Haks/Mods - Rollout & Expectations

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Haks/Mods - Rollout & Expectations

Post by Dalek Caan » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:24 pm

What about stuff like feat or spell descriptions? I have no clue about haks but... that kinda seems like something that certainly takes a lot of time to go through, but fairly easy to implement. I'd love that!

I'm not an animator but I can certainly produce some neat custom sounds and stuff. I know my way around Maya (and probably Blender, if I take a little time to get used to it), so I can also work on models, if needed :-)

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 pm

I'm not too hard up on spell descriptions and such changing. You just need to redo them every single time there's a new update, it's more bureaucracy in getting the work done.

flower

Post by flower » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Too much work which could be put elsewhere and as soon as guy doing updates falls out, it gets obsolete...

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:37 pm

If you remove Discipline, you better replace it with the actual D&D mechanics:
NWN Wiki wrote:The discipline skill does not exist in pen and paper D&D. Instead, special attacks are opposed by non-skill checks. For example, in pen and paper, disarm is opposed by an attack roll, and the analogies to knockdown (trip and overrun) are opposed by strength checks. While discipline is working as intended by BioWare, there has been debate over whether or not it is a good addition to the game.
I don't see it happen as it would cause a huge headache for everyone. If it did happen, however? I'd wholeheartedly welcome it. By the words of a certain someone, "It's a toxic mechanic".

On another note, I think what nym is implying is that they wish RP was built around storytelling rather than the cookie-cutter builds there's so much emphasis and focus on. The fact that every build has to have UMD and Discipline means taking away two other potential skills that a player character could focus in but doesn't because it's not optimal. And, to a certain degree, not optimal equals not fun. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I can see why people feel that way.
And in that way, characters become build-clones of each other.

Adding more classes, however, could stir that pot and introduce more paths and ways for characters to feel valid and optimal.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Can't wait for dex classes to get erased from the map as full BAB WMs with disarm and KD become the only viable build due to high STR high AB.

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DM Symphony » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Wow guys, one day later and the boss's custom content thread ends up as another weaponmaster balance topic? Can't you make a "how haks can ruin our combat balance" thread in Builds & Mechanics?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:37 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:37 pm
NWN Wiki wrote:The discipline skill does not exist in pen and paper D&D. Instead, special attacks are opposed by non-skill checks. For example, in pen and paper, disarm is opposed by an attack roll, and the analogies to knockdown (trip and overrun) are opposed by strength checks. While discipline is working as intended by BioWare, there has been debate over whether or not it is a good addition to the game.
I don't see it happen as it would cause a huge headache for everyone. If it did happen, however? I'd wholeheartedly welcome it. By the words of a certain someone, "It's a toxic mechanic".

On another note, I think what nym is implying is that they wish RP was built around storytelling rather than the cookie-cutter builds there's so much emphasis and focus on. The fact that every build has to have UMD and Discipline means taking away two other potential skills that a player character could focus in but doesn't because it's not optimal. And, to a certain degree, not optimal equals not fun. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I can see why people feel that way.

Adding more classes, however, could stir that pot and introduce more paths and ways for characters to feel valid and optimal.
haks will allow for the real classes and eliminate skill dumps and umd for the masses
Yes I can sign

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:40 am

"I want to rp that I can't get knocked down instead of training in it"
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:52 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:37 pm

My position has always been that these 'special maneuvers' are implied by the regular attack round. I mean, I'd always be trying to disarm, knockdown, bash, quivering-palm ect my opponent.

Yeah, what I was trying to get, and perhaps I didn't do the best job at it, was that we really take the burden off the player to be inventive when we reduce every element of a character to some sort of game mechanic. Alignment is a good example of this. Now you don't even need to think about what a /person/ would do in a situation. You can instead just ask "What would a lawful good person do?" People don't fit into neat little boxes like that; alignment is just a microcosm of the whole idea of having canned, pre-packaged characters.

That's a bit of a tangent from what we were talking about with the classes. We already have around thirty classes. What could we possibly be missing?

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:03 pm

sad_zav wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:40 am
"I want to rp that I can't get knocked down instead of training in it"
"I want to be able to knock people over, over and over again, and have them never learn or adapt, or anticipate the attack is coming, because that's super plausible and realistic and thats how fights go in real life. when you use the same maneuver over and over again on the same opponent its always as effective as the first time."

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:11 pm

"Yes so let me get some training in it because there's nothing in a wizard's curriculum that teaches me how to be better vs this"

stop trying to ruin the game
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 pm

I think different magic staff models and color options would be cool. Can we talk about that? How about rideable Rothé for underdarkers, or potentially making them temporary pack mule companions? That's fun, right??? How about we talk about that?????

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

sexy and brooding dark lord

Post by sexy and brooding dark lord » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:55 pm

I think HAKs for mule packs are not needed. Just make rothe henchmans avaible.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:09 pm

Moving ships woooooooooo

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:34 pm

sad_zav wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:11 pm
"Yes so let me get some training in it because there's nothing in a wizard's curriculum that teaches me how to be better vs this"

stop trying to ruin the game
Discipline is an annoying NWN affectation that itself ruins the game. I'm not sure what's so implausible about a super-genius with a 45 intelligence recognizing that their opponent is using the same maneuver over and over again. I also find the way you put everything in pithy little quotes like that really catty and unlikable.

The Incredulous Bulk

Post by The Incredulous Bulk » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:41 pm

I think removing discipline is a very, very bad idea. It has taken years for the server to reach the level of balance it currently has, and a change like this would fundamentally wreck that.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:58 pm

This thread is being derailed. Please take your argument somewhere else.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:35 pm

I love you guys, but please: While this is a thread about what people want from the potential of haks, it's not a thread about why the wants may or may not be right or wrong. Let's keep it to as if we responding to Irongron himself, which, as a reminder, was:

Irongron wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:05 am

Any outstanding questions?

I guess this is my biggest question to the playerbase on the subject of HAKS right now. I have explained above why I feel establishing a 'standard' is important, but I can see that there are also cases where players are better left to decide. For stuff that does not need affect how I build the world - such as skyboxes, I think it is better to remain the choice of the player, but for others, such as radically altered creature appearances I would much prefer everyone was seeing the same thing. THe ultimate problem here is that I would essentially start taking away the agency of players in making their own aesthetic choices - many would be glad of that, or even expect it, but for others the change may be unwelcome. I'd definitely be interested in some player input on this aspect.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:20 pm

Yo, Irongron, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but discipline....

Bear/boar dwarf cavalry :)

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Just avoid the CEP clothing options. Or most things from CEP in general. Curate and prune everything quite thoroughly, because there's a lot of HAK packs and bundles out there which contain some genuinely awful things - like most of the CEP clothing options.

I love me some shiny new tilesets, though.

Invader_Nym

Post by Invader_Nym » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:06 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 pm
Can't wait for dex classes to get erased from the map as full BAB WMs with disarm and KD become the only viable build due to high STR high AB.
WM would be solved if we removed the ability for keen and improved critical to stack, which can be done, I assume, using haks. It's objectively the right call to make but I doubt it'll ever get made because of social pressure from the players.

Another way to mitigate the problem of dex-vs-str is to make a character's armor-check penalty apply to tumble, and thus the AC awarded by it. DPS'ers who want to optimize damage by going str will lose 18 points of tumble from heavy armor. I assume this could be done via haks as well.

There are pretty quick and in my opinion obvious fixes to many weird mechanical quirks of NWN that never made any sense to start with.

I'd disable haste's 'quicken-spell' features as well. Here's a level 3 spell that has the same effect as 3 epic feats and 1 heroic feat combined (quicken spell, automatic quicken spell 1,2,3). This is obviously a wild deviation from how spell-casting is supposed to work; it's a great addition if you're playing by yourself offline against npcs. It's a giant mess if you want a fair and balanced online world.

To tie this all back into the original topic of the thread, I'd use the haks first to add cosmetics that have been sorely lacking for so so long, second to fix balance issues that may have been difficult or impossible to fix previously, and then, third, to add new classes and races and bells and whistles. The extra lasses and races are fluff; they're cool to have but the server just isn't screaming for them in my opinion, and often adding a seemingly innocuous new class or race can end up being a logistical nightmare in terms of balance.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Imagine suggesting things the entire server is balanced around are removed for balance.

whew boy
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

Dean

Post by Dean » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:24 pm

I'd personally like to see some of the new weapons out there added in like the maul, but with their appropriate feats. The version outside of CEP actually has the feats, while CEP doesn't.

New clothing/armor models, weapons, tilesets.

Also head vfxs, like the spectacles. Mmmyeah...

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:09 pm

I am most excited by the possibilities this opens up for custom new features. No longer will the devs be limited by restrictions placed on them by the engine when creating new classes, spells, feats, etc. I’m also looking forward to some new tilesets. Most of the ones I have seen that Irongron linked were mostly surface based tilesets so I hope that the Underdark gets some love too.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Memelord wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:58 pm
Just avoid the CEP clothing options. Or most things from CEP in general. Curate and prune everything quite thoroughly, because there's a lot of HAK packs and bundles out there which contain some genuinely awful things - like most of the CEP clothing options.
I'm in absolute agreement with this. While we can borrow inspiration from some items in the CEP, it's best to entirely stay away from that pack. It's cluttered and filled with downright ugly-textured clothing and creatures. Having played on servers in the past that relied on the CEP, I always dreaded the plethora of options where half of them were hideous and only a small handful were actually decent.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting new clothing styles, armors, dresses, robes, hoods (for all races), cloaks, and so on. Even weapons and shields. But it has to be done with the excellence and standard that the Arelith devs are known for, otherwise it'll quickly delve into "Yet another CEP hakpack" territory.