Hello! I'm new and have questions!

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Shyntree

Hello! I'm new and have questions!

Post by Shyntree » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:01 am

Hi there!

I'm new to the server - and completely new to NWN1 actually! I was a longtime player of NWN2 online, and was even DM on a NWN2 server for several years, but I've not played any NWN2 (or any RPG) online in about 8 years, so I'm really sorry if my RP on the server is a little rusty. I really want to get back into online RPing, so I'm playing NWN1 instead of NWN2 as I don't have a computer right now, but I can play NWN1 on my tablet (with a bit of lag).

I've rolled up a character but haven't taken her out of the setup room yet because I wanted to ask a few questions before I do so:

My (first?) character will be a wood elf ranger, a follower of Sheverash. In the backstory I kind of thought up for her, she used to be a slave of the drow (a long time ago). However, on carefully reading Arelith's custom rules and languages, I quickly realised that the only way for her to be able to understand Drow as a language would be to find a tutor and RP it over many months, rather than assume it because of backstory. (Totally understandable, I get that the DMs wish to create a level playing field so that not all players are like "My character speaks every language! Nyah nyah nyah!") SO: Question 1:

Q1: For my character, and me as a player, what would be the best way to have my character know or learn drow, given that as a follower of Sheverash, she would not associate with any drow at all (most likely even Eilistraee followers) and thus would have difficulty finding a tutor? In my mind , she would have learnt drow during her years in slavery (A long time ago).

Q2: Are Eilistraee-following/"good"/"surface" drow a common occurance on Arelith? I ask because as I will be RPing a Sheverash devotee, I'm trying to figure out how to RP around this. I'm not a huge PvPer by preference (Though will partake when appropriate to RP), but I realise that playing a follower of Sheverash, this may mean RP drgs me into a few conflicts if there is an abundance of Eilistraeean/surface drow.

Q3: Is there a list of the ranger spells that are considered "nature domain" someone can point me to? Reading Arelith's mechanics, I realise that as a ranger, Sheverash is not strictly a "nature" god (Though is a common god for elven rangers to follow) and I realise I will lose access to SOME ranger spells by choosing a non-nature domain god to follow.

Sorry for the long message, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - I couldn't find a "new players" thread anywhere, but maybe I just wasn't looking in the right place...

Xerah

Re: Hello! I'm new and have questions!

Post by Xerah » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:17 am

Q1: For my character, and me as a player, what would be the best way to have my character know or learn drow, given that as a follower of Sheverash, she would not associate with any drow at all (most likely even Eilistraee followers) and thus would have difficulty finding a tutor? In my mind , she would have learnt drow during her years in slavery (A long time ago).
It was a hard life and she didn't wish to remember that time, so she forgot everything she could about the language and/or doesn't speak it.
Q2: Are Eilistraee-following/"good"/"surface" drow a common occurance on Arelith? I ask because as I will be RPing a Sheverash devotee, I'm trying to figure out how to RP around this. I'm not a huge PvPer by preference (Though will partake when appropriate to RP), but I realise that playing a follower of Sheverash, this may mean RP drgs me into a few conflicts if there is an abundance of Eilistraeean/surface drow.
The numbers are up and now. Down now, I think.
Q3: Is there a list of the ranger spells that are considered "nature domain" someone can point me to? Reading Arelith's mechanics, I realise that as a ranger, Sheverash is not strictly a "nature" god (Though is a common god for elven rangers to follow) and I realise I will lose access to SOME ranger spells by choosing a non-nature domain god to follow.
Without actually looking this up, it is spells that are only on the druid list, I believe. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, if not, I'll look it up when I get a moment.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 am

Q1: You gotta learn everything like that in game. Languages and stuff that aren't earned via the rare 5% must be learned through the IG system so arrange yourself around that. I'd make your back story reflect this.

Q2: There are drow on the server who might be Eilistraeens, however, all Drow. All underdark creatures, and anything damned to the UD are meant to be down there most of the time so "surface drow" do not exist on Arelith. Essentially anyone just sort of "hanging out" on the surface are tempting fate and probably most of the time in violation of the Arelith monster/hostile races rules. Good alignment doesn't mean you have a free pass to those because its supposed to be used to maintain integrity in the `in house setting`.

You might have moral quandaries around those who claim their allegiance to Eilistraee and other good gods. You should and that certainly can be explored. But given the occasional raids, an actual UD to counter poke at - and many traditional elven enemies you'll not be without crunchy conflict and dilemma.

Q3: All the spells you'd actually want are unfortunately under nature, but, you could still wand them. I do not recommend it, however.

Welcome to the server and if you need help, feel free to PM me or continue to ask questions on this forum as you have!
🤡

three wolf moon

Post by three wolf moon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 am

Hello! I am also playing an elf who is a Black Archer. The others have answered your queries already, but regarding the last one:

You can follow Fenmarel Mestarine, who is Shevarash's superior. He is nature/Trickery.

Fionn

Post by Fionn » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:15 am

Hope it's not too FOIG here, but there are frequent scheduled language lessons up at the Arcane Tower. By 5th level, you should have found out about that if you're starting in Cordor or Myon. It will still take you months RL to master Drow again - as stated above, you may have suppressed that ;)

I've got a fat-elf Sheverash Ranger - haven't actually found a consecrated Altar yet. While I've met some few Drow on the surface, they generally attempt to hide their presence as one would expect.
~~~~~~
Badger
Wynn
RIP: Paddy

Shyntree

Post by Shyntree » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:29 am

Thanks everyone for the fast and quality responses!
Red Ropes wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:51 am
Q1: You gotta learn everything like that in game. Languages and stuff that aren't earned via the rare 5% must be learned through the IG system so arrange yourself around that. I'd make your back story reflect this.
Xerah wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:17 am
It was a hard life and she didn't wish to remember that time, so she forgot everything she could about the language and/or doesn't speak it.
That's a good idea, Xerah! I'll run with that suggestion.

As for the nature domain spells
three wolf moon wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:01 am
Hello! I am also playing an elf who is a Black Archer. The others have answered your queries already, but regarding the last one:

You can follow Fenmarel Mestarine, who is Shevarash's superior. He is nature/Trickery.
This is a great suggestion! A character could plausibly venerate both deities, especially given the close relationship.

Thanks everyone!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:01 pm

In regards to your first question, if you can find your way to the main UD settlement and do a good enough job of trying to fit in, I.E. you don’t got around shooting Drow in the face with arrows there are some non-Drow that speak the language. You could be discreet in asking around for someone to teach it and then bargain an agreement to have them teach you in exchange for something they want.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:31 am

Shyntree wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:01 am

Great Question!!! There's definitely surface "good" drow, and even more "non-evil" drow that frequent the surface of Arelith. There is A LOT of generous people who give into the temptation to RP positive reception to the attempts of players playing "good" drow, and there have been drow who (alegedly) have walked the surface of Arelith with written support from surface elven kings!

-I'm not one of those players. So far to date, only 1 surface drow has successfully earned any of my character's trust to the point my character acknowledge that drow's "goodness" and even that was after months and months and MONTHS of interaction. Even hearing other characters tell my character a drow in question is "okay" or "harmless" or even "non aggressive" none of my characters have ever fully bought into it... Even in the days of "Wicket Witherdustk" there was 'hope' her intentions were true, but solid trust was never fully achived... and look how THAT turned out. (oh well, you're new.. sorry... yeah, didn't turn out well.)

To me (as a player) the very concept of a good drow is like someone convincing me aliens have visited them in real life. Now, personally... I believe that there exist somewhere in the expansive universe that aliens exist in some form or fashion. Have they visited us on earth? Have they visited specifically YOU? Sorry. I don't believe it. That's where I take my characters.

That said... I don't fault others for supporting surface drow, it's a decision as a player that I have made that someone really really REALLY has to earn that RP. In the past, I've had one of my characters be receptive to it, and it turned out interesting, but ultimately, it wasn't fun. It's way more fun (in my opinion) to disbelieve. I hope you do too! ;)
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 am

Can confirm Clea the leader of the elven city supports super bias towards any drow no matter what their professed intentions are.

There are a lot of Shevarash and blackarchers around Myon to talk to and learn more about. Maybe you could approach your concept from the point of view of being a novice and seeking a teacher? That'd be a way to learn the ropes with RP reasoning
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Shyntree

Post by Shyntree » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:55 pm

The Kriv wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:31 am
Shyntree wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:01 am

Great Question!!! There's definitely surface "good" drow, and even more "non-evil" drow that frequent the surface of Arelith. There is A LOT of generous people who give into the temptation to RP positive reception to the attempts of players playing "good" drow, and there have been drow who (alegedly) have walked the surface of Arelith with written support from surface elven kings!

-I'm not one of those players. So far to date, only 1 surface drow has successfully earned any of my character's trust to the point my character acknowledge that drow's "goodness" and even that was after months and months and MONTHS of interaction. Even hearing other characters tell my character a drow in question is "okay" or "harmless" or even "non aggressive" none of my characters have ever fully bought into it... Even in the days of "Wicket Witherdustk" there was 'hope' her intentions were true, but solid trust was never fully achived... and look how THAT turned out. (oh well, you're new.. sorry... yeah, didn't turn out well.)

To me (as a player) the very concept of a good drow is like someone convincing me aliens have visited them in real life. Now, personally... I believe that there exist somewhere in the expansive universe that aliens exist in some form or fashion. Have they visited us on earth? Have they visited specifically YOU? Sorry. I don't believe it. That's where I take my characters.

That said... I don't fault others for supporting surface drow, it's a decision as a player that I have made that someone really really REALLY has to earn that RP. In the past, I've had one of my characters be receptive to it, and it turned out interesting, but ultimately, it wasn't fun. It's way more fun (in my opinion) to disbelieve. I hope you do too! ;)
I completely agree! I think, too, that a healthy dose of distrust and hostility ultimately benefits both sides, both surface and UD:

As someone who (almost a decade ago on NWN2) has played both an eilistraeean drow, and an evil drow lying through her teeth and claiming to be good drow to infiltrate, nothing was more frustrating to RP than not meeting a hostile and distrustful surface world. Personally, I was actually relieved whe I found players who would RP wanting to kill me on sight. (Not necessarily DO it, but at leaast... y'know, give me a chance to run from a hail of arrows...)
Royal Blood wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 am
Can confirm Clea the leader of the elven city supports super bias towards any drow no matter what their professed intentions are.

There are a lot of Shevarash and blackarchers around Myon to talk to and learn more about. Maybe you could approach your concept from the point of view of being a novice and seeking a teacher? That'd be a way to learn the ropes with RP reasoning
Saoirse has made her way to Myon already, and she has been fortunate enough to meet Lakas (I think the leader of the black archers?) - he's been a huge help.

She has met Clea too. As for a bias towards drow held by her... that has not yet come up. Buuuuuut.... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.