding, criticizing or in any way upset that Arelith transitioned to EE from 1.69. I wholly, utterly understand the transition and would have made the same decision in Irongron's position. I have absolutely no beef with Arelith's developers whatsoever. I am solely conflicted with this bizarre re-release of an already functional game that has come with glitches and malfunctions I and no one I ask seem to remember being present in the original client. What about this is so offensive? I have NWN and Arelith's best interests at heart, unlike some, being that this is my favorite game ever made, even having played many masterpieces over the years. Do I believe it is an absolute, complete impossibility that Beamdog will introduce some desirable features down the line, such as the new renderer? No, of course not. I don't live in a fantasy world where everything is black and white. However, I reserve the right to be discontent with the gruel-like outing we have been provided with thus far, filled with issues I was reporting as early as EE's beta yet have gone unresolved.

And yeah, I never claimed 1.69 was flawless. Wouldn't it be great if EE actually fixed the the issues people had with it, rather than intensifying them? Or I guess I should just be content, because we have... I really don't know how to end this sentence because I can't think of anything worthwhile EE has added to the game other than the tiny additions I mentioned above. Those sickly Instagram-style filters? Lol, now I'd hope even you can refrain from defending those.

I guess I can only apologize that I'd like better for NWN's community which both you and I are a part of? :?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Have no grudge against you whatsoever, nor was that the reason for my post. I guess its called be tired of seeing the dead horse (EE and Beamdog) getting beaten on for the same complaints over and over and over.

it would be great if people would give Beamdog the same chances Bioware had with what, a 50 million dollar budget, while they have 1/10th the resources if that.

Am I happy with the way things have been drawn out and seem in limbo, no of course not, and i have challenged on Beamdogs forums why the lack of transparency or even standing up to defend themselves, while getting potshotted every day.

But, repeating how unhappy you are, and why havent they fixed the little things, and the big things, but have rolled out new platforms and a new game, isnt going to fix anything.
It does though cause frustration, and antagonistic attitudes, of which part of my post included, of which I apologize for now that I look at it more.

Have you looked at the lists of things people have found wrong on the trello pages. It takes weeks to sort through actual bugs, and those that are simple clientside computer issues.

We have the wonderful be nice rule ig, maybe we should apply that to a small company working with limited resources while trying to make our sandbox a better place. I would much rather the next set of updates be tested and work as planned, than to have constant updates that have to be reexamined to be fixed.

Again I never should have put the spotlight on you, but Im simply tired for the Horse.
Yes I can sign

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:55 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 pm
Have no grudge against you whatsoever, nor was that the reason for my post. I guess its called be tired of seeing the dead horse (EE and Beamdog) getting beaten on for the same complaints over and over and over.

it would be great if people would give Beamdog the same chances Bioware had with what, a 50 million dollar budget, while they have 1/10th the resources if that.

Am I happy with the way things have been drawn out and seem in limbo, no of course not, and i have challenged on Beamdogs forums why the lack of transparency or even standing up to defend themselves, while getting potshotted every day.

But, repeating how unhappy you are, and why havent they fixed the little things, and the big things, but have rolled out new platforms and a new game, isnt going to fix anything.
It does though cause frustration, and antagonistic attitudes, of which part of my post included, of which I apologize for now that I look at it more.

Have you looked at the lists of things people have found wrong on the trello pages. It takes weeks to sort through actual bugs, and those that are simple clientside computer issues.

We have the wonderful be nice rule ig, maybe we should apply that to a small company working with limited resources while trying to make our sandbox a better place. I would much rather the next set of updates be tested and work as planned, than to have constant updates that have to be reexamined to be fixed.

Again I never should have put the spotlight on you, but Im simply tired for the Horse.
I very much respect your point of view and would love nothing more than to defend small developers, which I often do (and am one myself). I just simply can't change the fact I've been charged for what feels like air, or less than that, given the resurfacing and prevalence of glitches, new and old. It is very painful to transition to something you are told is new and better and thus deserving of payment only to find the game in a worse state than what you were familiar with. I don't remember NWN's original price when it was first released, I assume it was in the $40-60 range—the issue here is have Beamdog justified us spending a half, or a third of the original asking price? I certainly do not think so, and I can be quoted as saying pre-release "if it's just NWN how it is currently with a better windowed mode, I'll be satisfied." Which it is—but it's also NWN with a host of new issues plaguing it. Considering how humble my expectations were, that should speak for how severely underwhelming this re-release has been.

Think of the small-time developers creating entire games from scratch, then selling their games for half EE's price. Those are the developers I'd defend, but this to me is like buying a new mouse having been promised it'll work better than my current device, only to find it has poor tracking and a double-click issue my previous mouse didn't have. I don't see much worth sticking up for. And... I've been pretty patient, I feel. It's been over a year, and the game was never stated to be in Early Acccess, meaning we had every reason to suspect the game would just be a more polished NWN at launch. Instead it's this, a year post-release.