NWN Enhanced Edition: Anyone continuously crashing?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Kaymon24

NWN Enhanced Edition: Anyone continuously crashing?

Post by Kaymon24 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:08 am

I have never played a version of nwn that has caused my character to crash at least once per hour. I run smoothly in the game then all of a sudden at a annual time I get a pop up that says: "sorry we crashed hard." From Beam dog and the game stops. Anyone else having this problem in this version of the game and does Beam dog care enough to fix this? It's just ridiculous since I my character has died 3 times because of this crashing and when it does happen I lose all summons. Even when this happens I have to wait 5 minutes to log back on because it says "CD key still in use" so I am just waiting to log back on dead as my character stood there in game, letting things kill him. I just don't see any improvements in this version of nwn, but more crashing. Is there a way to fix this on my end? Think this is somewhere to post on Beamdog but have no clue where.

Maladus

Re: NWN Enhanced Edition: Anyone continuously crashing?

Post by Maladus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:34 am

I unfortunately don't know of a way to fix this on your end and I know it can be very frustrating. I would suggest that you post on the Beamdog NWN Technical Support forum and submit a bug. There's a lot of things that could be going on so submitting a bug will help Beamdog track down what the problem is and hopefully release a patch soon.

Meanwhile, if you are using any custom overrides or anything, you could try removing those to see if that does anything to fix it. It's not likely what is causing the issue but I'm just trying to give you something to try.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:16 am

I get a CTD several times a day and pretty much everyone I'm in regular contact with does too.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm

I think it has to do with some sort of memory leak, because the crash always happens after a while of playing. Happened to all 3 party members once when venturing through the slime temple. Always the type where your CD key is busy afterwards.

So one janky but in theory effective workaround is closing down the game before going on journeys, and preferrably sometimes during it if its a long journey.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Most of the time when you crash your CD key will be busy because it takes a few minutes for the server to recognize the crash and 'disconnect' you from the server.

I posted about a memory leak on the Beamdog forums and someone posted about a similar issue they were having on mobile that he tracked down to a CPU issue regarding multiple cores. I've been doing some testing on my own to see if limiting NWN to a single core through Task Manager helps to solve the issue. I've only played once for about 30-45 minutes since doing this so I don't have enough to say for sure if it solves it. It's worth a shot to see if it fixes your issues though.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 pm

yes, it started happening last patch.

Create a bug report for beamdog and add your log to it.

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:18 am

Seems to have started last patch. 90% of the people I know crash all the time.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:06 pm

I crash frequently...

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:48 pm

Yeah, prior to the last patch, NWN:EE worked perfectly for me. Since the last patch, I get multiple Runtime Errors and "Beamdog Hard Crash, sorry!" crashes per day. I also sometimes get immediately booted out to server select with no pop-up or error a few seconds after I log in sometimes (but my CD key doesn't remain in use and I can log back in immediately.)

These errors happen most often for me when switching between Fullscreen and Windowed Mode, or right when a spawn pops up and starts combat with me. Which is super awkward when you're a Greatsword WM (I've died to crashes more often than I've died to anything else.)

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Been happening to me a lot lately too.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:32 pm

I drop all the time. Screenshots, alt-tab and some GFX.

Does anyone have a link to any definitive guides to tweaking your nwn.ini to make it run more smoothly. There are ways to set the proper number of cores and manage max memory usage but I'm unclear as to whether this helps anymore in EE or if we just have to wait for a patch.
Vicko Tannel, First Knight of Darrowdeep
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:26 am

I've been getting inconsistent crashes, but also the game minimizing on me (but otherwise still running) which is very annoying.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Trinity

Post by Trinity » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:47 am

I look am looking into this. About 95 percent of my crashes seem to happen in transition areas. I too am thinking it might be a memory issue.. When I crash it is always on the loading screen.. do not know if this helps you. Have not figured it out yet
Vier'afae first Daughter of House Auvry'ndal! (currently playing)

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm

I did seemingly have more consistent performance after limiting the game to use only one CPU core. I was still getting between 45-60 frames in the Hub and other places in Andunor, the dip in frames is attributed to various VFX or other things placed in the environment. Perhaps some of you that are crashing consistently (I’ve only crashed a couple times to this point) can try it and see if that helps.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Yes. I crash all the time.

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:29 pm

Add this line or change this in you nwnplayer.ini file found in your MyDocuments/ neverwinternights/ folder (standard windows install)

Client CPU Affinity=0

will chose a single core (you can set this back to -2 to use default settings in the future.
Specifies the CPU the game client will use on a multi-core computer. Cores are numbered from 0 to the number of cores minus 1. As of patch 1.69, a value of '-1' is treated as '0' and a value of '-2' indicates that the game should use the default affinity (if any) provided by the operating system. (Added in patch 1.67.)
So if you have an i7 with 6 cores you an set this Client CPU Affinity= {any number 0-5}

I know this helped in earlier versions, and it worth a shot I guess.

This is on windows only. Someone correct me if this isn't the solution discussed above.
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:54 pm

Hmm...that would work better than doing it through task manager like I’ve been doing so far.

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:21 am

Since doing this I've had studders on rare occasion, likely gfx related...but no crash. Six hours of game time... Couple hour blocks at once. Which was flat out impossible before changing this.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:21 am

Did you put the line under a specific heading or just add it to the bottom?

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:27 am

bottom.. and I did crash to end the night. Likely 4 hours at least, East coat.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm

While I haven't experienced that much crashing personally, I have had an issue with major drops in framerate over long play sessions. Doing this CPU affinity thing did not seem to improve it. Last night I went to Pandemonium and then to the Burning Spires with two different groups. At the end of that I was getting between 9-15 FPS upon returning to the Hub. After restarting the game I was getting a buttery smooth 60-80 in the Hub, but even after about 20 minutes or so of RP in the Hub that average dropped down to like 40-50. Something squirrelly is going on.

Chair

Post by Chair » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:26 pm

Sounds like a memory leak.

Sycostick
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Sycostick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:35 pm

I was crashing or getting EE'ed often in Cordor or in the barracks when I was running on a AMD machine. Now I am crashing to desktop a lot on a new Intel based machine. I tried compatibility mode and admin, to no avail. Never had any issues before EE on AMD, but I had heard of the runtime error crash for Intel.

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Crashing has become so prevalent that my discord groups have stopped calling it "crashing" and started calling it "getting enhanced", to the point that I've forgotten that "crashing" was the original term for it and have been using the phrase outside of NWN circles.
20 RPR GANG