Respawn Locations

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

420chambers

Respawn Locations

Post by 420chambers » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:40 pm

So, respawning is something hard to explain and roleplay for some people.

I know it would take a while and be tricky to do well, but would people enjoy the idea of respawning in a specific location and with some sort of small task in order to come back to life?

For example, if the player is an LG paladin of Torm, they might respawn in Celestia as that would make a lot of sense. As with Arelith's many adventurers, it's quite common to be able to travel to this plane with some magic and a bit of know how so that could indeed relate to their quest to planeshift back to the prime (although if I understand it, there's gonna be differences since the prime body is a corpse now). Maybe the Tormite paladin would have to work out a way to encompass a new physical body/clone. Also this is now getting deeper than I originally even thought into.

I do understand that different people like to play it out differently, I think I met a character once that makes clones of himself and has a sort of phylactery device to respawn back into one.

discuss thoughts?

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Respawn Locations

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:21 pm

I think this sounds really cool. Some sort of petitioning in the afterlife to be sent back. Maybe it takes piety. Maybe persuasion/bluff/intimidation checks could play into it. Lots of potential here.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:26 pm

This sounds like it would be fun on paper, but very dull and repetitive after the hundredth time you're forced to do it just to respawn. Like the speedy quest.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:16 am

Maybe only after you've hit epic levels? Maybe even max level. You're probably dying a lot less at that point, and you probably want to experience a more meaningful death than you had before.

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:04 am

magistrasa wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:16 am
Maybe only after you've hit epic levels? Maybe even max level. You're probably dying a lot less at that point, and you probably want to experience a more meaningful death than you had before.
I like this! And also avoids the doing it over and over thing. Maybe a different one for PVP death etc etc.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:44 am

Personally, I'd rather have full choice as to what the respawn means to my chars. There are lots of explanations, one of the simolest I use often is that my char has met his god face to face and has be "told" his work in the Prime in not finished.

Having said that I would not object to having a task for your god system.

420chambers

Post by 420chambers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:38 am

The option could also relate to factions, where someone keeps like ID on themselves, so they can be shipped off to their faction (for money)