How much has it changed?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DeflectiveQuestion

How much has it changed?

Post by DeflectiveQuestion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:43 am

I played years ago as Mari Toshiku and an Elf druidess.

For reference, Havardr Steinnson(?) peaked, a paladin made himself king of Guldorand (a Nobanionite), and there was a split in the Mage tower with some forming the Circle in Cordor.

How much have the mechanics, classes, landscapes changed? Would I even recognize Arelith anymore? I miss proper roleplay and the (realtively) non-toxic playerbase.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: How much has it changed?

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:07 am

Well, Havardr's gone but that Paladin has returned, so you can see him again. There's a lot more instability in most settlements than there was at the time you left.

You'll recognize a lot of stuff that's still there, but also a ton of stuff that's been added in, since. I was playing the Mayor of Wharftown around your time, and it's since been nuked from orbit. (more details IC) There have been a lot of little mechanical tweaks. Warlocks are better, but Weave Masters are gone.

It's too much to put into a blurb on the forums, so you'll just have to get into the game and look around.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

DeflectiveQuestion

Post by DeflectiveQuestion » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:19 am

Are 'basic' classes viable? I see Spellswords, PDK, all sorts of subclasses. Am I basically relearning the entire system to play a subclass?
Are vanilla classes able to perform against all these nifty new subclasses?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:41 am

Base classes are as viable as they were before the many subclasses were added. Many have been given bonuses to make them better. Rogue, for example, got a huge overhaul, making it a very powerful scout and hit-and-run attacker with handy gadgets. Paladin, Fighter, Barbarian, and Ranger have all had features added. Sorcerers and Wizards now get infinite cast spells for GSF feats.

Most of the paths are pretty well balanced, and all are open to being tweaked more if it's found that they're too powerful in some way.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:46 am

A good idea might be to check out the last half dozen or so pages on the updates thread.
You won't get to see absolutely everything that's changed or been added but it'll likely answer quite a few of your questions.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:33 am

Havardr turned into a bitter old man that lived in the woods and threw his axe over a cliff because the druids wouldn't leave him alone since the trees told them it made them very nervous. It was a good time. Welcome back.

"Base" classes are still incredibly viable - I'd say the majority of them are more even more viable than most of the paths or options available, with the exception of the Archer path for rangers, which just lets you focus hard on pew-pew'ing instead of stabbing someone with two knives. Which is good, because changes to how arrows work has made non-AA archers, crossbowmen, slingers, and dart/axe-tossers into a competitive and viable option.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Angela Amana is still around, and still remembers the time Mari commissioned her to make a kimono for Harvadr! Those were fun times.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:30 am

Player of that particular paladin here.

From my experience, the server feels a bit different, and the populations of players in certain settlements seems to have shifted. Guldorand and Brog seem to be in the spotlight these days (At least at the times I'm online). With the game-crashing EE bugs and the introduction of Skal, Cordor sees a lot less traffic. The Underdark is a pretty cosmopolitan place now. At least, more than it used to be.

You meet a lot of new players, which is a sight that makes me glad for EE. There's the option of starting in Skal now, but my experience with the place is that it's a bit over-saturated with new players and disconnected with the rest of the server, so it doesn't quite feel like Arelith, if that makes sense.

Though, in spite of all the new players, there are a lot less people hanging out in cities. Frequent crashes, I guess?
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.