Boss Championship Tournament?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mythic

Boss Championship Tournament?

Post by Mythic » Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 pm

So most of us on the server know the dungeon bosses, We've all had our butts kicked at one time or another, or know exactly what skills and spells they are packing, and counter them accordingly

But a thought popped into my head, A thought that another wonderful game does, and I think would be both great, and an interesting way to interact with the community as a whole And that is

A Boss-Fight Tournament, Not players vs Bosses, But Bosses vs Bosses

Watch Abazuur and Itchythiss Duke it out to see wether Red wins over White

How Strong /is/ the Egg Spider in the Underdark

If they were filmed, and put up onto the forums, or on the twitter page after each fight? (Best of 3?) And the Winner of that round gets like, an extra bit of loot that drops for a week for us players? I think that'd be very cool.

And the losers? Well if they were matched up against something meant to be equal in strength, or underperform hard, Then the balancing team could adjust accordingly and do a rematch somewhere down the line right?

Just food for thought, But I'll end this post with a Video of a boss-brawl that Path-Of-Exile did, which sort of inspired this post!

https://youtu.be/UJ0D2tIV1tw
Howling around all year long

RandomX

Re: Boss Championship Tournament?

Post by RandomX » Mon May 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Okay I will bite... Which said videos and player accounts being linked to the forum it would be cool to bet on the bosses AKA "500GP on Abazuur - PCName"

I think that would add more player interaction rather than just having a bunch of boss fights in the forums

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon May 13, 2019 1:11 pm

This might be interesting as an event, come to think on it. Hrumm...
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 pm

I'm pretty sure Paush will end up sweeping the tournament with very little effort. Unless the bosses don't have the AI to deal with phylacteries, in which case all of the phylactery-based bosses will end up fighting each other forever.

Mythic

Post by Mythic » Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I'd say disable the phylacteries, and have Paush at the very top, like Shao-Khan from the original Mortal Kombat, That'd make it an even field?

Maybe have tiers, so epic bosses vs epic bosses, Mid-tiers vs mid-tiers, and low level ones vs low level ones. that way you dont just have Abazuur crushing her way through everyone else?
Howling around all year long

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 pm

here's an idea, just give me a mortal kombat dm themed event and i will die happy

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Turn it into a player event by having factions/settlements capture bosses to enter into the fight

RandomX

Post by RandomX » Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Archnon wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm
Turn it into a player event by having factions/settlements capture bosses to enter into the fight

Now that would be awesome!! I still like the idea of having a betting system with it. But this wold give it a more player driven effect BUT and this is a big one. How does one modify the code to enable PC's to be able to capture epic monsters. I think in this case the simpler it is the more enjoying it may be

O-H41

Post by O-H41 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm

Archnon wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm
Yee haw! Temple of Lolth drowgirls lassoing Paush. We're all demon wranglers at heart. I'm on board.
Lilah Lannald: Is it cheese?
Corbin: Its---yes.
Corbin: Its cheese.

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Mon May 13, 2019 7:58 pm

STEP 1: DOMINATE MONSTER
STEP 2: DOMINATE OTHER MONSTER
STEP 3: ????
STEP 4: PROFIT!

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 pm

I don't even think it would take anything mechanically. Set up some DM quests to *capture* the bosses. Let factions/groups apply for writs (basically official DM approval) of some kind to capture a monster and all they have to do is kill it to capture it. You could make it interesting by regulating when they go after the boss (ie dm approval to go after the Mansion necromancer at time X) then have the DM double the monsters on the way in and slap on some serious buffs to the boss and give them some crazy AOE debuffs and just all around more beef (they are tougher to capture than kill). This would insure that single level 30 players wouldn't be going in to capture and enter a monster in the tournament. Set it up for like 30 days of captures. Each boss can only be grabbed by one faction. Factions can only grab one boss. They can make up to 3 attempts to grab a boss during the month They will need to coordinate and get people on each time and will have to make a strategic decision about which boss to go after. Easy boss you can win may not do well in the tournament, tougher boss, high risk high reward Then you end with a week long tournament, you could do half in cordor (surface factions), half in andunor (UD factions). Have the final match between UD and Surface somewhere. .... Mechanically i don't think it would be hard (but what the heck do I know, I am a perma noob) though i think it would likely be a big investment of DM time to run the different raids. It seems like it could be one of those major DM events that a recent "what could we do better" thread was talking about. Something to drive at and create interest but also create some dynamic, cooperative, strategic play without pushing faction PVP and maybe even creating a cooldown on Raids for a while by channeling it into a way that players won't get toasted. Though arena fights could be accompanied by some good old fashioned hooliganery.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon May 13, 2019 11:53 pm

now that i think about it the Rifts events from years ago were a sorely missed opportunity for a mortal kombat resolution

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Tue May 14, 2019 4:52 pm

O-H41 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:15 pm
Temple of Lolth drowgirls lassoing Paush. We're all demon wranglers at heart.
They call it wrangling these days, huh?
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.