Skal collaborative faction

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Sartain

Skal collaborative faction

Post by Sartain » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:51 pm

So,

To facilitate some opportunities for Skal RP and character backgrounds, and to provide my own newest character with a potentially dynamic background, I wanted to develop a framework for a Dwarven clan on Skal that people can use as possible origin for their Dwarven characters, or as an entity for their backgrounds, regardless of race.

My intention is that this should be a collaborative effort of sorts where us that have characters related to the clan can come up with story material (events, NPCs, stories) and draw on the material that others have come up with.
It is not meant as a united faction that wants to take over the island or whatnot, it's a small, isolated Dwarven clan consisting of different families living at the edge of nowhere and not even represented in-game (though one can dream that this actually takes off and gets in-game representation at some point). If in-game RP somehow takes it there, so be it I suppose but this is meant more as a supporting "flavour" faction and not another participant for the server-wars ;)

But of course first I need to figure out if this is even accepted. I understand that the server has, sometimes unstated, oldschool rules about setting up narrative frameworks out of game and I'd hate for this to be considered metagaming or some such when it is meant as a tool for player agency and creating connections between characters.

Secondly I need to figure out if anyone is even interested? Would YOU like to be part of a creative effort both IC'ly and OOC'ly that begins with the story of the families of dwarven outcasts, misfits, adventurers and wanderers that came with the first settlers to Skal, a story that provides a background setting for both your own and other characters?

Thirdly I need to know if it's possible to be allowed to use the forums for this? Not as in doing the brainstorming and collab-work in forum threads, but if this bird actually flies it would be lovely to have a place to put our stories where other players can actually see them, maybe even get inspired them and decide to join them, or otherwise tie their story to ours.
Naturally, the stories are meant as vehicles for in-game RP but sometimes having access to some information OOC'ly can be the thing that kick-starts some great ideas.

So, any takers?
:)

Anime Sword Fighter

Re: Skal collaborative faction

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm

I'd be interested in it, personally, as I wanted to do a similar thing with a Wild Elf clan. But I would make a new PC for this, too.

Edit: Wait, I misread this. I would be down to make a new PC to begin a dwarf clan on Skal.

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:35 pm

Anime Sword Fighter wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:02 pm
I'd be interested in it, personally, as I wanted to do a similar thing with a Wild Elf clan. But I would make a new PC for this, too.

Edit: Wait, I misread this. I would be down to make a new PC to begin a dwarf clan on Skal.
Awesome. Well I have some ideas already, once I've gotten a bit more feedback on whether this is actually viable or will get shut down by DMs, I'll send you some info

DM Eyeball

Post by DM Eyeball » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:03 pm

There is not any problem with that whatsoever. The DM team encourages inclusive and ambitious rp.

If you intend to use the forums for this faction, please keep these things in mind:
- Only things that happen on the server do legitimately happen. No roleplay on the forums.
- Do not share Find Out In Game (FOIG) information on the forums.
- Avoid meta-gaming.

Otherwise, you are good to go. If there are further questions, send a PM to "Active DMs", we're happy to answer any questions you may have.

Enjoy your playtime!

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:52 pm

DM Eyeball wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:03 pm
There is not any problem with that whatsoever. The DM team encourages inclusive and ambitious rp.

If you intend to use the forums for this faction, please keep these things in mind:
- Only things that happen on the server do legitimately happen. No roleplay on the forums.
- Do not share Find Out In Game (FOIG) information on the forums.
- Avoid meta-gaming.

Otherwise, you are good to go. If there are further questions, send a PM to "Active DMs", we're happy to answer any questions you may have.

Enjoy your playtime!
The intent is to use the forum for background stuff and potential event write-ups, not active RP.

So great, thanks for the clearance :)

TheRoyalMagus

Post by TheRoyalMagus » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:14 am

I have been looking to make an Alt. I would be interested in making a dwarf for this. I know some people are against it, but have you thought of using DIscord to help set up play times and coordinate?

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:57 am

TheRoyalMagus wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:14 am
I have been looking to make an Alt. I would be interested in making a dwarf for this. I know some people are against it, but have you thought of using DIscord to help set up play times and coordinate?
I'm not opposed to having a Discord although my initial idea doesn't really require one.
I'm a bit busy for the weekend but I should have a write-up ready with some ideas for the start of next week

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Color me interested sometime! I have a dwarf on Skal and will keep an eye out when I am playing them. I hope this goes well for you!

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:31 pm

Are there others that have done something similar (a pre-organized family/guild/etc starting at skal) that could comment on what it was like for them as opposed to being an individual adventurer? how well did plots work out given skal's isolation and level cap?

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Alright, anime sword fighter made me write words in PM, here they are for the rest of you:

Clan Icebreaker:

A band of dwarven adventurers and misfits from dwarven society had a treasure map of some kind for a lost Dwarven Hall on Skal and went there. PCs are likely the following generation of dwarves, children of the settlers who either came with the expedition or were born on the island (not sure how long Skal is supposed to have been settled).
Clan is called Icebreaker and consists of a number of families, including the Ironhide family and the Coldstone family (the ones who had the original map to the Hall). The clan is governed by a chieftain, who has detected facto executive power although the Council of Elders representing the dwarven families often have much influence on decision-making and generally speaking, families rule themselves unless there is some great need or demand for the chieftain to step in. Think viking-style community, not as lawful as typical dwarves.
The Icebreaker Hall location is a well kept secret and all Icebreaker clan members are expected to keep that secret, on pain of death, as the clan is small and has plenty of foes, amongst them both the Corpsefeaster Gnolls and Cold Moon Goblins.

Recently, Hrothgar Ironhide killed the eldest Coldstone son in a duel and fled. There's some question as to their legality of the duel and the Coldstone elder is calling for his blood.

If you want to make up another family, feel free obviously. You're also welcome to play an Ironhide or a Coldstone if that's your thing.
The Ironhides have a fondness for the deity Haela Brightaxe, a CG battle deity that favours luck and boldness, and I have an idea that the Coldstones have a preference with Auril.

Generally speaking clan Icebreaker is more outdoorsy than the typical dwarven clans, and so barbarians, rangers and druids are not so unusual there.

If anyone wants to add something, please feel free. Or if you want to discuss something, feel free too.
I have a pretty established vision for the whole thing but I'd love some input from others as well.
If people are up for it we could even sit down and create some family trees (although we need to leave room for potential new characters)