A new player, where to start? Looking for friends

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

AizerAstracte

A new player, where to start? Looking for friends

Post by AizerAstracte » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:27 pm

So, I just joined the Server and I am a bit lost.

I made a Urug slave because I thought "Being enslaved by someone will be a good way to have someone teach me around"

But it seems I am property of the city itself, not someone in particular so. It kinda backfired

Anyone new who is starting or an experienced player making a new character wants to band up?

Or just someone to play with, I am lonely

Petrifictus

Re: A new player, where to start? Looking for friends

Post by Petrifictus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:54 pm

If you want to play a monster race in the Underdark then be free to seek out the Scourge Tribe, which focus on supporting monstrous RP and encouraging/inspire people to play as monsters, be they new or old. Be free to send me PM if interested or my character, Karstaag.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

AizerAstracte

Post by AizerAstracte » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Sent you a pm, by the way is there an arelith discord server?

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Yes there is! Here's the link:
https://discord.gg/ddbCpRX

Many folks there will be helpful to your questions.

I'd suggest you also check out the Builds & Mechanics section, specifically the THE ESSENTIAL COOKIE-CUTTER BUILD GUIDE.

This way, you don't have to worry as much about rebuilding your character later. (Which is what happens to a lot of new players, myself included)

AizerAstracte

Post by AizerAstracte » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Thank you for your help, I joined the discord

Volograd
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Volograd » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:43 am

Skaljard is almost always busy. Come sit by the campfire in front of the armory and you’ll be striking up a conversation in minutes.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:19 am

You will only start as owned by the Slavemaster. After level 5, you can be bought and auctioned.

If you wander around a while, someone will eventually approach your character and want to buy them off the hands of the Slavemaster.

AizerAstracte

Post by AizerAstracte » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 am

I ended up making a Human, was told on the discord it'll be easier

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:02 pm

Introduce yourself to everyone you meet, make sure your character mentions their name at some point in the conversation.

Post a lot on the settlement boards. Not adverts and not calling somebody out. Whenever you learn something useful IC that you think another newcomer would find useful? Try to put it into a board post. Is there money to be made somewhere? Have you been introduced to a faction, and can name a few of their members to thank them or make a request? If nothing else, have your character introduce themselves in the shortest possible manner, and give a loosely detailed account of their arrival in the settlement. Don't copy the letter and repost it to every board, less is more. Focus on one or two boards. When you mass-post messages everywhere, people will spot the title or your character's name and ignore them. Decide which board is your character's favourite and use it.

Server activity is centered around three main things. XP, money and reputation. Hanging around in areas where people go to gain XP is pretty dangerous since the monsters won't appreciate your presence, and characters at different levels will visit different areas. You might have the opportunity to RP with people you come across while leveling, but they may just attack you for cutting into their xp gains. You can offer to guide people to locations in order to make friends, works best for characters that are a lower level than you.

Money is also useful to generate RP. People are always looking for convenient ways to gain either gold or things of value. This can mean more grinding but setting up a stall and hawking your wares is a good way to meet other characters. Items of high mechanical value, like rare magical items, wands, cheap healing kits and custom enchanted things are what appeals to people the most, but low levels won't always have access to those. If you want to sell items, making things more convenient for people is a good way. Find phrasebooks in bookshelves, edit and design more mundane item descriptions for RP flavor (Characters will buy these for RP reasons) or simply offer to trade things of equal value. You don't actually need to have anything to trade, just haggle with people in a fun way. Ask them where they obtained the item, what it's worth to them, what it makes your character think of - anything that comes to mind. Just take an interest in them as people and most players will enjoy themselves, even if it seems like their character did not. Trading and selling information is also something that characters will seek out with a vicious hunger. Ask lots of questions IC, take an interest in people.

Ultimately all of it adds up to your IC reputation. Not something that a lot of people acknowledge openly but still important. Who knows your name, how many names do you know. There is a lot of power in a name. When you mention people in your letters, they are more inclined to take a personal interest in it. Others will want to know names so they can try to look for people. There is power in a name and characters that are discussed more often are often more influential, even if they are infamous. Even the DMs want to know who is being talked about. This is why if you encounter a public faction and talk about them in RP or in a letter/notice, use the names of the members so other people can find them. Most factions want people to know who they are. If you're new and want to build a reputation or some influence, helping others with theirs is often the fastest way to do it.

The final piece of advice that I have is that everybody loves a story. Keep some record of what's happening to your character. It might not seem like much, but history is something that appreciates in value and if you keep track of it, you might find others appreciate it more. IC journals are fun, but take some effort. Bare minimum effort is setting up your game's logging so you can at least comb through it at a later stage. Save a copy of the letters/messages you write, obtain a notebook, put them in there. If somebody addresses a letter to you, put it in there too. Somebody will correct this if it's wrong, but they hold an unlimited amount of messages, but only the top 20 are shown. You have to take messages out to get to the older ones.

**EDIT** I lied, the absolute last piece of advice I have is if you don't want to interrupt people's conversations, or want to indicate an interest in roleplaying with somebody, find a way to include their name in an emote when you are standing within range. Emote that your character glances in their direction, or looks at their clothing, or their weapons, or tries to gauge their mood. Once again, names have power, people will notice when their character's name is used. 90% of players who are not busy with something else will most likely take the invitation to RP and talk to your character.

Sorry for the wall of text, but this particular issue is something that I've struggled with and to some extent, still do. It's sad when people feel kept out of all the fun, so I figured I'd share what I know.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

AizerAstracte

Post by AizerAstracte » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks for the tip!