Population loss...

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Vrass

Population loss...

Post by Vrass » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 am

I can confirm the current situation is causing population loss... last few days all three servers were reduced by 10% to 25% of normal. That number seems to be increasing, not good at all. :(

Vrass

Re: Population loss...

Post by Vrass » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:14 am

(Btw meant to put this in Feedback.)

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 am

currently ~150 people on, on a sunday night in US time

that's not 25% loss of characters

moreover correlation is not causation

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 am

Normally there would be about 70+ people on Surface and Cities and Planes. Last few days Surface has struggled to reach even 50 and Cities and Planes is maybe 60 when its normal population is usually 80. Distant shores is always low in comparison so i dont include it. I would call that a significant number statistically.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:22 am

There's also serious lag issues on surface and C&P atm.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:23 am

Population goes up and down. Don't let it effect your RP. If you enjoy the server, stay. If you don't. My advice to all others like me, is leave.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:25 am

I have no intention of leaving. As for your statement, i hope you are right... There are not really any other good servers at the moment.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:42 am

There is no need for such alarmism.

The last time a total, monthly player count was published by LW, they counted upwards of 1700 individual players, roughly six months ago.

Let us say that number has more or less stayed the same until now, with highs and lows since November until now. Even if several hundred of those 1700 were just sporadic, one time accounts, that still leaves us above the 1000 mark.

Now let us say some folk get discouraged, tired, or are just busy.
Let us say others are starting to realize their moraly ambiguous, meme-indoctrinated, manner-lacking ways can only last them so long before the community starts to push them out.
Let us even imagine a few more get banned because they are so very self assured of their navel-focused ways, that they dont even realize, or do not care, that they do not belong here.

I am betting we will still be looking at a monthly average of above 1000 individual players.

This server used to be packed and alive and full to the brim with a max capacity of 50 player slots.

We will be fine.

There are not 1000 very active, very vocal people in these forums. Not even half of that, or half of that half, or half of that last half.
So the things we often see around here, the absolute truths and dooms and storms and all the drama are very, very subjective and narrow glimpses into what is actually going on as a whole.

If despite all this, you are still worried about possible dwindling numbers, all any of us can do to counter that is very simple:

Treat newbies well and show them the ropes. Some will inevitably spread the word and get friends to join.
Treat each other well and focus on building an engaging world of pixelated elves and dorfs together, and many of those people will stay.

Anything more than that is static and little more than an onanistic oroboros.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 am

Honestly if we're losing people over this, good. We didn't need that negativity.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:17 am

Ork wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:14 am
Honestly if we're losing people over this, good. We didn't need that negativity.
I mean - Yeah. I'm with Ork on this one. We really haven't lost an appreciable number of people - there's still over 100 people online right now, compared to the 50-something we'd have gotten pre-NWN:EE; the server's population is still healthy and solvent. If people feel the need to leave over being told they'll be banned for flagrant breaches of the server's rules and code of conduct, then good. Let them.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:23 am

I'd not celebrate the loss of anyone. I don't think either side was purposefully trying to be vindictive, or at least not at the start. It's a shame things have come to such a head that so many players feel it's better to step away. There's no need to sneer at them, we're losing some wonderful Role players. All and all it's a net loss for the server and hopefully this mess can be examined and avoided in the future.

Knowing what got us to this point and taking the time to examine both sides and find some understanding is important. The loss of players and abrupt ending to so many stories doesn't do anyone any good.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Face

Post by Face » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 am

Memelord wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:17 am
If people feel the need to leave over being told they'll be banned for flagrant breaches of the server's rules and code of conduct, then good. Let them.
I'm pretty sure people are leaving because they're growing suspicious that DMs are enforcing rules selectively and supporting one group of players ahead of the others, chief.

That's not to say they're definitely right to think that.

I doubt there'll be any massive hit in numbers, yes, but we shouldn't be losing RP-creating players like Mach or Ghestelle or any of the others.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:35 am

Another post making it seem like doom and gloom are upon us.

Hin_Justice

Post by Hin_Justice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:41 am

Just pointing out.... GoT Season 8 premiered tonight. I know that's where I was at. When big movies and show premier on weekends, it is normal that we geeks go watch those things. I'd not worry, really. ;)

Barrister Byrny Nuhl
Cordor Public Defender
Castellan, Castle Gloom

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:43 am

Gahh that was tonight?

Hin_Justice

Post by Hin_Justice » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 am

Yup! Just streamed it.... wont spoil it, but OMG the cliffhanger for next week. o.0

Barrister Byrny Nuhl
Cordor Public Defender
Castellan, Castle Gloom

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:45 am

Face wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:32 am
we shouldn't be losing RP-creating players like Mach or Ghestelle or any of the others.
I think we'll be fine.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:55 am

All players should be potential rp creating characters.
Last edited by JubJub on Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

DM Axis

Post by DM Axis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 am

No one is forcing anyone to stay or leave. It's a Sunday night before the work week and Monday morning in others. Ease up.
"It is evil things we shall be fighting against, brute force, bad faith, injustice, oppression and persecution."
- Minister Neville Chamberlain 1939
Discord Contact : DM Axis#2344

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 am

Let's not forget tonight's also when Game of Thrones Season 8 premieres.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:21 am

A significant population do not even make use of the forums on a daily basis. So I would definitely relax, and stay positive. Control what you can control, and that is your own two legs and wings.
Please don't feed my sister.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 am

I don't think anyone is celebrating people leaving. It's not that a specific person needs to leave, but bad attitudes absolutely need to leave, and sometimes that doesn't happen until the persons affected by said attitude leave.

But as it's been said, for the rest of us, let's enjoy each other. There's no cause for worry here. Statistically, Arelith has had bumps in the past, ups and downs, but we've always come back from it stronger than ever. Ironically, a few days ago, I was reading old forums of other servers, threads that were welcoming players from Arelith since our server had gone down for one reason or another, and many were saying that's it, that's the end. That was more than 4 years ago, and we've never looked stronger.
This server will continue to grow. It's only a matter of years, maybe even months, before we start hitting high 100s in numbers. D&D is growing and for those who can't play as much as they want to, they'll find Arelith and they will stick around =)

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:04 am

In addition to Game of Throne Season 8...

...lets not forget Arelith PGCC is up, and I was just on there with at least 8 others, making a sweet, cookie-baking hin-shadowdragon.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

darthkitteh

Post by darthkitteh » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:23 am

Meme indoctrinated ways?
HEY! I represent that remark >.>

But yer, correlation is not causation. Science :)
It can be a worry, understandable, I can also see where some of the issues stem.
It's not one sided, there is bad wording, misinterpretation, and trolls adding oil on both 'sides'

I'm going to keep playing, and always as I have, leave ooc and ic separate.
Melodia Tsukiko ~ This Soonnnggg is as loonggg as a Skaljard Summer! *She ends with a sudden strike in tune of the notes, once and END*

hmm

Post by hmm » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 am

Anemoi is looking Really sexy right about now.